GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whispbar

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Also, the Whispbar looks really clean on the sides because its flush with the sides of the car. I know you can get different size bars for the Yakima racks. Is there a size small enough where it looks flush as well or is the smallest size shown on the pictures above where the bars are hanging over the sides? I think those are the 58" ones right?

nothing a pipe cutter can't fix

Naoki

Ready to race!

SkudShark

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone tried carrying a 10' or smaller Kayak on the Whispbars using either foam blocks or actual cradles?

I have a 2 door GTI and I'm debating on getting them vs. the Thule option but I need to make sure they can handle at least a 45lb boat or less.

dowens

anyone still listening?
i just bought a whispbar rack for my 2011 GTI 5dr, with the K334 mounting kit.
however i see that the pins on the mounting kit are much larger than the tiny holes in the black plastic receiver in the front door frame. any advice appreciated!
thanks
DO

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
anyone still listening?
i just bought a whispbar rack for my 2011 GTI 5dr, with the K334 mounting kit.
however i see that the pins on the mounting kit are much larger than the tiny holes in the black plastic receiver in the front door frame. any advice appreciated!
thanks
DO

Those black plastic pieces are just plugs that cover the actual holes. Take those out and you will easily be able to fit the pin from the bracket into them.

If you still have trouble, try taking a picture and posting here to make it more clear what the problem is. Good luck.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
One other tip I thought I would share with you for fitting the Whispbar...

You probably noticed how you got a manual that came in the box with the bars, and another manual (that looks almost identical) in the fit kit box. One subtle difference between the manuals is that in the back of the manual for the fit kit, there is a page that shows you dimensions for adjusting the width of the bars. The Whispbars can be a little tricky to get the width set correctly on the initial install unless you refer to that page and set the width of the bars prior to putting them on the car. It makes it much easier, and is much less ambiguous than trying to adjust the width while you're installing them. The way the feet sit near the roof rails isn't as intuitive as it might seem, because the feet don't follow the same line as the OEM racks would on the rails. Use the width setting in the manual and you will be good to go. Hope this helps.

psode27

Passed Driver's Ed
Being unfamiliar with these racks, do these scratch the hell out of paint anywhere? I went from a truck to 2 door GTI and I have a kayak to move around. I don't mind the racks, but don't wanna scratch my car! Sorry to thread jack a bit!

Feyd

Being unfamiliar with these racks, do these scratch the hell out of paint anywhere? I went from a truck to 2 door GTI and I have a kayak to move around. I don't mind the racks, but don't wanna scratch my car! Sorry to thread jack a bit!

Probably not initially... but over time if road debris/dirt/salt, etc. work their way under the rubber foot pads, it's a possibility.

I ordered a set of these with my rack for extra protection.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Roof_Rack/ES1872001/

:thumbsup: