GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel bearing replacement cost SoCal

Cpuga93

Ready to race!
Hey everyone,
Looks like I’m gonna have to replace my front left wheel bearing. What’s the average cost for labor in SoCal and does anyone have any recommended shops? Also FAG bearings are 260 for both and Orem 202 for one, is Oem worth it ?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
$700 to do the bearing roughly was what I was quoted a while back from a shop in Orange County. FAG is the OEM supplier. I ended up just buying a pair and doing both my fronts while I was at it. It is pretty easy. Took me a few hours to do both but I was taking my time.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
That's a pretty steep price. Sure, you have to pull out the axle and remove the brake rotor, but shouldn't cost all that much.

Give Metric Autosport or AUTuning a call if you're in the OC. Ocean Auto Care in San Fernando Valley is also a trusty option.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Its probably been said before but I have seen questions on FB and on here regarding FAG bearings. I dont know much about them as far as wheel hubs go but...i have a 19hp 70cc 2 stroke scooter and it sees 14k rpm for years now.. my crank bearings are FAG and they are about the best you can buy.

Tharkhold

Jeesus, 700$?? That's an insane amount in any currency!

rockauto.com is your friend. Just make sure the bearings you pick have the 4 x bolts and 1 x axle bolt per and you should be ok.

pelicanparts might have a visual guide on how to change them also, for free.

Take you time and do them yourself, you don't need a full garage for them, and you'll learn alot doing so.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Jeesus, 700$?? That's an insane amount in any currency!

rockauto.com is your friend. Just make sure the bearings you pick have the 4 x bolts and 1 x axle bolt per and you should be ok.

pelicanparts might have a visual guide on how to change them also, for free.

Take you time and do them yourself, you don't need a full garage for them, and you'll learn alot doing so.
I bought FAG bearings and they came with new bolts (check before buying). Should also replace the caliper carrier bolts (N 909 488 02).

Axle bolt: WHT 005 437

Also, if you DIY, I've encountered two different kinds of bolts securing the bearing assembly to the spindle. Triple square, and torx. May want to have a set of each handy.