GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

titanium plating??

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
only idea i have right now is that the parts would need to get chromed and then heat treated?? but im not positive.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
So you don't confuse vendors when you get request quotes: it's impossible to plate(deposit) titanium over aluminum. Heat treating is a process to harden the metal structure by introducing carbon, another term I wouldn't use.

I can't tell for sure but those could actually be titanium lips that have been anodized and have a clear coat over to protect it. Why not just buy those wheels, it would be a lot cheaper.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
So you don't confuse vendors when you get request quotes: it's impossible to plate(deposit) titanium over aluminum. Heat treating is a process to harden the metal structure by introducing carbon, another term I wouldn't use.

I can't tell for sure but those could actually be titanium lips that have been anodized and have a clear coat over to protect it. Why not just buy those wheels, it would be a lot cheaper.

i know you cant plate titanium on aluminium, but the lips on the gram lights arent made of titanium. its just a burnt titanium look that they have. ultimate racing has it on my exhaust, only its all blue and not all different colors like what i want.. oh and those wheels are about $900+ a pop lol

Modshack thanks for all the help, ill see what i can come up with.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I tried searching online about the Gram Light 57 Pro's you posted, you positive the lips aren't Ti? The reason the UR tips are blue are because they are titanium that's been heated with a blow torch, blue is the easiest color to achieve.

The combination of colors on the Rays lips can usually only be done by dipping Ti in an acidic bath with specific currents running through. I haven't seen powder coating that can replicate that range of colors in the same piece.

Even if you were to dip your UR exhaust tip, I'm not sure if the color would be stable because of the heat that its exposed to.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
I tried searching online about the Gram Light 57 Pro's you posted, you positive the lips aren't Ti? The reason the UR tips are blue are because they are titanium that's been heated with a blow torch, blue is the easiest color to achieve.

The combination of colors on the Rays lips can usually only be done by dipping Ti in an acidic bath with specific currents running through. I haven't seen powder coating that can replicate that range of colors in the same piece.

Even if you were to dip your UR exhaust tip, I'm not sure if the color would be stable because of the heat that its exposed to.

the UR exhaust tips cant be real titanium.. its welded onto my stainless steel exhaust... Ti can only be welded onto Ti IIRC.... im just trying to find a chrome color with blues, purples, yellows, and greens mixed in. guess this is harder than what i thought it was gonna be lol

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
The tip could be Ti if it was press fit or riveted to another metal and welded together it's pretty common. I think Akraprovic has a similiar setup since the whole this isn't full Ti.

You can get some pretty wild colors with a bead blaster, torch and some WD-40, but the colors might bleed over time.

I think blue/purple is really you're only long term option

BTW I'm not trying to be a dick with my know-it-all responses, just trying to be helpful is all :D

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
The tip could be Ti if it was press fit or riveted to another metal and welded together it's pretty common. I think Akraprovic has a similiar setup since the whole this isn't full Ti.

You can get some pretty wild colors with a bead blaster, torch and some WD-40, but the colors might bleed over time.

I think blue/purple is really you're only long term option

BTW I'm not trying to be a dick with my know-it-all responses, just trying to be helpful is all :D

no way man, i totally understand.. i personally have no clue how to go about getting the desired color im looking for. your info has been very helpful. i just wish i could get a clear cut answer from someone as to whether or not i can sandblast my wheels, and have a company do that color on my wheels somehow lol. i've been doing alot of searching today, and so far no luck!