GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken Turbo Clamp

johnson83

Thanks Alex, I've looked into seeing where I could purchased an aftermarket clamp. Who know it'd be so tough. From what I have gathered, I would need a CHRA clamp that would be fit the K03 turbo. If you have any suggestions on where I could find this it would really help me out! :yikes:

This is the CHRA clamp and it literally holds your exhaust turbine attached to the centre housing. You don't want these two parts coming apart.

You can measure the diameter of the CHRA and see if you can find an aftermarket replacement. You might find the clamp on ebay as well or at a turbo remanufacturer.

Alternatively finding a cheap K03 may be the way to go especially if there has been any movement between the centre housing and exhaust housing causing the turbine wheel to touch the housing. From the soot, you had a good exhaust leak there and hopefully not other issues.

FriggenT1

Banned
Thanks Alex, I've looked into seeing where I could purchased an aftermarket clamp. Who know it'd be so tough. From what I have gathered, I would need a CHRA clamp that would be fit the K03 turbo. If you have any suggestions on where I could find this it would really help me out! :yikes:

Did you search k03 or ihi?

johnson83

It's something I'll be considering, but I don't have the extra funds :yikes: at this moment towards a new turbo. I will likely end up getting a used one, but I want to exhaust all my options first.

So why not take the other suggestions and find a lightly used ihi or just go k04?

GolfR2016

Just had same problem on my 2009 gti, the VW part number for the clip/clamp is 06J 145 807. I removed the lower turbo support bracket from under the car 3 bolts & the driveshaft heat shield for access 2 bolts. The part cost was about £12.

swazey

Passed Driver's Ed
bumping an old thread, I have a bad exhaust leak and after inspection noticed I have the same exact problem.

were you guys able to just replace the clamp? or were there other probs you had to address in addition to the clamp?

jadenwatt

Also need a way to find this part. I obtained a V band clamp from ECS but it is 4 inches while the stock clamp is 3.5 inches. My next step is to go to Summit Racing and buy a Vibrant 1492C which is 3.5 inches in diameter. *Edit* 8-4-19 Obtained a stock IHI MK6 turbo off of eBay for $110 shipped. Took clamp off that and used it but ended up over tightening the bolt for the clamp. I will probably just go KO4 at this point. My turbo has approximately 120k+ miles.

Last edited:

jadenwatt

*Update* I went to my local Volkswagen dealership and asked if they had the clamp and such... The parts guy there let me take the clamp off a warranty turbo for FREE. First time he gave me too short of a clamp. I went back with a used IHI KO3 turbo I bought off ebay (because I was planning to just swap out turbos) and tested it there. so TLDR: Try going to your local Volkswagen dealer and see if they are nice enough to give you a clamp from a warranty IHI KO3.