GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Longevity

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
^ LOL

My 2 Cents...you don't get to where APR is without doing stuff properly.

I agree, but when they say "nothing is wrong with our products" or the big one for us TDI Guys "The TDI doesn't need a DSG tune, it works perfect without it"; One starts to wonder about the validity of their products, and then starts searching and finding a huge number of complaints of tuning issues, engine malfunctions miles down the road that is linked directly to their flawless parts (i'm not arguing their parts are the problem, I'm arguing their execution of the part is the problem), or drivability issues after installing mechanical parts. Their suspension stuff and mounts are awesome. I was going to use them, but when you see all this negative on the forums (which I know that is where people come to gripe and complain), it is hard to make a decision to "goapr".

But I'm done with the bs of the Apr issues...

Back on Topic... Hopefully the OP gets the issues resolved, but if you are going to do any Modifications, you have to look at it from an Engineering OEM perspective and ask yourself - "if I do this, will that go bad, or effect this part?" If you just make sure ALL parts added will work with the Package as a WHOLE, then reliability won't be an issue.

Last edited:

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Oh, and one last thing, you say you all work well with Audi, then explain this http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/413062-Complaint-toward-APR-ECU-Tune-and-APR-itself
so what it got fixed, the problem is if your product is so well "engineered" there shouldn't be a "fix" done to make it "right"

I'm sorry, I was going to resist saying anything BUT these sort of complaints bother me. APR (Uni, REVO etc.) simple writes a code for the ECU that's all they do. Writing the code and fine tuning the code is what development is for. Once the code is fine tuned and written that's it. APR's job is done as far as I'm concerned. The code works the same for every car because there is no variables...unless you introduce variables not associated with the actual coding.

The problem with all these ECU's is down to the installation and having someone who know's what they're doing to make sure it's done right. An ECU is like a hard disk drive, in the sense it is very delicate and susceptible to things like dust particles. Anyone getting an ECU tune should know the risks associated with cracking open something that is meant to be sealed, hence the person should trust the person actually handling it.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
And aren't TDI's known to be less reliable than other VW engines?

Well, not really. Low grade diesel plays a HUGE part and in the US rarely can you find a gas station selling quality diesel like they have in Europe

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I unloaded my GTI just shy of 50,000 miles for a pair of used cars that will hopefully be more reliable. It was a fun 1.5 years with the car but it just wasn't worth the headaches.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
I like TDI's for what they are but.... tuning a TDI is like putting lipstick on a pig. Why would you do it? And aren't TDI's known to be less reliable than other VW engines?

Actually, the only issue is the HPFP, and those are almost non issue anymore, as long as it isn't a flaw. The main issue with modding a TDI is the DPF and the rest of the Emissions. I see TDIs around here and other VW Diesels with as much as 400k miles on them.

Last edited:

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
I unloaded my GTI just shy of 50,000 miles for a pair of used cars that will hopefully be more reliable. It was a fun 1.5 years with the car but it just wasn't worth the headaches.

what'd ya get?

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
How would I get around that if all I had was a TDI?

Once a week, go for a long highway drive and run it up to full temp and for at least 30 minutes at speed. This should get the dpf and the ecu to go into regen.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I like TDI's for what they are but.... tuning a TDI is like putting lipstick on a pig. Why would you do it? And aren't TDI's known to be less reliable than other VW engines?

:lol:

1.9 TDI's last longer than any 1.8T in existence

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
what'd ya get?

What a tease saying he unloaded the GTI and not saying for what. Drunk Griff is on the forums right now... and still kinda wants a goddamn 'Stang 5.0 shoulda test driven today.

After talking to Grambles I'm hoping my next line up might be 2004 S2K and performance Fit though.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
what'd ya get?

Used Honda Pilot and Chevy Spark. I'll be looking at either a Focus of Fiesta ST in a couple years depending on how they have held up. Just basic cheap motoring for now. Given my no commute lifestyle right now leasing a cheap car is a great way to bid time for something nicer. If I do go with a bigger car it will most likely be Korean, Japanese, or US domestic.