GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Deciding between Golf and GTI

cranker1987

Ready to race!
Whats the highway passing speed comparison between the two - (i.e. 60-80mph)?

I've owned both in the MK VI version. Passing-wise at that speed, the GTI has more umph, but for daily driving, the TDI fits the bill if that type of passing is what you are concerned about. The TDI's torque really hums at that range.

Having said that, I'm very happy with the GTI. It does feel slightly more upscale than the TDI and looks more aggressive. I wouldn't go back to the TDI now. However, when the GTD arrives, I'm going to be chomping at the bit for one of those. My commute is roughly a total of 115 miles each day (95% interstate highway) and I truly miss seeing 40+ on my mpg as I pull into work.

So, if you need something in the near term, I'd go with a GTI, unless you can get a great deal on a low-mileage TDI. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I'm around 500miles a week in my GTI and well over 30+ mpg.
Honestly if you drive conservative you will be in good shape. I avg 34 mpg and 36-37 on a good day.
You guys must have some incredibly easy commutes. :thumbsup:

I'd love to see some actual fuelly numbers or similar showing that, as I own both and the GTI can't even come close to that. Driving both my cars on the same route the same way I can easily get 45mpg in the TDI while I struggle to get 30mpg in the GTI.

Real-world figures for both:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/gti

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/diesel l4

Whats the highway passing speed comparison between the two - (i.e. 60-80mph)?

Highway cruising/passing is actually one of the best areas of the TDI; if you are talking about 6th gear pulls for both, they will be pretty even as the TDI is perfectly within its powerband. the TDI's torque is perfectly suited for 60+ cruising. Downshifting a gear will most definitely give the GTI the advantage, however, as it's powerband is more robust once you bring boost up.

I don't think anyone would argue that the GTI is not the more enjoyable car to drive overall; I just think a lot of people sell the TDI short on it's combo of fun factor and economy. ;)

Cranker1987....

Have you noticed a significant cost difference in owning the GTI versus the TDI?

That isn't really easy to answer as it depends on so many factors; but here is some generalized info to give you an idea.

Let's assume the purchase price is identical for both cars similarly equipped (they are pretty close so you could reasonably negotiate either one to ~ the same price). Here is a break-down of fuel costs for a year based on 350 miles per week:

350 miles/week X 52 weeks = 18,200 miles/year

Fuel costs used: AAA Daily averages of course, you'll need to adjust this based on your own area as well.

GTI:
If you only average 26mpg for a year (Model average for 2013s, see fuelly link above):
18,200 / 26 = 700 gallons.
700 gal * $3.629 = $2540.30/year in fuel.

At 30mpg:
18,200 / 30 = 606.67 gallons.
606.67 gal * $3.629 = $2201.61/year in fuel.

TDI:
For the MY average of 40mpg (see fuelly link above):
18,200 / 40 = 455 gallons.
455 gal * $3.843 = $1748.56/year in fuel.

At 45mpg:
18,200 / 45 = 404.44 gallons.
404.44 gal * $3.843 = $1554.26/year in fuel.

So on fuel cost you can expect about $500 - $1000 in savings per year with a TDI. The TDI will need a timing belt every 130,000 miles, so that is ~$1000 more every ~7 years at your mileage. The GTI will depreciate faster than the TDI will, based on history, but unless you plan to sell it quickly I wouldn't really worry about that personally. I drive ~40,000 miles a year so I have ample opportunity to compare both... :D

The Golf TDI will be very similar to your Mazda 3 overall in handling and comfort, but with better fuel economy. The GTI will be much sportier and firmer than the Mazda is but the fuel economy will be similar or slightly worse depending on what year your Mazda is.

As I said already once; I'm not trying to tell you what car to buy. Only you know what you like, and what you need, so you really need to go drive both cars back to back and see how you like them both.

I'm just trying to provide you some accurate figures to work from :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
For some reason, I wanted either a manual TDI or a DSG GTI. Anyone else have the same dilemma? The TDI just felt better to me with a manual transmission.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
For some reason, I wanted either a manual TDI or a DSG GTI. Anyone else have the same dilemma? The TDI just felt better to me with a manual transmission.

Manual TDI is much more enjoyable to drive unless you spend the money on a Stage I tune and DSG tune. that really wakes up the DSG for the TDI and makes it fun :D

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Meh, but the manual TDI is cheaper to own for sure than a DSG TDI, it is cheaper to buy and it gets superior MPG and requires less maintenance.

trarmstrong

Thank you VR6Growl. I believe I'll test drive both. I wanted the GTI back in 2011 but for the same reason why I'm now considering the TDI (plus the optional leather), I chose the Mazda 3. However. I get an average of 25mpg with the Mazda and that is watching the RPM closely. I am most disappointed with that, but not the reliability (knock on wood).

Plus, considering the cost of tires (17 versus 18's) and general reliability factors issued by consumer reports between the GTI and TDI (TDI much higher on their scores)....and besides the advantages of the GTI in regards to performance and styling, the TDI may be the way to go.

TDI = brain decision
GTI = heart decision

Regardless of my wax-philosophic, thank you.

trarmstrong

Yeah I test drove a '14 Mazda 3 and actually walked away liking my current one better. I found the only benefit being the fuel economy. I didn't care for the proportions of the hood in relation to the car (looked off) and the giant tacked on screen that had a glaring Facebook icon. When it comes to driving i don't too much care for tech beyond simple bluetooth - heck I'd take a GTI without steering wheel controls just so I can focus on driving.

No Golf R?.... after calculating how much money I've spent on the GTI, I could have bought a Golf R and then some... get a GTI, you won't regret it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I test drove a '14 Mazda 3 and actually walked away liking my current one better. I found the only benefit being the fuel economy. I didn't care for the proportions of the hood in relation to the car (looked off) and the giant tacked on screen that had a glaring Facebook icon. When it comes to driving i don't too much care for tech beyond simple bluetooth - heck I'd take a GTI without steering wheel controls just so I can focus on driving.

That is odd... what about driving dynamics?

trarmstrong

The design is fine, I like my generation's rear end, the front end of the new Mazda 3 is good, but I find the proportions strange. Like they took the front end of a midside (Mazda 6) and slapped it on the Mazda 3. Too large.

Interior quality has improved (here and there, not entirely) and I find the display disconnected and as if they took a tablet and sat it on the dash.

Driving dynamics were fine, the electric steering was numb and not as sharp as my 2011 Mazda. The power curve is more linear but lacks the grunt and personality of the old 2.5.

I'm afraid the new 2015 GTI/Golf will have the same problem when they use the new electric steering. Not sure how I like the exterior red accents on the new 2015 grill and find the silver plastic on the dash cheap-looking.

I'm picky, i know, but when you are spending this type of money, you should be.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Golf 2.5
I get about 32mpg each way doing 70 miles of mountain Highway driving everyday.

No need for premium.. Although I have noticed a slight increase with premium(there is a long debate about this and blah blah)
And you can find em CPO for $14k... If not cheaper.
Extremely reliable. And the ride is even more comfortable than the two or gti.

Or wait for the mk7 golf. 1.8t
Will have enough passing speed and a huge aftermarket going for it
Itll be good on mileage too

Sent via my hairs.

hpowders

Ready to race!
The GTI suspension is fine. I gave up a 911 because I couldn't stomach all the jolts and bought a GTI. I thought I was driving a Lexus in comparison! Very good suspension!