GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
you dont wanna go right to 80 in one tightening as it wont pull down on the head evenly so you can do something like 30, 60, 80.
Ah I got ya...like torquing lugs down. ..

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
you dont wanna go right to 80 in one tightening as it wont pull down on the head evenly so you can do something like 30, 60, 80.

Did a head on a 6bt cummins. 60-90-120. The real key is that when your up in the high torque range is to be smooth with your pulls. You don't want to do a "snap" pull and have the torque wrench give you a false click. You can almost get another 1/4 or 1/2 turn and not have a under tightened head stud.

Did a head on a 6bt cummins. 60-90-120. The real key is that when your up in the high torque range is to be smooth with your pulls. You don't want to do a "snap" pull and have the torque wrench give you a false click. You can almost get another 1/4 or 1/2 turn and not have a under tightened head stud.
2 under tighten head studs is why my head is currently off in the first place....ugh

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
There is an order to the head studs so it is flush to the block. I have VW manual that lists the order. I will have my friend return it to me on Sunday and can post pics if needed. Just let me know.

Will big turbo meet at h2o allow small turbo k16 on TT-RS? lol

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
2 under tighten head studs is why my head is currently off in the first place....ugh

that center pic has your tightening order. should be what you're looking for.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
You get the 2nd test flight Steve. JR deaerves the first for all his help with trying to fix my GT before the 4th cylinder rod bearing ended it's life.

Steve bought my 3+ kit for those that don't know. Good guy here.

That's the pic^ I referencing in my post and yours earlier. Thanks for posting. Saved me th effort since I lent my book out and don't have it.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
You get the 2nd test flight Steve. JR deaerves the first for all his help with trying to fix my GT before the 4th cylinder rod bearing ended it's life.

Steve bought my 3+ kit for those that don't know. Good guy here.

That's the pic^ I referencing in my post and yours earlier. Thanks for posting. Saved me th effort since I lent my book out and don't have it.

If im playing second fiddle to JR... im ok with that :thumbup: he doesnt know it yet bur hes gonna help me do my meth install ;)

I had those pics thanks to Kern iirc. Def. saved those for myself lol

kern417

Go Kart Champion
hmm idk. we went around 3 times and all that but i thought we used oem specs. didn't seem to cause any problems. unless there was a recommended torque listed on the packaging then we used that.

in other news i replaced this since the line that connects to the manifold had a clip that was broken and would blow off in boost. the original on the left had a check valve assembly that all the lines connected to, but the one on the right is the updated one. it looks like they moved it to the clip itself. either way it still fit.

also noticed my wastegate is missing a bolt. idk how that happened. could that cause air to leak?

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
also noticed my wastegate is missing a bolt. idk how that happened. could that cause air to leak?

Edit: just saw the line is just laying there at the bottom. So essentially your wastegate wasn't hooked up

Yes that's your boost issue, figured it had to be something simple. Pressure in the bottom of the wastegate pushes it open at the spring pressure(or whatever you set it to with a controller. With that open it's a leak and never creates pressure so the wastegate either won't open at all or won't open until the exhaust back pressure can push it open.

Plug that and ur boost issue should be fixed and will run your spring pressure

Isn't the side port of the WG for Manual Boost controllers?

:)

The side/lower is always used. EBC will typically use the top as well to keep better control of how the wastegate opens

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i should have been more specific. i pulled the wastegate line to replace the hose. it has been installed this whole time, was just off in the picture. the hose runs to the manifold. i couldn't find any damage but replaced it anyway just to see if it would help.

the bolt i'm referring to holds the top of the wastegate on. there are 6 bolts all the way around and the one in the middle of the picture is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.