GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

heapaleap

Has anyone reported a later model mk6 tensioner failing? I have a 2014 manufactured in late 2013 curious if I should be worried.

You should be ok. I've read people who have MK6's built in late 2011-early 2012 have had the updated tensioner. I've also read people in that time frame who've had their's fail. I imagine that was the time frame VW started switching tensioners. Mine was built September 2011 so I have my fingers crossed. Just passed 60k...

sdremsw

Update - apparently there are some production periods covered by an extended warranty specifically related to the timing chain tensioner however the service rep wouldn't elaborate.

Also, after spending the $3,500 to have the car repaired two weeks ago I open the hood to look at something else yesterday and notice that they haven't even replaced the screws that hold the cooling fans to the back of the intercooler. The whole thing is sitting loose in my engine bay. I'm so completely and utterly disappointed with the lack of service I've received from Volkswagen. They're going to enjoy having me show up today and have them explain to me how they can supposedly spend 22.5 hours putting my car back together but not even finish the job properly.

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
Update - apparently there are some production periods covered by an extended warranty specifically related to the timing chain tensioner however the service rep wouldn't elaborate.

Also, after spending the $3,500 to have the car repaired two weeks ago I open the hood to look at something else yesterday and notice that they haven't even replaced the screws that hold the cooling fans to the back of the intercooler. The whole thing is sitting loose in my engine bay. I'm so completely and utterly disappointed with the lack of service I've received from Volkswagen. They're going to enjoy having me show up today and have them explain to me how they can supposedly spend 22.5 hours putting my car back together but not even finish the job properly.

Does that mean if I check it and it has the old one I could bring it in and they'd update it? Anyone have more info on this?

Also sucks about your service. Some dealers just suck I had one trying to charge me for 3 bent wheels when the car just needed the rotors replaced ?

Uni Stage 2 | SPM DP | Magnaflow CB | S3 IC | 034 Mounts | HPA Red Puck | FX350 Kit | BSH Intake | Rev D DV | DG SS | Driver mod ?

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!

Does that mean if I check it and it has the old one I could bring it in and they'd update it? Anyone have more info on this?

Also sucks about your service. Some dealers just suck I had one trying to charge me for 3 bent wheels when the car just needed the rotors replaced ?

Uni Stage 2 | SPM DP | Magnaflow CB | S3 IC | 034 Mounts | HPA Red Puck | FX350 Kit | BSH Intake | Rev D DV | DG SS | Driver mod ?

Thats just a tsb to help inform technicians, thats not a recall or campaign.

There is no warranty outside of 3/36, 5/60.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Just replaced my tensioner a few weeks ago. I have a 2011 with a build date of 11/10. My friend who did the job said that normally when the tensioner is removed there is usually some tension/pressure on it but when he took mine off there wasn't any. I used to hear the rattle a few years back but haven't so much recently. The tensioner was the original version and still "looked" ok but I think it was only a matter of time before it would have gave out. I have 33,000 miles on the car. The piece of mind that I now have was worth the cost of parts and hassle of the job.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Well sounds like my GTIs timing chain tensioner is going out just shy of 60k miles :/ started the car up today and jumped out to grab something from the garage, heard an intermittent rattle from the engine bay. Defiantly seems like the tensioner. Setting up an appointment for later this week and looks like I'll be driving my R32 until I can get the MK6 into the shop :/

Do I need to get it towed to the shop or can I drive it in? As I said the noise is only intermittent currently.

Last edited:

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
anybody else signing up for the class-action? here is an email I received:

You previously expressed an interest in participating in a class action against Volkswagen / Audi for defective timing chain tensioners. I am working with a law firm in New York to represent individuals in a class action against the various Volkswagen and Audi entities for 2008 - early 2012 model year 2.0L TSI engine post warranty timing chain and tensioner replacement costs (including related engine damage) together with incidental expenses such as substitute transportation. These tensioner and chain should have been replaced under the original warranty or an extended warranty program since Volkswagen knew these tensioners were defective and would cause premature and often unannounced expensive engine failure. This is evidenced by the subsequent revisions to the tensioner and chain performed in late 2011 in an effort to correct the original defect.
There is no cost for participation in the class action. The law firms handling the case will pay all expenses and will not be paid unless the case is successful. At this time, we are searching for individuals who are interested in participating as named class representatives. It is anticipated the total time commitment for persons participating as named class representatives will be less than 6 hours. This commitment would consist of reviewing the service history of their respective vehicle, responding to Volkswagen’s informational requests and a few hours of deposition testimony. We would prefer a New York or California resident class representative if possible to commence the class action in one of those states since consumer laws there are more favorable than most other jurisdictions. We are also looking for representatives from other states that have large populations. The participation incentive for class representatives (authorized by the court and paid by Volkswagen if the class action is successful) should be between $5,000.00 and $7,500.00. We will attempt to select the best class representative from each state based on vehicle purchase history and failure mileage and date. Although you may not be a named class representative, you will remain a member of the class unless you decide to opt out at a later time. Regardless whether you are interested in participating as a named class representative, you should maintain all your vehicle service and repair records. If your engine tensioner parts are still available, they should also be preserved.

Although each class action has different results, the usual refrain that the class action only benefited the lawyers and they received most if not all of the settlement money is simply not true. The last Volkswagen class action case where I participated concerned engine oil sludge occurring in 1.8L VW/Audi engines. The settlement resulted in tens of millions of dollars in repair reimbursements to vehicle owners for oil-sludged engines and 500,000 vehicle owners received a comprehensive extended engine warranty covering oil sludge related damage.

Accompanying this email is a VOLKSWAGEN TIMING TENSIONER/CHAIN PLAINTIFF INFORMATION SHEET and an AUTHORIZATION TO BE ADDED AS A NAMED PLAINTIFF IN THE VOLKSWAGEN TIMING TENSIONER/CHAIN CLASS ACTION AND REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT. If you are interested in participating in the class action, please complete both documents and return them by email or regular mail promptly as I anticipate filing the class action next week. If you have any questions concerning either document, please email or call me.
Thomas P. Sobran
7 Evergreen Lane
Hingham, MA 02043
Tel: (781) 741-6075
Fax: (781) 741-6074
tsobran@sobranlaw.com

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
So had my GTI towed into the dealership, they said the noise is gone and they see nothing wrong with the car. I think I'm going to get it changed anyways since mine is an early 2012 car.

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
So had my GTI towed into the dealership, they said the noise is gone and they see nothing wrong with the car. I think I'm going to get it changed anyways since mine is an early 2012 car.
Mine is too. The check is very simple and I feel like an idiot because I just took my TOP off and had perfect access to it but didn't check it. Lol

Uni Stage 2 | SPM DP | Magnaflow CB | S3 IC | 034 Mounts | HPA Red Puck | FX350 Kit | BSH Intake | Rev D DV | DG SS