GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR vs DG springs?

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Since VWR springs are now available at a good price I was wondering how they rate with DG springs.

Link to VWR:http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/parts/vwr-sports-spring-kit-22/

Here are the specs of VWR:

Front Spring:

Lowering range: 20-25mm

Spring rate: 31N/mm

Wire diameter: 13.25 mm

Coils: 6

Rear Spring:

Lowering range: 20mm

Spring rate: 33N/mm

Wire diameter: 12.5mm

Coils: 8.5

Anybody have the specs on DG springs?

Update: It looks like per Benders review, the DG springs provide a 15mm drop.
Still trying to figure out the spring rate though. Way to many pages in that thread to scan!

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Progressive vs. Linear

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Progressive vs. Linear

This has been my understanding, although I've heard both with regards to the VWR springs. I have yet to see anybody actually order them, take a picture of them, and install them. So it's hard to really know anything. Somebody will have to take a leap. DG are proven, and cheap. :iono:

Also, where do you get the VWR springs, and how much?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
This has been my understanding, although I've heard both with regards to the VWR springs. I have yet to see anybody actually order them, take a picture of them, and install them. So it's hard to really know anything. Somebody will have to take a leap. DG are proven, and cheap. :iono:

Also, where do you get the VWR springs, and how much?

No clue, but i've gathered they're MUCH MUCH more expensive than the DG springs. Why bother? Just because they say VW on them?

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
They run $247 plus shipping.

Last edited:

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Everything I see/read shows linear.

They are just a hair more expensive than DG. ($15)

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I saw a thread a while back that compared these. People always brand dg springs as VWR as well. I dont know though. I could be wrong.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
$247 delivered from where?

I'd still love a real picture of them, not a marketing pic. I've read linear as well, but somewhere else said progressive. Then I read they switched suppliers. So, that's 1 reason why I'd love a real pic of them. I'd also love to see a pic of them installed to see how much of an actual drop there is. There just isn't enough info for me, but I'm certainly intrigued by them. So in my mind, it's a risk. Only a $247 plus labor one, but it's still a risk.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Would love photos!

You can upload to picasa or flickr or any number of sites and then link to them. Gotta create an account and all that.

Otherwise, just download them to your computer from your phone and then post them.

Also, how much of a drop did you get? Can you confirm of they are linear (even gaps between all coils) or progressive (coils wound tighter at one end). Are you on the OEM dampers as well? And finally, any chance we can get you to measure from the fender lip to the ground front and back? Sorry for all the questions, but it's cool that somebody actually has these.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Also, are you 2 or 4 door and DSG or manual??

Looking forward to pics!

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Looks just like my first pic! Can you do a close up of the back? It kinda looks like the rear is lower?
Can you confirm linear?

What part number did you use?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Damn, that looks good! Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
So, how does it ride?
Softer or harder than stock?
Does it bounce?
Some say that DG springs on stock struts/shocks give a better ride.
Your thoughts on these as far as ride quality vs stock?