GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hard wiring dash cam

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I just got a a118c dash camera and I want to hardwire it in, but I really don't understand what I'm doing. I read the diys and I'm still and idiot..er I mean confused. Can I get a witness?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
It's probably better if you let someone else install it for you. VW electronics isn't fun when something goes wrong due to improper install.

goose1

Ready to race!
That particular camera should run off a 5VDC USB. You get yourself an "Add-a-fuse" or "fuse tap", along with either a hardwire kit or a loose cig lighter with wires hanging off it and a usb charger to plug into that. Figure out which fuses are switched with the ignition and use the fuse tap on that. You take the red wire coming out of the fuse tap to your power and you get another black wire, crimp on a ring terminal and take the top screw off the fuse box and use that as your ground.

For me that was the easy part, the hard part comes when you want to properly route the wires behing the A pillar instead of just tucking them in.

Fuse tap

Camera USB hard wire kit

Ligher socket

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I had a lot of issues with the junk cigarette lighter voltage regulators that come with the dash cams. A couple died, and one killed the camera. Also the crap insulation would crack in the -20*F Ohio winters. I ended up building my own more powerful, more compact, more reliable circuit using a L7805 and .1uF / .33uF smoothing caps. I adhered it to the roof under the headliner with double sided thermal tape, so it should never overheat. The +12v switched input is connected to an open circuit in the interior fuse panel. Ground it anywhere, you can put a ring terminal on it and use one of the fuse box mounting bolts. The output of the vreg obvious connects to the dash cam. Pull off the A pillar trim and run the wires under the headliner and down along the A pillar wiring to the fuse box. Make sure you bundle it to the existing wiring harness so it doesn't get in the way of the side curtain airbag.

http://www.my-gti.com/601/addition-of-extra-circuits-to-the-volkswagen-golf-jetta-passat-eos-scirocco-rabbit-fuse-box

Last edited:

goose1

Ready to race!
I ended up using a decent twin usb charger and wired a cig lighter in to the fuse box and junked the one that came with it as it was so bulky, I have plenty of power and still have an open USB port if I want to hardwire anything else. Actually just wired in my compact CB radio, it really is easier than you would think to do.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
I'm assuming you want the cam to start recording upon startup..

Buy a fuse tap from Autozone and attach the red wire to it.
Buy a 10 amp fuse for the fuse tap
Take the 20 amp fuse from Position 42 (the rear wiper fuse position... I THINK, look at the manual to make sure) and replace it in the lower position of the fuse tap.
Now insert the 10 amp fuse in the tap and replace the whole thing in Position 42 (again, look it up).
You can pop off one of those nuts you see above and to the left of the fuse panel and use the stud/bolt to install your ground wire (black)

Now just route your wires however you want along the headliners

good luck!