GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
So the air filter sits in front of the driver side wheel. If you don't have anything under it, or it's very open, it will get filthy especially if it rains. I have everything enclosed very well and when it rained the filter got pretty wet. A filter rain cover would be a good investment if you go that route.

I think I'll end up making one, and used the money saved on some suspension components. Wanting to upgrade my coilovers and get some sway bars/unibrace.

Or get some upgraded sound.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
For those with aftermarket intake pipe that is not IE's, where are you routing the PCV to if still using pcv? I had IE's manifold but a hacked up usp pipe (didnt fit with manifold, had to cut it so it is now a short ram intake) but there's no bung for pcv. Went to shop to see if they could weld one, but they said the metal is too thin and their welder would blow right through it.

I had bought a used PFlow which I used in conjunction with the little piece I had left from the USP intake. I was not running a PCV though and was just routing vapor through a catch can and back to the intake. If you run the PCV to the intake before the throttle body likely the PCV is not functioning very well at idle. There is a fair amount of vacuum to operate the PCV when routed to the intake manifold and very little vacuum at the Intake by the air filter. It basically becomes a draft tube. I know IE routes to this spot which is fine as long as you accept the fact the the valve is likely not closing at idle and you will probably start losing some oil. The PCV is actually pretty finely tuned to the amount of vacuum being applied at various driving conditions (idle vs cruising). So the PCV on the golf was designed to be run off manifold vacuum and the spring in the PCV has tension to match. Pulling vacuum via venturi at the intake tube provides significantly less vacuum which will likely not be able to overcome the spring tension in the PCV.

You can add a barb fitting in the base of the air filter to attach the pcv hose.

Last edited:

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
right now i can tell you its pulling oil, its routed to one of the smaller fittings on the IE manifold. I had clear silicon hoses on for some time so I could check this, and that proved to be true. Ideally i'd like it to stop eating oil

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya sounds like not enough vacuum to open the PCV enough at idle. You could add another line off the 1/4" port on the manifold and tee into a larger 3/8" or more line, but if your still not pulling enough vacuum at idle to sufficiently open the PCV it will likely actually make it worse as you'll be drawing even more vapor and oil.

Last edited:

tBass84

Ready to race!
I was hoping I never needed to post this, but it’s time to say good bye to the 2.5. The insurance was not good with me. RIP Elli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
I was hoping I never needed to post this, but it’s time to say good bye to the 2.5. The insurance was not good with me. RIP Elli.

I…m sorry to see it go man. Totalled? Or insurance won't cover?

Sent from my ANE-LX3 using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion

I am so sorry to see this. It was a beautiful car. My insurance reimbursed me for aftermarket equipment when a deer totaled my civic 3 years ago. You may want to check before parting out.

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Rejigged my intake properly this time with a breather filter and got rid of the MacGyver'd stock intake hose. Will be heading back home for a month for the holidays which means no Golf during that time- too bad I can't take it out for a spin before I leave, since my passenger side has no headlights :lol:

Pics of the intake

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I would be very sad to lose the 2.5L. It takes a licking and keeps on tickin. Plus it sounds badass. Whenever I am on bluetooth in my car and give it some gas people always ask..."Damn what was that?" That my friend was the little golf 2.5L.

Last edited: