GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front suspension noise

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Getting a metallic sounding clinking noise from the front only when going over bumps. The weird part is that it is only in specific types of bumps. Only bumps that are sharp and change elevation quickly. If it's a smoother bump then the sound really doesn't occur. The sound is best described as a bag of change being shaken or a key ring shaken. It's not very loud and only audible when the windows are down. Ride seems fine but this bothers me. Any thoughts?

drewHA

Check for worn endlinks, or your strut mounts could be on their way out. Stock suspension? How many miles?

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Check for worn endlinks, or your strut mounts could be on their way out. Stock suspension? How many miles?

I have no knowledge when it comes to suspension. What am I looking for? Stock suspension, nothing suspension-wise has been replaced. 80k on the ticker.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Start by looking for cracked or torn rubber bushings and dust boots. If you see anything shiny, and it's slippery like grease or hydraulic fluid, try to identify where it's coming from. Also grab and pull on various parts like the wheel (while it's mounted), strut, swaybar end links, tie rods, etc. Everything should feel solid. If anything rattles or shakes, check where that part is connected for problems.

Does the sound come from both sides of the car? Does it happen only when both sides hit the bump (like a speed bump) or does it also happen when one side hits the bump and the other doesn't?

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Start by looking for cracked or torn rubber bushings and dust boots. If you see anything shiny, and it's slippery like grease or hydraulic fluid, try to identify where it's coming from. Also grab and pull on various parts like the wheel (while it's mounted), strut, swaybar end links, tie rods, etc. Everything should feel solid. If anything rattles or shakes, check where that part is connected for problems.

Does the sound come from both sides of the car? Does it happen only when both sides hit the bump (like a speed bump) or does it also happen when one side hits the bump and the other doesn't?

Thanks for the reply and the helpful info. I'll be sure to do this once I get the time after work. The sound DOES come from both sides, and as long as one of my front two wheels hits the right type of bump, then the sound is heard.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
put the car on the lift the other day and had a very knowledgable friend give her a look see. My front struts are on their way out. Oil is starting to slowly leak out of them. I'm also assuming the mounts are shot as well. I have a koni yellow fornt/rear shock and strut kit in cart at ecstuning. i have a thread I just posted about this and was hoping to see if anyone can comment on how the yellows will ride with OE springs as I don't want to drop the height of the vehicle because it's my DD. I have ecs' upgraded front strut mounts with bearings and front strut hardware as well as rear hardware, but I don't know if that's all i need for a full front and rear installation.