GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think I gotta do a friggen carbon cleaning...

FriggenT1

Banned
And I REALLLLLLLLLLLY don't fuggin want to do it. I told myself the first time I did it, I'd get an aluminum manifold to replace it...but I don't have 950 for that either.

Anyone in md or close wanna do it? Lol

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I did the cleaning myself a few weeks ago, it's honestly not that hard, if your somewhat mechanically inclined do it your self!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Has anybody made one of those BMW walnut blaster attachment tools for our cars yet? That seems like the least annoying way to deal with gunked up valves.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I made my own tool lol,I found a vacuum brush laying around without the bristles, it fit perfectly into the intake port, so what I did was drilled a hole to insert the walnut blaster into, so with the vacuum on I would walnut blast and the particles would be sucked up, making the mess minimal.

Vacuum brush was sort of this shape https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VLWJITK/ref=psdcmw_11333718011_t2_B00SA5FGUQ

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I made my own tool lol,I found a vacuum brush laying around without the bristles, it fit perfectly into the intake port, so what I did was drilled a hole to insert the walnut blaster into, so with the vacuum on I would walnut blast and the particles would be sucked up, making the mess minimal.

Vacuum brush was sort of this shape https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VLWJITK/ref=psdcmw_11333718011_t2_B00SA5FGUQ

Great idea. How well did it work for you? Did it remove it all or did you have to go back in with the chemicals and hooks/pics?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I did mine a few weeks ago just with carb cleaner, picks, "the zip tie tool" and my shop vac. I wouldn't mind doing it this way again its pretty easy I would do it again. You can close 3 cylinders at once so its easy to soak multiple at once. Picks to get off the big chunks first, then soak it in solvent. Zip tie tool to scrape after soaking, then I sucked up the soup with my shop vac and repeated.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I did mine a few weeks ago just with carb cleaner, picks, "the zip tie tool" and my shop vac. I wouldn't mind doing it this way again its pretty easy I would do it again. You can close 3 cylinders at once so its easy to soak multiple at once. Picks to get off the big chunks first, then soak it in solvent. Zip tie tool to scrape after soaking, then I sucked up the soup with my shop vac and repeated.

What's the zip tie tool?? I'm thinking about attempting this once I reach the 70k mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Great idea. How well did it work for you? Did it remove it all or did you have to go back in with the chemicals and hooks/pics?

The walnut blaster took about 90% of the gunk off, I sprayed the left over carbon with CRC valve cleaner and used a pick to scrape it off, the CRC cleaner works amazingly well, I just sprayed it and immediately picked off the carbon without letting it soak.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
What's the zip tie tool?? I'm thinking about attempting this once I reach the 70k mark.

Take about 30 heavy duty zipties and bundle them together with another ziptie or two and you use the ends as a brush to clean the valves. Just a quick little tool you can make to assist in carbon cleaning. Not necessary but it works good. I read about it on a few forums and humblemechanic mentioned it in a video recently.

Attachments

• 038968.jpg
    038968.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 165

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Take about 30 heavy duty zipties and bundle them together with another ziptie or two and you use the ends as a brush to clean the valves. Just a quick little tool you can make to assist in carbon cleaning. Not necessary but it works good. I read about it on a few forums and humblemechanic mentioned it in a video recently.

Oh! Nice! Might have to give that a go

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The walnut blaster took about 90% of the gunk off, I sprayed the left over carbon with CRC valve cleaner and used a pick to scrape it off, the CRC cleaner works amazingly well, I just sprayed it and immediately picked off the carbon without letting it soak.

Awesome, I'll have to go that route when I get around to doing it. Thankfully the first cleaning was cheap, I had it done when an intake manifold failed under warranty.

Surferboy120

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anybody made one of those BMW walnut blaster attachment tools for our cars yet? That seems like the least annoying way to deal with gunked up valves.

I have the BMW tool from when I had my 135I and plan to mod it so I can clean mine with walnut blast. Will have to report back when its done. Its due since I have 66k miles now.