GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni coilovers

Disanto7389

Passed Driver's Ed
So multiple people suggested I try these coilovers, but all of the reviews I am finding are like 6 years old before Koni revised them. Any of you running them?how do the perform in corners?and if you were to do it again, would you? I saw some reviews saying the car handled worse with these than stock set up. I find that hard to believe, but now I'm worried as I already own them, just havent gotten around to having them installed.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
The only feedback I've seee on new revision Koni's is that they don't go as low. I believe 24.5" fender to ground is max lowering now, but not 100% sure. Other than that, it still seems to be the go-to suggestion for people looking for a moderate drop while maintaining ride quality.

Worst case, sell them to me. [emoji51]

Disanto7389

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I literally just read through that entire 45 page post.. lol. My head hurts now after all the information. I didnt purchase them for the low, but for performance(atleast better than stock) and easy to live with day to day. I'm not trying to have my spine disintegrate driving around lol

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
HPA SHS. Gets you to about 24.5" ftg, and they're basically KW V1s specifically valved for street/comfort. There's a used set for sale around here somewhere. I loved them, but wanted more low.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
HPA SHS. Gets you to about 24.5" ftg, and they're basically KW V1s specifically valved for street/comfort. There's a used set for sale around here somewhere. I loved them, but wanted more low.

I noticed on HPA’s site they actually compare the slow bound/rebound to be based from the KW V3 valving and say not to be confused with the SHS to be like the KW V1s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
They could be similar in how they're set up. But the V3s are fully adjustable. HPAs/V1s aren't.

Either way, the HPAs were fantastic. I would've preferred another 1/2" of drop though.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Ive been running these koni coilovers for years now. Theyve been fantastic, 0 issues through 4 ny winters.. but yeah.. they dont go that low.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
They could be similar in how they're set up. But the V3s are fully adjustable. HPAs/V1s aren't.

Either way, the HPAs were fantastic. I would've preferred another 1/2" of drop though.

I was just quoting what their website states. I think I’ll eventually get these as they seem the most appealing to me in terms of the drop I’m looking for, the quality, and all the reviews that talk about the balance between comfort and performance.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ive been running these koni coilovers for years now. Theyve been fantastic, 0 issues through 4 ny winters.. but yeah.. they dont go that low.

That's decently low/the perfect height IMO

And "fantastic" (for ride quality) and "super low" (for ride height) don't usually go in the same sentence, so they have to be doing something right for you. They're a very nice coilover, for the money, IMO

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I was just quoting what their website states. I think I’ll eventually get these as they seem the most appealing to me in terms of the drop I’m looking for, the quality, and all the reviews that talk about the balance between comfort and performance.

The HPA SHS's are :thumbup:

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I was looking for Franco's ride height. Couldn't get there on HPAs. My Ultra Lows are near the top in back and about half way in front. Not very comfortable ride in comparison to HPAs. If you want lower, you'll pay in comfort. Konis seem like a good compromise if you're ok not going lower than what Franco posted.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I was looking for Franco's ride height. Couldn't get there on HPAs. My Ultra Lows are near the top in back and about half way in front. Not very comfortable ride in comparison to HPAs. If you want lower, you'll pay in comfort. Konis seem like a good compromise if you're ok not going lower than what Franco posted.

Is it at all possible to go lower than that and still have a somewhat comfortable ride? Small road imperfections and smooth roads I'd guess would be fine like any other car, but I find moderate bumps to be pretty jarring on my car and it it's only lowered about an inch.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Exactly what I meant

HPA SHS's do sit a hair higher, versus the Koni coilovers, but are more comfortable

And then the Konis would be the 2nd nicest riding coilover, IMO, that sits a little lower than those

Anything lower than that and it definitely gets more stiffer/jarring

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Exactly what I meant

HPA SHS's do sit a hair higher, versus the Koni coilovers, but are more comfortable

And then the Konis would be the 2nd nicest riding coilover, IMO, that sits a little lower than those

Anything lower than that and it definitely gets more stiffer/jarring

Yeah, it really makes me a little jealous of people who run air suspensions. Rough road? Give yourself an extra half inch of bump and you're good to go.

Edmundo

Ready to race!
I've been running on Koni coilovers over the past few years, playing with adjustments and alignment settings. I added H&R 26/24 sway bars about a year ago and the car is really tight. While I would agree that other coilovers are superior, it all depends on the intended use. If only for street use, Koni's should be more than enough.