GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender roll/pull

Meegis

Ready to race!
Still don't understand why people roll.... (unless you have air, at which point there's more than rolling needed)

Hakuna_Matata

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

Still don't understand why people roll.... (unless you have air, at which point there's more than rolling needed)

Hi bud
I needed to roll for a different application. Besides cosmetic appeal; when a car doubles it power over stock, and the car is fitted with big tires and wheels and in order to ensure that the tires don't rub with OEM fenders a strategic roll / pull of fenders is imperative.

Now, I hope you understand y people roll. :thumbup:

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
I had my two front fenders rolled at Simply Tire. I believe it was $35/corner.

That's a badass price I wish I paid that. I won't even say where I got mine done because I probably overpaid.

Or you know.... You could use A baseball bat and blow dryer

When I had my air installed, I waited about a week and a bit to see how necessary the fender rolling was. Although I didn't do any damage or create bacon fenders in the week without rolled fenders, I could assume that it would've happened. Now that it's done, I'm able to use a lower ride height and comfortably turn my tires while aired out.

Repooc

Ready to race!
I rolled my front fenders as a precautionary measure before installing my coilovers. I was so paranoid that I was going to rub and cause 'bacon fenders' or chip the paint... it only takes one time, and you can't go back... and it looks so horrible and very amateur.

Also had mine done at SimplyTire... they did an OK job. They trimmed the inner liner as well which was a nice touch. I say "OK" because after he rolled the fender he didn't bend up the metal tab that was once attached to the liner, and I had to call them out on it. After that, all was well. The difference is pretty subtle and you'd have to be really looking to tell that my front fenders are rolled.

I'm by no means "mad low"... about 24.5 FTG all around, but I do run an exceptionally larger tire (235-35-19) on 19" wheels. I hear that if you run 225-35-19 tires with a modest drop, fender rolling is not required. I had 225's before and bent a rim, not to mention it was super harsh. That bump up to a 235 series tire made a world of difference when it comes to comfort; especially being my daily driver.

Meegis

Ready to race!
Ok. It seems I'm being schooled by those around here who have no idea who I am or how long Ive been tuning cars...

Hi bud
I needed to roll for a different application. Besides cosmetic appeal; when a car doubles it power over stock, and the car is fitted with big tires and wheels and in order to ensure that the tires don't rub with OEM fenders a strategic roll / pull of fenders is imperative.

No, I hope you understand y people roll. :thumbupw:
I understood that, but it still isn't required.

1. My car is dropped significantly
2. My car is K04+... so I have enough power to understand
3. I run 19" wheels, in fact last summer I was running 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear... so width was WAY out

Now... You seem to be making it out that I don't understand the dynamics of a vehicle and its reasoning. My original question was based on the fact that (as I said) unless you are stupid low on coils or running air, the "need" for fender rolling is unwarranted, and definitely NOT "imperative" as you said it to be. In fact, it is very easy to crack paint clear coat when rolling a fender, and also causes unecessary stress to both paint and metal in the process.

I listed my responses to your "imperative" points, and I have not needed to roll my fenders, I have not needed to do the fender screw mod, and I have not rubbed.

As long os you follow proper vehicle dynamic, and do things within the spec realm of natural, you really ought to think about the potential damage of rolled fender with cut liners.

No, I hope you understand why I dont understand why people roll. :thumbupw:

When I had my air installed, I waited about a week and a bit to see how necessary the fender rolling was. Although I didn't do any damage or create bacon fenders in the week without rolled fenders, I could assume that it would've happened. Now that it's done, I'm able to use a lower ride height and comfortably turn my tires while aired out.

Like I said, if you run air, it is completely understandable.

I hear that if you run 225-35-19 tires with a modest drop, fender rolling is not required.

As said above, I ran 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 last summer and have more than a modest drop, never rolled, never rubbed.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
As said above, I ran 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 last summer and have more than a modest drop, never rolled, never rubbed.

You could fit 195s to a 9.5" wheel if you're resourceful. Sure, wouldn't rub a bit either. So what profile tires were you running f/r?

wbean

attention whore
if you're running 235/40/18 on a 8.5 et45 with more than anything but a 1" drop, you'll rub.

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
Meegis, oh wise one, in no way was I trying to school you. Simply was adding my useless input.

Hakuna_Matata

Passed Driver's Ed
Oops this tuner is Toooned.

Ok. It seems I'm being schooled by those around here who have no idea who I am or how long Ive been tuning cars...

I understood that, but it still isn't required.

1. My car is dropped significantly
2. My car is K04+... so I have enough power to understand
3. I run 19" wheels, in fact last summer I was running 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear... so width was WAY out

Now... You seem to be making it out that I don't understand the dynamics of a vehicle and its reasoning. My original question was based on the fact that (as I said) unless you are stupid low on coils or running air, the "need" for fender rolling is unwarranted, and definitely NOT "imperative" as you said it to be. In fact, it is very easy to crack paint clear coat when rolling a fender, and also causes unecessary stress to both paint and metal in the process.

I listed my responses to your "imperative" points, and I have not needed to roll my fenders, I have not needed to do the fender screw mod, and I have not rubbed.

As long os you follow proper vehicle dynamic, and do things within the spec realm of natural, you really ought to think about the potential damage of rolled fender with cut liners.

No, I hope you understand why I dont understand why people roll. :thumbupw:

Like I said, if you run air, it is completely understandable.

---------

Mate looks like you have no active reading skills. You are just another C grade student (no worries). I won't bother telling you that I was inquiring rolling fenders about a different "APPLICATION" meaning a different vehicle, a different automobile :lol:l other than a VW gti. I hope these synonyms wake your inactive mind and enlighten you to my post.

I have been helped and your inefficient input is no longer required Mr. Tuner.

End of discussion.