GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Improper lamin-x removal

austinm2011

Ready to race!
I had black lamin-x on my headlights and after a ticket for it my dad removed the tint without heating it and it stripped the clear coat or whatever the top coat is they have on the headlights (ED's LED reps). I assume this clear coat on top is on most all headlights.
It left a pretty noticeable half of the headlight with residue and being foggy. Well, sanded them down and polished it as best as I can but there is still a foggy look to that part of the headlight.

I'm wondering if applying a clear lamin-x film on top of this might solve the issue? Open to any other suggestions as well, thanks

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Wow, that sucks that your father just ripped them off - he must have been ticked off at you with the ticket, haha.

If the clear coat got ripped off there is nothing you can really do now - polish them until clear, and maybe RE-clearcoat them? Sell them off for half price and buy new ones? I don't know.. they are reps already so further alterations won't help them look better.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Wow, that sucks that your father just ripped them off - he must have been ticked off at you with the ticket, haha.

I could imagine my Dad doing exactly the same thing back in the day. Tinting headlights is pretty lame to begin with but I'm not here to pass judgement so good luck getting it resolved.

heyyjoshh

Passed Driver's Ed
I have that same issue. Sanded and polished, but it still has the foggy look. I think its from the inside somehow.

austinm2011

Ready to race!
I loved the smoked headlight look it made the front look pretty mean IMO. Yeah I can't blame him on taking them off, he didn't know better, and was upset I did such a blatantly illegal mod, but anywho I will try to maybe re-polish them better and see how it goes =/ Thanks for the input guys

ducatiti

Ready to race!
That sucks that Lamin-X failed to do its purpose, even did worse.

I've seen some videos of sanding and spraying clear coat which worked without even buffing or polishing.

SloMoe

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a buddy's tint shop put clear film on top of my old cars hazy lights and it covered it well.. Try it out

austinm2011

Ready to race!
That sucks that Lamin-X failed to do its purpose, even did worse.

I've seen some videos of sanding and spraying clear coat which worked without even buffing or polishing.

Well it did its purpose and had the tint been heated to be removed I'm sure it would be fine. It certainly isn't on the inside but I'm ordering clear lamin-x and I'll update in a couple weeks with pictures

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
what color did you have? tint or gun smoke? I wanted to get the light colored tint ones just to make the headlights a little darker but not too much. I've never seen them in person but from some reviews I read, it sounds like the tint ones look good and are probably not noticeable to a cop at quick glance. I think it all depends where you are though. I got pulled over in the Hamptons a few weeks ago for having a smoked front license plate cover (no ticket). It's never been an issue anywhere else...

are these illegal on the tail lights as well? I heard in NY these are illegal but I don't see why you can have dark cherry tails but not have a light colored lamin-x

austinm2011

Ready to race!
what color did you have? tint or gun smoke? I wanted to get the light colored tint ones just to make the headlights a little darker but not too much. I've never seen them in person but from some reviews I read, it sounds like the tint ones look good and are probably not noticeable to a cop at quick glance. I think it all depends where you are though. I got pulled over in the Hamptons a few weeks ago for having a smoked front license plate cover (no ticket). It's never been an issue anywhere else...

are these illegal on the tail lights as well? I heard in NY these are illegal but I don't see why you can have dark cherry tails but not have a light colored lamin-x

Pretty positive I had gunsmoke, it was veery noticeable lol, but I also thought it made the front of the car and the LED headlights look meann. the lighter tint would probably look great and yeah I agree I don't think cops would give you trouble for them unless you drive like you deserve trouble. In Florida people get away with insane amounts of tint somehow, but I also have had at least 3 cops give me trouble in the past 5 years(one of which was for 5% tint on a g35, so that was understandable). Pretty sure taillight tint is illegal if you can't clearly see the red on the taillights. Something like that..but again, it's all about what cops see you, how you're driving, and how bad of a day they're having :iono: I'll post pictures of the gunsmoke headlights when I get the chance

austinm2011

Ready to race!

unfortunately these are tthe best pictures I have showing what the tint looked like. second one is edited