GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG vs. Manual

jjmc13

Passed Driver's Ed
This is offensive to those of us who are females and know how to drive a manual/own one

^Agreed. I am a guy, and I hate this stereotype. Male or female, the vast majority of people out there, especially in America, don't know how to drive manual. In addition to that, my mom taught both me and my sister to drive manual. Every time I hear someone says women can't drive manual all I think is, that's BS. Most people, in general, can't drive manual.

That being said, I am a much better manual driver than both my mother and sister, but that's mainly because I drive like a hooligan.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
so much effort there. Im just saying what it cost me to do it. $190 out the door

It literally took maybe a minute tops. You said "You guys are ridiculous with this $800 DSG service shit. It's 100 bucks for the stuff and most performance shops will do the change for another 90 or whatever an hour of labor is. It's just bad information" All I'm saying is, that if you are gonna call out one side having "bad information" you better be able to back it up. $800 is clearly not a ridiculous number that we pulled out of our asses, since multiple people have payed that amount and I have proved that. If we are going to compare these two transmissions, we should do it without spitting BS.

You're trying way to hard to discredit the DSG. :attention_whore:

Not sure what you mean since I am literally just saying that DSG is the more expensive option. I don't think anyone could disagree with that statement. Not sure how that is attacking the DSG in any way.

It amazes me that people have such strong opinions about whether or not DSG or MT is better. Who cares? It's all about what makes you feel more comfortable. I don't think anyone in a DSG has to make excuses for owning an automatic. Drive what you want and enjoy it.

In a macro sense it does matter since we the customers dictate where the market is going. With more and more people picking the automatic option over the manual for convenience over fun, the less car companies are willing to make those manual transmissions. Given a long enough time-frame we might see manuals disappear completely from the market, leaving the true enthusiast that wants the most hands on raw experience to have nothing.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
leaving the true enthusiast that wants the most hands on raw experience to have nothing.

That's right. Everyone who drives an automatic is fake. Get over yourself. Everyone has a different preference and reasons for what they drive. I drove a stick for years, wanted something different. Does that make me any less than you? No. Get out of here. A real enthusiast has respect for anyone that enjoys/shares the passion of the vehicle and the drive.

Last edited:

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
In a macro sense it does matter since we the customers dictate where the market is going. With more and more people picking the automatic option over the manual for convenience over fun, the less car companies are willing to make those manual transmissions. Given a long enough time-frame we might see manuals disappear completely from the market, leaving the true enthusiast that wants the most hands on raw experience to have nothing.

^ Save The Manuals. :thumbsup:

kramsdell

Passed Driver's Ed
^Agreed. I am a guy, and I hate this stereotype. Male or female, the vast majority of people out there, especially in America, don't know how to drive manual. In addition to that, my mom taught both me and my sister to drive manual. Every time I hear someone says women can't drive manual all I think is, that's BS. Most people, in general, can't drive manual.

That being said, I am a much better manual driver than both my mother and sister, but that's mainly because I drive like a hooligan.

Totally true. I couldn't be happier that I learned to drive stick at age 20. Makes driving so much more enjoyable. And I think that anyone, especially in the younger age groups, who knows how to drive manual deserves props.

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie

This, plus the funny thing is a lot of who are talking about manual this and manual that can't truly shift a manual. Trust me I hear and see them all the time. For example, I see some getting NLS option or WOT box. I need none of that when driving a manual and do NLS at will, heel and toe, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying if you can't do above you can't drive a manual, just saying before you try to put down someone else's choice maybe learn to use what you have to the max.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
My 2010 GTI manual is BY FAR.. and i mean BY FAR the best manual i have ever owned.. and for the 20,000 i spent on it, it is more than EMACULATE!! It feels like it it should cost 50g's. I absolutely love everything about it.. granted i have shift bushings, a weighted knob, Short shifter, etc. but i loved it before i put all that stuff on as well.. IMHO, the GTI, quality wise, blows every other car out of the water, in its class of course.. you cant buy a better quality car for the 28,000 a new one costs..

jjmc13

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2010 GTI manual is BY FAR.. and i mean BY FAR the best manual i have ever owned.. and for the 20,000 i spent on it, it is more than EMACULATE!! It feels like it it should cost 50g's. I absolutely love everything about it.. granted i have shift bushings, a weighted knob, Short shifter, etc. but i loved it before i put all that stuff on as well.. IMHO, the GTI, quality wise, blows every other car out of the water, in its class of course.. you cant buy a better quality car for the 28,000 a new one costs..

I really like the manual as well. It's so easy to drive in just about any condition, and I think it's great for heel toe. One question I have for you is how do you feel about clutch feel? I think it's way too soft. I have a south bend stage 2 daily, and the pedal feel is a little firmer but no harder to use which is why I love it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
WOW, Guess I'm an epic pussy candy ass then.