GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tires

hypergti

Passed Driver's Ed
Not much feedback on tire forum so trying here also

I need to get winter tires for my 2012 GTI. I live in the Northeast. We generally do not get many deep snow storms, and if so not much driving would be done in it. Considering either Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-Ice XI3. Feedback from people who have either one of these in a snowy climate would be much appreciated.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I've had Blizzak WS70 tires on my wifes MINI for the past 4 winters. Great tires & I'm sure the newest version the WS80 is too. Buy a set of wheels to make changes easier 205-55-16 is the perfect size for your GTI.

amonk

LM60s work great for me. In Salt Lake valley we mostly have cold dry roads, but they had no problem getting me up to the ski resorts after a night of heavy snow.

I switched to them the day after the stock tires nearly spun me out on an on-ramp, never regretted it.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Not much feedback on tire forum so trying here also

I need to get winter tires for my 2012 GTI. I live in the Northeast. We generally do not get many deep snow storms, and if so not much driving would be done in it. Considering either Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-Ice XI3. Feedback from people who have either one of these in a snowy climate would be much appreciated.

I had the X-Ice on 16's for 2 seasons (bought em used 205/55/16). Car had no issue getting out of a parking spot with 5" of fresh powder that my car got stuck in the previous winter on the Stock Detroits. An additional upside is that because it narrower I actually got better fuel economy (Upper 30's on the Hwy at reasonable speeds)

GuiltySpark

Passed Driver's Ed
Whatever is the cheaper of the two. No one here is going to be able to decisively tell you why one is better than the other and both will be MILES better than any all season/summer tire.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yup, but OP only wanted opinion on two.

For a less expensive better value tire you can't go wrong with General Altimax Artic winter tires or Grislav Norfrost 100.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Any brand of REAL winter tire will be soooo much better than any all season. Truth be told all season are only 3 season tires.

McGuillicuddy

Passed Driver's Ed
Can't go wrong with either of those. I had XI3s on my MKIV Jetta and they were fantastic. Have not tried the Blizzaks, but I have read in several places that they do wear faster than the Michelins. So if you are a high mileage driver might want to shy away from those.

Better than both of those are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. Had a set of those on my WRX a few years back and they were money. Just got a set for my GTI for this winter. The only drawback of those is that it might be harder to find replacements if you blow one since they aren't as common as Michelin/Bridgestone.