GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A true oil separator system!

lour32

Using the famous Provent 200 Oil Separator. Can be used for FSI and TSI based cars. Uses OEM Quick-Connects to connect to PCV (FSI), TSI would be different. Here is a CAD drawing & a pre-production part:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
hmmm interesting, but you're gonna have a hard time breaking the saturated market unless you offer a damn good price.

I like the idea and depending on price, I might be interested for the TSI.

allset

Go Kart Champion
someone is working on a catch can provent combo. I guess u could use the provent instead of the oem seperator. i understand it has a filter to absorb crap and doesnt need to be emptied.

How does this currently mate to the TSI?

lour32

someone is working on a catch can provent combo. I guess u could use the provent instead of the oem seperator. i understand it has a filter to absorb crap and doesnt need to be emptied.

How does this currently mate to the TSI?

Bracket you see pictured is what would be used in the TSI application as well, but it would not use the PCV valve cover plate like the FSI, but instead be used in combination with your stock setup, capping off rear outlet of you stock PCV system and running the Provent to the OEM fitting on your stock or aftermarket intake. Been contemplating whether or not to remove the TSI stock PCV and put a custom plate in its place but I am trying to keep this thing affordable and alot cheaper! The TSI setup is actually going to be cheaper than the FSI line due to less parts.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
When?
How much?
Group buy?

1badChalupa

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel stupid for asking this but what is an oil separator?

An oil separator or oil catch can takes over the function of the PCV (positive crack case ventilation) system. What happens is, while an engine is running, and combustion is taking place, some times gases blow by the piston rings and into the crank case. This needs to be vented. As an environmental concern, these especially noxious gases are routed back into into the engine to be burnt. Things like oil make there way back in as well- not great for engine performance. The separator intercepts this line and traps the oil in a can (the catch can).

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
The real benefit of an oil separator is the lack of catch can.

A traditional catch can system traps the oil that's suspended in your PCV system in a large can, forcing you to drain it and throw it away.

An air oil separator pulls the oil out of the air in your PCV system then drains it back into your crankcase. No need to ever drain it and no loss of oil.

When you are driving normally, oil begins to accumulate and circulate through the PCV system. When you nail the gas and the turbo spools up, a large amount of oil is pulled into the cylinder and burned. What we are trying to prevent is the oil being pulled into the cylinder, thus lowering the effective octane once it mixes with the fuel inside.

allset

Go Kart Champion
is this ready to go for the TSI as a complete kit? my interest is def piqued.

allset

Go Kart Champion
The real benefit of an oil separator is the lack of catch can.

A traditional catch can system traps the oil that's suspended in your PCV system in a large can, forcing you to drain it and throw it away.

An air oil separator pulls the oil out of the air in your PCV system then drains it back into your crankcase. No need to ever drain it and no loss of oil.

When you are driving normally, oil begins to accumulate and circulate through the PCV system. When you nail the gas and the turbo spools up, a large amount of oil is pulled into the cylinder and burned. What we are trying to prevent is the oil being pulled into the cylinder, thus lowering the effective octane once it mixes with the fuel inside.

what about water vapor/condensation? that goes back in too?

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
It's already in your crankcase. There is moisture in the air all around us. I am more worried about spark knock due to oil mixing in the combustion chamber w/ fuel.

1badChalupa

Passed Driver's Ed
Valid points. A catch can will remove water overtime, though yes, that's in the atmosphere. Octane dilution isn't wanted nor is knock but the thing that bugs me about PCV routing is spaying oil all over your valves and combustion chamber- basically negating the oil scraper ring's job. Not sure where PCV reintroduces blow-back on a direct injection motor, but if you've ever taken an intake manifold off and wondered "why would there be oil inside the intake manifold," this is why.