GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Update #1) picked up my trophy recently after winning the novice class...since I've won novice they bumped me up to an official SCCA class where I can start earning points.. but due to my mods I got thrown in the most advanced class (street modified).

Update #2) switched to Redline 5W40... on paper after researching various oil analyses it blows motul & liquimoly out of the water. Hoping after the first UOA it will show stronger results

Update #3) After much debate, I decided the stock intake manifold is going back on the car. It will bump me out of the modified class in autocross where I got totally owned in the last event.

Plus my car is already way past due for emissions, so I need something figured out soon before CT yanks my registration.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
This Gti is going to be a track monster soon! Big brake kit would be a great upgrade; what kit are you looking to get? Could probably pick up a lightly used Stoptech kit for pretty cheap on this site.

Did you take the larger oil pan off yet or are you leaving it on?

I think I am gonna go with the vagtechnicbrembo 345mm kit with the Clubsport S rotors and TTRS calipers. It'll still clear 17" wheels and is actually cheaper than the base 328 stoptech kit (I believe it's ~$1,500 USD for everything).

Still got the Wortec oil pan. Will be keeping it for cooler oil temps since I can't run an external oil cooler due to the accumulator.

clownish

just clowning around
You can buy used ttrs calipers and refinish them yourself to save more. I just bought the carriers recently - been running the full ttrs front brakes and rotors on two different cars for the last several years. Going to use the carriers to step down the rotors and go lighter though. If it works I’ll get another for the other car (daily) and get cheaper rotors.

Are you sure it’ll clear 17s? So far I’ve stuck to 18s and larger - 17s wouldn’t fit over the calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
You say Stratified can't tune for the manifold/idle. How many revisions did they try? How did it feel while in the powerband compared to the stock manifold? I may be getting a manifold soon so I'm VERY curious.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
You say Stratified can't tune for the manifold/idle. How many revisions did they try? How did it feel while in the powerband compared to the stock manifold? I may be getting a manifold soon so I'm VERY curious.

3 revisions. The last revision I thought my engine was going to seize it was so bad.

I don't have anything to compare it to until I get the stock manifold reinstalled, but the overall drivability with the IE manifold was pretty poor under 4k rpm.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Drove the car today with the new stock manifold on... so much smoother, omg. Barely noticed a loss in power. Drug a 135i on the highway on the way home. Car is feeling better than ever. Happier than a pig in shit right now. Going to send some updated logs to Alex to wrap up my 93 tune and start playing with e30.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Missed you at the last autox... I'm assuming you were messing around with the intake manifold. There was a white mk7 Gti there. He said that he thinks he sees you around town

I won my class this past Sunday! Finished 1st out of..... well 1 sooooo theres that.

They put me in C4, I need to go read the classes on the SCCA website and figure out exactly what class I should be in.

CART has their track day tomorrow at Palmer. I won't be going to that, I have to help a friend out with his brakes. And the next autox isn't for a while; believe the end of next month.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
APR Intake finally went in today after work. The car is so much quieter now; I kind of like it. Car is running nice and smooth now, no CEL's after a week of driving. Going to set readiness with vagcom and get this thing through emissions asap.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Missed you at the last autox... I'm assuming you were messing around with the intake manifold. There was a white mk7 Gti there. He said that he thinks he sees you around town

I won my class this past Sunday! Finished 1st out of..... well 1 sooooo theres that.

They put me in C4, I need to go read the classes on the SCCA website and figure out exactly what class I should be in.

CART has their track day tomorrow at Palmer. I won't be going to that, I have to help a friend out with his brakes. And the next autox isn't for a while; believe the end of next month.

Yeah my girlfriend and I decided to spend the day in NYC. It looked like it was going to rain again so I figured I'd skip it. Go figure it turned out to be a great day for it. I saw Kevin's video too--the course looked like a blast.

I'm skipping out on Palmer too. Way too hot and too far. I'd spend more in gas going back and forth so the free autocross wasn't really worth it to me. Definitely going to try to make it to NH though.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Driving up to a professional auto restoration shop on Saturday to discuss body work. I am leaning towards having the whole car painted in addition to the other body work the car needs (straightening pinch welds and fixing rockers).

I am torn between two colors.. what do you guys think?

