GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another water pump failure

demon342

Ready to race!
Yup, I'm part of it too and out of warranty and at 150k on the odometer but 56k on the engine (swapped) I just got this engine swapped too and the only issue is this now. Everything should be updated including the timing chain tensioner so this could be the only thing left (fingers crossed) The place I got the engine from gave a warranty so I'm suspecting to milk that but patiently waiting for an answer. My question is I was hoping on going to get a christmas tree this weekend and its about a 300 mile trip, am I safe to run the car this far? My only symptoms are leaking coolant and I already have a bottle in the car along with a jug of water, no over heating and I've only really topped if off twice in the past 5 days. Is there a bigger failure to the water pump that I can run into? I've seen in the forums people getting towed, is that necessary? What would happen if I leave it like this, would it get worse, would the water pump completely fail? Should I just only drive the car when I absolutely need to?

Also I've already taken the VIN from the car the swapped engine came from and looked to see if I can somehow wedge VW into replacing the water pump under that VIN but that VIN doesn't have a water pump recall

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Mine is in the same situation, leaking 8-10z a week but not completely shot yet. No overheating and I keep a bottle coolant in my trunk. I think you'll be ok, but it's still a risk. I've been running like this for a few weeks, and I drive ~100mi+ a day M-F.

I'm going to have the dealer run my VIN, but I doubt they'll cover it due to aftermarket intake manifold.

Gonna replace mine with USP aluminum water pump that comes with lifetime warranty.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Check for a leak around the valve cover. Mine was leaking due to oil leaking onto it. Supposedly you can just pull the engine cover and look underneath the manifold.