GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Longevity

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Used Honda Pilot and Chevy Spark. I'll be looking at either a Focus of Fiesta ST in a couple years depending on how they have held up. Just basic cheap motoring for now. Given my no commute lifestyle right now leasing a cheap car is a great way to bid time for something nicer. If I do go with a bigger car it will most likely be Korean, Japanese, or US domestic.

Did you get the pink one?

Sent from S4 in my S4

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Used Honda Pilot and Chevy Spark. I'll be looking at either a Focus of Fiesta ST in a couple years depending on how they have held up. Just basic cheap motoring for now. Given my no commute lifestyle right now leasing a cheap car is a great way to bid time for something nicer. If I do go with a bigger car it will most likely be Korean, Japanese, or US domestic.

You are considering a focus or fiesta st, yet I remember your posts on vortex hating manuals

McQueen77

Banned
I don't hate manuals I just don't like commuting with one which isn't a concern as long as I keep telecommuting.
)

Depends on the commute but I agree. Half of my commute is wide open highway and the rest is terrible city. Balances out I guess. Some people's commutes are pure misery in which case an automatic would be a must. I was sure I was going to get out of the GTI not long ago, was test driving and looking at other cars and lately I'm back on the keep it a while kick. No car payment and a shiny 2010 stage 1 GTI just isn't that bad of a spot to be in. So I'm sticking it out and will re-assess when the powertrain is up. Even if I had to pay to replace the intake manifold and HPFP out of warranty, its still way cheaper than getting another car. No two ways about it. Sales tax alone would almost be $3 grand on a different car. Just depends how bad you want out of the car.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I just did a valve cover gasket on my old 1.8T Passat. That engine is 15 years old and everything looks excellent up in the valvetrain. Minimal pitting on the lobes, bearings look great and besides the sludge all over the inside of the valve cover (which I cleaned to a shine haha) it all looked smooth and consistent. That car now has 250k miles on it!

My view is this: VW are more expensive to repair and maintain, but good preventative maintenance is key. I beat the hell out of that car when I owned it from 80k - 230k, too, so I doubt a good flogging is going to doom the car. Besides the valve cover gasket, that car has had a half-axle replaced, clutch disk, windshield wiper motor and LCA. All told, <$1,000 to run it for 150k miles.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I just did a valve cover gasket on my old 1.8T Passat. That engine is 15 years old and everything looks excellent up in the valvetrain. Minimal pitting on the lobes, bearings look great and besides the sludge all over the inside of the valve cover (which I cleaned to a shine haha) it all looked smooth and consistent. That car now has 250k miles on it!

My view is this: VW are more expensive to repair and maintain, but good preventative maintenance is key. I beat the hell out of that car when I owned it from 80k - 230k, too, so I doubt a good flogging is going to doom the car. Besides the valve cover gasket, that car has had a half-axle replaced, clutch disk, windshield wiper motor and LCA. All told, <$1,000 to run it for 150k miles.

:word:

Same here, everything smooth and shiny at 140k. Replaced leaky valve cover gaskets, clutch and flywheel, battery, coolant expansion tank, and a pair of headlight bulbs. No real sludge in my covers:

All original suspension, steering, control arms, bushings, etc. I think it is even on the original brake rotors and 2nd set of pads.

$2k in "unscheduled" repairs over 150k miles on a $60k car doesn't seem insane to me.

The fact that so many things are supposed to be "lifetime" on the cars is pretty funny though...

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Once a week, go for a long highway drive and run it up to full temp and for at least 30 minutes at speed. This should get the dpf and the ecu to go into regen.

FYI, it still fills up and clogs with soot. Expected DPF lifespan is 80 to 120k miles.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Actually, the only issue is the HPFP, and those are almost non issue anymore, as long as it isn't a flaw. The main issue with modding a TDI is the DPF and the rest of the Emissions. I see TDIs around here and other VW Diesels with as much as 400k miles on them.

Yeah...the HPFP's are still failing at a high rate one the Golf TDI. Other very common problems are EGR issues, Exhaust butterfly valves failing ( 3 times on mine ), failing injectors, clogging DPF's, and frozen inter coolers.

As soon as my warrantee is up the TDI is gone. The GTI on the other hand has only had one issue with almost the exact same mileage on both cars. (A/C line TSB)