Crayon Gray (also known as "chalk"):

Carrara White Metallic (a bluish white):

Any other suggestions are welcome. Not looking for anything flashy. Looking for something subtle but unique. I am strongly leaning towards Chalk since it's such a unique color and I think would fit the GTI perfectly with everything else murdered out.

Tifore

Ready to race!
Driving up to a professional auto restoration shop on Saturday to discuss body work. I am leaning towards having the whole car painted in addition to the other body work the car needs (straightening pinch welds and fixing rockers).

I am torn between two colors.. what do you guys think?

Crayon Gray (also known as "chalk"):

Carrara White Metallic (a bluish white):

Any other suggestions are welcome. Not looking for anything flashy. Looking for something subtle but unique. I am strongly leaning towards Chalk since it's such a unique color and I think would fit the GTI perfectly with everything else murdered out.

Dig the Chalk or like a Nardo Gray.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Dig the Chalk or like a Nardo Gray.

I'm a big nardo fan myself.

Also really digging suzuka grey pearl :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
In my continuing quest to pass emissions I scanned my car today after 2 weeks of driving and came up with nine faults. Absolutely shocked I didn't get a hard CEL.

Thankfully, 4 of them could be dismissed since I had misfires when my front PCV hose blew off. The 5th one was the Torque Limit Exceeded code I keep getting from my stratified tune, the 6th one was pointing towards a dying rear o2 sensor (no activity--intermittent), and the last 2 were the typical P0420 code from the high flow cat and a P2275 code for being "too rich" -- the last one is a bit puzzling but I am hoping once I put an o2 spacer on the center o2 that they both will go away.

I talked to Fred over at United Motorsports and will be likely paying him a visit early next month to get custom tuned through him (for both TCU & ECU). Been with Stratified since March and the car is still not running right. Not exactly Alex's fault--not being able to see the car your tuning is a huge disadvantage to the whole remote tuning thing. I ended up selling the manifold since he couldn't properly tune for it but after talking with Fred I wish I just kept the manifold and made the switch earlier.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I really like that Porsche Grey but I'm also a big fan of white. Are you considering a wrap at all or set on getting it repainted? I'm curious how much a wrap would be on average. I'd consider a wrap on my mustang way down the line... something like competition orange or grabber green; colors that weren't offered for my year mustang.

I could never get in contact with UM when I wanted information on their tunes - they seem to always be very busy. But I always hear good things about that shop.

I'll be at the cars and coffee at XLR8 tomorrow, maybe I'll see ya there!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I really like that Porsche Grey but I'm also a big fan of white. Are you considering a wrap at all or set on getting it repainted? I'm curious how much a wrap would be on average. I'd consider a wrap on my mustang way down the line... something like competition orange or grabber green; colors that weren't offered for my year mustang.

I could never get in contact with UM when I wanted information on their tunes - they seem to always be very busy. But I always hear good things about that shop.

I'll be at the cars and coffee at XLR8 tomorrow, maybe I'll see ya there!

Couldn't make the C&C since I had a bunch of other stuff going on that day and I missed yesterday's autocross since my brother-in-law's father passed away.

It's going to be a full paint job and the front nose of the car plus the rear bumper is getting clear bra'd. I decided 100% on Suzuka Grey, my auto body guy was able to pull up the precise formula based on paint code. He's going to do a test spray for me to make sure that's the color I want. A wrap is usually a couple thousand.

I also put an order in for a 35th edition front bumper, SRSTEC wide body fenders, and their fog light delete grills. Still torn on what side skirts to get. Either revozsport or osirusa. Final piece will be a proper rear diffuser from Venus Engineering which I am told will be available for group buy in the next week or two.

In other news, I had to warranty my front super pro end links as they're pretty much toast after about a year. No other real changes yet--I plan on meeting with Fred @ United Motorsports in a couple weeks to discuss tuning options.

Finally--looking at selling the RSE10's and picking up something else that'll match the Suzuka better. I am thinking a nice black would look great along side the small bits of carbon fiber. The TE37 saga's are the ideal size for 255's (18x9) but are obviously crazy money. Enkei has some attractive offerings (RS05RR/GTC01RR/NT01RR) in 18x8.5 that would be able to fit a 255 ok as well and while they aren't "cheap" (~$500/wheel) are still about half the price of the volks (~$850/wheel)