GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hesitation/surge 3,4&5 gear

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Apr stage 1, Unitronic intake, cts turbo catless downpipe. Just had Sachs sre smfw clutch installed. 1 and 2 gear pull really well. Power delivery is very smooth. 3 hits and the exhaust makes a bogging noise as if it's trying to push power out but can't. R8 coil packs and ngk spark plugs were out in over last winter along with an o2 sensor on the turbo flange (cbfa engine). Getting the stage 2 update tomorrow. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Car has 80k BTW

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
3 hits and the exhaust makes a bogging noise as if it's trying to push power out but can't
And because it's in 3rd, 4th, & 5th....

Sounds like the clutch is slipping actually.
You know you're supposed to go easy/break it in first, right?

kbrett11

Ready to race!
And because it's in 3rd, 4th, & 5th....

Sounds like the clutch is slipping actually.
You know you're supposed to go easy/break it in first, right?

It does not happen in 6 gear tho. And only at specific rpm. It isn't clutch slippage. these were not wot pulls

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Also if this helps, that sounds like its bouncing off the red limiter but I'm actually only in 3500-5000rpms. It will make the bounce sound a few times and then continue to pull.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
I have the exact same thing happening to me - it sounds like a repeated really quick suction noise and it only happens in 3/4/5 around 3k-5k RPM and I'm DSG. Everyone says it's surge but nobody has a good idea on how to fix it unless I look at going K04.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I have the exact same thing happening to me - it sounds like a repeated really quick suction noise and it only happens in 3/4/5 around 3k-5k RPM and I'm DSG. Everyone says it's surge but nobody has a good idea on how to fix it unless I look at going K04.

That's exactly what I have. I talked with my tuner yesterday while they were upgrading me to stage 2 and he said it sounded like an issue with the tune. I was running an old stage 1 file. He said the new stage 2 upgrade should solve it. Since my clutch is only about 100 miles into the break in I haven't gotten on it quite enough to induce it. I'll try to see if I can give her enough on my way home from work tonight and post a video if it occurs

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Many of the folks on the 2.X update thread mentioned carbon cleaning helped a lot with the surging. You mentioned you were at 80K

As far as I know I have not had any carbon cleaning done. I have an 80k service set up this weekend. I'll talk to the dealer and see what can be done. I'll keep this thread updated as the new clutch breaks in and the tune adapts more to see if it was just a tune issue.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Update. So I've been stage 2 now for about 700 mikes. Surging is gone now...for the most part. I can go wot in all gears and the power feels very smooth. But, if I give the car say 1/2 throttle in 4th gear, I get very light, momentary surging and once boost kicks in it seems to disappear. This only happens in fourth under those circumstances

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Apr stage 1, Unitronic intake, cts turbo catless downpipe. Just had Sachs sre smfw clutch installed. 1 and 2 gear pull really well. Power delivery is very smooth. 3 hits and the exhaust makes a bogging noise as if it's trying to push power out but can't. R8 coil packs and ngk spark plugs were out in over last winter along with an o2 sensor on the turbo flange (cbfa engine). Getting the stage 2 update tomorrow. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Car has 80k BTW

I'm experiencing the exact same issue since APR v2.0 update, see my thread here

It seems to happen mainly when outdoor temps are high, and when I accelerate WOT in 3rd and 4th gear. The RPMs will bounce between 3500 and 5000 repeatedly, until it eventually smooths out after a few surges. After running logs, I found my throttle plate angle was bouncing between 100% and 15% (throttle cut). When this happens, obviously boost and RPM fall off, until the throttle plate reopens. I didn't get much assistance from APR, so I decided to switch to the 91 octane tune and haven't had any issues since. I honestly believe that the timing / boost curve of the v2.0 93 tune is too aggressive for summer grade fuel. Running 93 octane with a 91 tune seems to be a good compromise.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I'm experiencing the exact same issue since APR v2.0 update, see my thread here

It seems to happen mainly when outdoor temps are high, and when I accelerate WOT in 3rd and 4th gear. The RPMs will bounce between 3500 and 5000 repeatedly, until it eventually smooths out after a few surges. After running logs, I found my throttle plate angle was bouncing between 100% and 15% (throttle cut). When this happens, obviously boost and RPM fall off, until the throttle plate reopens. I didn't get much assistance from APR, so I decided to switch to the 91 octane tune and haven't had any issues since. I honestly believe that the timing / boost curve of the v2.0 93 tune is too aggressive for summer grade fuel. Running 93 octane with a 91 tune seems to be a good compromise.

That's interesting that you are experiencing it with the new update as well. But you have it in 3 and I only have it in 4th. Also you mentioned you get it during wot. My wot pulls are flawless and very powerful. I wish I knew what this was