GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

13 GLI vs b20 honda/acura

Today had a modified & lowered B20 honda with turbo. said he was running at 10 psi.

From 3rd gear 45 roll, felt like I had an anchor attached to me =(. Did two runs this way, same result

Last run was 2nd gear, probably 30 roll. I was able to maintain half car. cut it off at 108

Was presently surprised to see how quick these little b20 cars are? Was not expecting such a 3rd gear pull from the other car.

Makes me want upgrades --- is the GLI gearing just that shitty? i mean what the hell.

I have a AWE s3 TOP that I never got around to installing today -- not sure if this would make any difference.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
GLI has longer gear ratios than GTI's, which reduces acceleration, but you get better top speed.

Yeah as I figured and have read before the big difference. And then the turbo beetles have the good mixture of gears?

It's almost feels not worth it to keep upgrading the GLI due to the slow acceleration in 3rd. Have the power but takes awhile to really pull

Suggestions? Brake boost?

fast2ghl

Ready to race!

silverrevlis

Passed Driver's Ed
One thing that will helped me a lot was the GFB DV+, it helps build boost SUBSTANTIALLY faster once back on the throttle minimizing time off boost when shifting.

Thanks for input fella's. More motivation for me to just pull trigger on the F23 purchase in shopping cart.

I have a TurboSmart 50/50 BOV installed -- it definitely helped with the throttle response, and faster boost...also removed the partial throttle boost dumps.

hungti75

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't forget though that most Hondas/Acuras easily weigh at least 500 lbs. less than our cars, which in turn makes them quite a bit faster.
I used to own a Ford Focus hatchback with built motor and a Garrett GT2871 that consistently dyno'd at just over 300whp on low boost, but it was the fact that it weighed a tad under 2500 lbs. that made it fast.
Modded Mustangs, Porsches, Camaros etc. weren't able to keep up.

Weight savings go a long way...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
True. One of the fun things about the k04 GTI is how easy it is to size up. A dsg 4dr k04 makes about a tenth of the power to the wheels as it weighs, so a car would have to put a tenth of its weight to the wheels to keep up. For instance: a Challenger: 4400lbs, would need 440whp. Old ass civic: 2400lbs, 240whp.

Not as easy with a stage 2 tsi, but you get the point.

Yeah -- I was presently surprised. I spoke with a friend of mine and he gave me more details on the cars.

when we did last pull and I started in 2nd gear, I stayed ahead by half car length on him.

Good stuff!