GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Let's be honest. The real motto around here is 'keep adding power until it shreds a trans'

The post that makes you realize you aren't ready to play with the big boys :-(

I'm still ready for more power but I'm not ready for the bill that comes with wrecking a DSG!

U-20T

Go Kart Champion

I'm still ready for more power but I'm not ready for the bill that comes with wrecking a DSG!

Need like 650chp or vr6 torque to start getting to that point. Mine was at 33-34psi but I ran a ton of passes at 30psi no problems

zrickety

The Fixer
I go on the tight side, .024 I think. They get bigger over time.

a3scott20

Ready to race!

the boost curve must be smooth so you can avoid DSG slippage.

I burnt two factory clutch sets and one Dodson clutch set because of boost coming up too fast, this is what I figured out after burnt too much money on exchanging clutch sets and DSG mech (due to extreme temps). Or you can find a good tuner who is able to make your clamping force increased to like 15-16bar.

Noted some of those big name DSG brands mentions increased clamping force in the file but it actuality does not increase on some DSG mechs, at least this was what I saw on my friend's car. In my opinion, the maps they adjusted for increasing clamping force are different on those DSG mechs that is not able to have clamping pressure increased.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
So guys, I may be jumping into the BT world to get about 350hp no meth. Is there a cliff notes for this thread?
I see jettaglis has the turbo I'm looking at.

Sent from phone Tapa

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So guys, I may be jumping into the BT world to get about 350hp no meth. Is there a cliff notes for this thread?
I see jettaglis has the turbo I'm looking at.

Sent from phone Tapa

I think the atp stock location kits are the cheapest way to go BT, the manifold design is less than optimal but will get you to your power goals. Of course you never said you we're looking to do it on the cheap so a stage 3 kit from one of the tuners may be the route to go since it's an all inclusive solution. You may get told by some to just go k04 or similar with those power goals but having done the F23 and now looking to go BT I say you're on the right path, do it once do it right [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I won't say money is no object because that wouldn't be true. I am just looking for more than k04 without having to build up motor or do fueling. I was under the impression that stage 3 kits required those upgrades. Plus I think 400hp+ would be too much for my usual street application.
I am already eurodyne tuned because of my original build plan, so ideally I would want a kit solution that would not require a new tuner. I'm not in a rush and I am willing to ro the research. That's how I ended up here.

Sent from phone Tapa

kern417

Go Kart Champion
if you already have eurodyne you can pretty much do whatever you want. find a used kit, buy a new kit, or put together a custom one.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone follow RJRacing05 on golfmk7 on instagram? IS38 APR+JB4 MK7, full interior, just ran a 12.2@121MPH on street tires. The want to part out my car and buy a MK7 gets stronger by the day...

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone follow RJRacing05 on golfmk7 on instagram? IS38 APR+JB4 MK7, full interior, just ran a 12.2@121MPH on street tires. The want to part out my car and buy a MK7 gets stronger by the day...

My plan was to wait for the mk8 but now they've released the mk7.5 refresh the wait may be a little longer than I anticipated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Tell me about it.

Mk7s are such a better platform on the whole. Lighter, better fuel system, out of the box lsd, no oil issues.

I wish someone would just give me like $14k for the thing so I could move along. I made a spreadsheet a few weeks ago, and selling at crack used prices there is at least $11k worth of shit on this thing, and that's not counting getting anything for the motor stuff. So basically 3k for the car, 11k for parts. Anyone? LOL.

Edit: And agreed, out of the box LSD, stupid power with an OEM turbo, not to mention LIGHT. I know HS Tunings base model 4 door MK7 without the spare or tools weighed 2800 pounds..