GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0491 and others, HELP A GAL OUT

missvrsix

Hi everybody

I did search both here and Vortex for answers. At this point I am at a lost.

Backstory..
A few months ago i had the code p0491, my trusty mechanic replaced the secondary air pump and said problem went away. Then i started having all these misfire issues. My mechanic tried multiple things, eventually had to take it to dealer, they claimed carbon buildup. Paid almost 900 for a carbon cleaning. Misfire problem gone.

After a week, p0491 was back. In addition that U code (u103f i think) for the radiator fan BS and this other u code i forget by VW claimed it wont impact inspection for the steering column.

I faithfully took it back to VW figuring maybe while they were poking around a hose got disconnected..idk whatever!
Then they claim they can't diagnose my car because of my mods (i only have Forge Intake and catback exhaust). I pressed the issue that it might be a hose or the Combi valve. They claim the valve is fine. After waiting 4 hours at the dealer, the find a leak in a hose.

Today i get said hose replaced and CEL is not gone. Same p0491. They insist it's my intake.

What is really going on? Is there something I'm missing. Is the radiator fan code and the p0491 related at all? Ive had this set up for a while and it seems to me that it's not related. My inspection is due in two weeks and Ive been dumping almost 2k at this point the past few months to correct the CEL before inspection.

I'm going back to my trusty mechanic next week.. I'm over dealing with the dealer. I also don't want to play the game of having to put the stock air box in everytime inspection rolls around.

Help a lady out.

Thank you in advance.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Have mechanic check the one way check valve on the pump. Also a vaccum leak can cause the error. Check all your hoses. Also check pump fuses.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

missvrsix

Have mechanic check the one way check valve on the pump. Also a vaccum leak can cause the error. Check all your hoses. Also check pump fuses.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I pushed VW to check vacuum leak and fuses and they again claimed that it's my intake. I doubt they even looked. I got fed up trying to talk to the service manager that i had my dad try to help and they service manager could care less.

I tried to switch my intake back to stock but got stuck (it's been a long time), my regular mechanic offered to help for free. I'm almost 100% certain it's not my intake. The MAF is clean too.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
U102f = radiator identification sensor (G611) - no communication, sensor could be faulty, have you had the radiator replaced at all? If an aftermarket one the sensor may not be in it! As my car is euro spec I don’t think I have that sensor as it’s not required here, The sensor is not available individually and is built into the radiator,

I believe this is important if having your car inspected in the US (SULEV) and won’t pass if the code is present. I don’t know anything about vehicle inspections in the states so it could be that this doesn’t apply for your region?!

When the dealership is talking about it being your intake they are most likely referring to the intake flaps (IMRC) or such like not the filter parts and piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

missvrsix

U102f = radiator identification sensor (G611) - no communication, sensor could be faulty, have you had the radiator replaced at all? If an aftermarket one the sensor may not be in it! As my car is euro spec I don’t think I have that sensor as it’s not required here, The sensor is not available individually and is built into the radiator,

I believe this is important if having your car inspected in the US (SULEV) and won’t pass if the code is present. I don’t know anything about vehicle inspections in the states so it could be that this doesn’t apply for your region?!

When the dealership is talking about it being your intake they are most likely referring to the intake flaps (IMRC) or such like not the filter parts and piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No replacement of the radiator ever. This is a code that only started after ive brought it to VW for the carbon clean. Maybe i'm overly suspicious You're correct it wont pass inspection though i may be able to catch it before the code posts for that to pass inspection.

Aren't intake flaps referring to the intake manifold? If so, the intake manifold was replaced in the fall per recall. They also removed the intake manifold to clean the carbon..

missvrsix

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ondary-Air-Injection-System-Insufficient-Flow

TC check out this thread, also has links to three other threads with info on SAI issues and p0491. Also can you try switching the intake back to stock to see if it affects it? Sounds like you got screwed on 900 for a carbon cleaning as well.

I read that thread.

Switching back this morning, my mechanic is helping me, i don't want to break something haha.

I'll keep you posted.