GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XDS Settings WOW!!!

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Any problems with this on ice vs dry roads?
I was reading somewhere else (can't recall where now) that this setting could be a problem in the winter with slushy/icy roads.

As I don't have a Vagcom I cannot be turning this on and off for different conditions.

It can only help in slippery conditions. More traction is more traction.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
XDS 2 not great on 50% tire tread

It can only help in slippery conditions. More traction is more traction.

I've had XDS setting at 2 for over 6 months now and in the curves it is the shizzle! However, I've had a couple of scary moments on wet pavement with my crap A/S Dunlop stock tires.

1)leaving the gym one night and there was water from a sprinkler on the blacktop road. I was not driving fast but just took the corner out of the parking lot a bit too quickly...my XDS seemed to kick in aggressively and I slid almost into the opposite curb. Luckily there were no cars coming into the lot at the time. Yes this could be more about my worn tires (50-70% tread est.) but I think it was the combo of crap tires and aggressive XDS setting.

2)making a quick turn onto a side street in dry conditions and my car started sliding the front end. Again I think the XDS at 2 is REALLY braking hard in this type of situation and my tires are not good enough to grip the road when braking is kicking in via XDS 2.

This weekend I switched back to stock setting to see if I feel a difference and I now feel safer overall as handling is more predictable on my crappy tires. With nice summer tires or new A/S tires I'm sure these XDS 2 problems would be virtually non-existant. However, until I get new tires I'm staying at the stock XDS setting.

XDS at 2 is probably not a great idea in snowy conditions in which you want full control of when you're car is braking (based on my experience on wet pavement). :iono:

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I've experienced the same.

With XDS=0, if you give it too much power and exceed traction, the inside wheel spins. This is pretty safe because the outside tire still has traction, just no power going to it.

With XDS=2, the traction threshold is much higher, but if you exceed it, it seems that both front wheels spin causing total understeer. Gotta be careful.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Good to know. I'll probably turn it off come winter, especially since I run snow tires.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
XDS=2 will give you more grip, its just loses more grip when you exceed the limit. The good news is that understeer is easy to get out of, just lift off the gas. It's the safe way to find your traction limit since you won't spin.

I'll keep it on all the time, just remember that if you understeer, back off the throttle. Its not scary.

If conditions are bad, i would put it into stock power mode though.

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
just to be clear and that I understand --- the "change" in setting is from "0", which is stock?
a "1" setting is "weak", and this is weaker than stock?

and "2" the desired setting, is STRONG?

DarkCloak

Banned
LSD is night and day difference on this car. XDS doesn't compare to real LSD at all.

XDS is cool and all, and the 2 setting did make a difference but nothing compared to what the Wavetrac did to this car.

:word: I have moved my XDS to 1 so that it is less intrusive. I think I may find a way to permanently deactivate it. It really just gets in the way of the LSD.

DarkCloak

Banned
Wish I can use a wavetrac... it's gonna be Peloquin (race version) for me.

What I meant to say is that as far as wheel spin goes... it's a given because our car's are front wheel drive... so I wouldn't expect the car to feel like a rwd or awd with the addition of a mechanical LSD.

It will though make you're car they way front wheel drive is supposed to be. You will be on the throttle with the tail out the way the XDS never will allow.

This the XDS is a cost saving measure it is not an LSD. Here is some great Frontie driving!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur6X1dCI9Bc

randy915

Ready to race!
Just looking for an update.
Any more comments on the XDS setting? Anyone having any problems or seen any downside to this?

XDS:2 will make the car is more eager to rotate on turn-in especially if your suspension setup is geared towards neutralizing understeer like with a stiffer rear sway in the rear.

It's a great setting and recommended for enthusiasts but don't forget you're still driving a GTI, so it prefers to go into a corner a reduced speed and feed the power to slingshot its way out and NOT the other way around.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Would having an upgraded suspension, stiffer swaybars front and back and lowering springs or coils, eliminate the need for XDS = 2?

Or would it make the upgraded suspension better?