GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

seat comfort and reliability

psode27

Passed Driver's Ed
I really like my GTI. compared to the 2.5 golf there was no comparison in my opinion. the shifter seemed more smooth, obviously faster, and just more "fun factor" with the GTI. ONLY downside to me is paying for the expensive stuff at the pump, but I dont really mind. The interior in the GTI is a definite crowd pleaser too! I had leather on the brain, but changed my mind when I saw the plaid interior. My seats have been comfy so far and i'm 6'0", 220 and i'm at 10k mi. I REALLY like the TDI, and that MAY be my next VW, or my fiance's new car in the future. I never drove one, but I really like all that I read about them. As of now I have no regrets!

only complaint is the complete absence of storage room! center console is a joke!

hope this helps!

Rascal

Ready to race!
I have a 2010 GTI, cloth seats. My wife has a base 2011 Golf. I drive both equally these days and I will say i find the GTI more comfortable. The comment about the GTI seats being tighter, or more narrow, is incorrect IMO. The Golf seats are more narrow, with less padding, which is odd. That said I have driven 8+ hours before in the Golf and it did not bother me. Get a long test drive if you can.

Manheim81c

Go Kart Champion
MKV (TSI) 2009 no issues!!! :thumbsup:

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Seat Comfort

I'm wondering if this is something people get used to? Do the seats loosen up over time?

Has anyone purchased a Golf and later regretted doing so because the seats were just to tight?

Over the past 6 months I've noticed my drivers seat is slowly sagging at the back I waiting until it when in for its second service in February then I told them. They admitted it was sagging and ordered a new seat base and frame. They fitted it and its exactly the same as the old one, they told me they can't do anything else there is no modified seat contact VW customer services which I did.

VW said the same they only spoke to the dealer over the phone and asked what had been done. They said go back to the dealer and sit in a new seat to see how that feels, I said thats a bit pointless as the new GTD's come with leather seats as standard now. They said its a 2 year old car its bound to sag over that time period. Ok it my have sagged but fitted and new seat base should have made it like new again which it didn't.

The other thing they suggested was take it to another dealer to investigate. It goes into another dealer next Tuesday they have ordered a new seat base and frame just in case.

I will keep you informed of its progress.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
My golf has gti seats so i dont recal what the non sport seats are like but i know that i hated the jetta seats...

Dont drive the gti if you arent ready to buy one because it will be whispering in your ear for weeks.

Love my golf but would have a gti if i didnt have a house

CarbonSteelGangster

Passed Driver's Ed
I hate my seats they fucking suck. Besides the lack of feedback from the electronic steering, the second worst thing about my gti is the seats. Im small, 5'6.5" and i just can not get comfortable. I think if i got leather it would of been better don't know. Im not gonna sugar coat it. If u dont feel comfortable in the car- do not buy it.

Lend27

Passed Driver's Ed
I love my Golf, but the seats do suck.
I am 5 foot 8 and 160 lbs.
The seats are too narrow and the front lip of the seat is higher than the rear, so much that it feels like the front edge of the seat is pressing against the bottom of my thigh, very uncomfortable. I havent founda way to change the angle to flatten it out a bit.
As a result I had to place a folded up towel under my butt to lift me up, causing the side bolsters to feel not o confining and it also changes the angle a thebit so there is less pressure on my thighs.
Love the Golf, but the seats really suck.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
Not gonna lie they were a bit snug at first but i've gotten used to them and they feel awesome to me now.

jeffs3820

Wow. Thanks much for all the replies!

I should have mentioned. I'm 41, 5'8", 185 pounds (or so). So not a feather weight, but not the biggest guy you'll find.

Isn't it interesting how many different views one gets to the same question. Plus size gentleman finds the seats comfy and two guys with the same relative builds have opposite opinions.

I haven't driven the GTI. I'd like to and plan to, but for me it's likely more car than I need (well, of course, no one "needs" a GTI :)). However, I do like to drive and I'm aware that the GTI has a very high "fun to drive" factor.

Speaking of fun to drive, yeah, the plain vanilla Golf seemed to be doing just fine in that category. Love the low end torque on the VW's

I work for one of the large telcos and we're part of the VW supplier program. A Golf with 4 doors and Sun/Comfort would run me $21,500. That's really a nice price.

Some VERY interesting comments regarding the Civic...maybe CR should be headed where the Civic is concerned.

Also like the TDI of course, but I know they can be more expensive to maintain and I'd never make my money back in fuel savings differential.

So okay, good to know that the seats don't "flatten out" (didn't think they would), so I better make sure it's not something I'm going to learn to hate.

Other that the seats...nice car!

You need to take a long test drive...about 60-90 minutes to make sure the seats are right for you. I once bought a car and didn't do this. Found out after 60-90 minutes in the seat I got really bad back aches . No adjustments would help...just didn't fit. Sold it after a year...

Niebeendend

Ready to race!
I thought this guy's take on the seats seemed to explain it very well. VW has a different philosophy on seats:

http://interlagosgti.blogspot.com/2011/07/it-gets-better-seats.html

"In most cars, the headrest, and the seats exist only to prevent you from snapping your neck or flying backwards through the rear window. The GTI, because it's German, encourages you to engage with the seats. In fact, if you resist, you will be punished. You must engage. "

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I'm always adjusting the seats based on what Shoes im wearing. Not only do I have to go back or forward one tiny notch...I have to raise the seat when I'm back further. You have to find that sweet spot and it changes sometimes. My Benz was the same way. Annoying but very German.

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I'm always adjusting the seats based on what Shoes im wearing. Not only do I have to go back or forward one tiny notch...I have to raise the seat when I'm back further. You have to find that sweet spot and it changes sometimes. My Benz was the same way. Annoying but very German.

Same. When I'm wearing sneakers I find myself moving further back because of how thick they are, but wearing my everyday shoes makes me move up closer.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Haha shoe sole thickness is what I meant. Nope big hairy dude.