GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

will a 2.5 inch downpipe affect anything vs 3 inch?

markus037

Ready to race!
So ive decided to go stage 2 in my car. I have a chance to get an AWE catted dp for a really good deal. But from what ive read theirs is 2.5 and everyone elses is 3 inch. If i go to AWE route will the half inch difference hurt anything? Unitronic states a 3 inch downpipe is required.

avni

Ready to race!
From reading the forums over the past months

3" is not needed unless you're going BIG TURBO

k04 is not considered big turbo.

Most DPs are the same?

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
So ive decided to go stage 2 in my car. I have a chance to get an AWE catted dp for a really good deal. But from what ive read theirs is 2.5 and everyone elses is 3 inch. If i go to AWE route will the half inch difference hurt anything? Unitronic states a 3 inch downpipe is required.

As others have said you will be ok with a 2.5" downpipe on a stock or K04 turbo. Unitronic says their 3" downpipe is required because that's what they make and sell. They don't necessarily specify needing a 3" downpipe in general. They just aren't going to say a 2.5" will work when only their competitor(s) offer that size downpipe.

Disanto7389

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving an old post here, but just curious on how the awe downpipe does with k04? I already have awe Intake and catback, so I figured I might as well complete the set lol. I'm stock turbo now, but down the road would like to go k04 most likely. If not that then gt2871r. I assume k04 would be ok on this downpipe, but the gt28 would need a larger downpipe at least?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Reviving an old post here, but just curious on how the awe downpipe does with k04? I already have awe Intake and catback, so I figured I might as well complete the set lol. I'm stock turbo now, but down the road would like to go k04 most likely. If not that then gt2871r. I assume k04 would be ok on this downpipe, but the gt28 would need a larger downpipe at least?
k04 is fine with it.

Big turbo you wanna go 3" typically... that being said if you buy a turbo kit whether thats ATP or CTS big turbo kits, etc they usually come with a 3" downpipe in the kit.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I'm re-reviving this thread. Supposedly, the 2.5" downpipe will retain low end torque vs. a 3" downpipe. I'm torn between doing a AWE downpipe + Borla catback (which is 2.5") vs. a COBB turboback exhaust which is 3". I find some elegance to going all COBB intake + tb exhaust. But I don't want to sacrifice low end torque.

Or if it doesn't really matter since I'm not going anything higher than K04, the cheaper route would be the CTS 3" downpipe with cat for $475 + Borla $700 vs COBB $1545. That's $370 cheaper.

Thoughts?

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I'm re-reviving this thread. Supposedly, the 2.5" downpipe will retain low end torque vs. a 3" downpipe. I'm torn between doing a AWE downpipe + Borla catback (which is 2.5") vs. a COBB turboback exhaust which is 3". I find some elegance to going all COBB intake + tb exhaust. But I don't want to sacrifice low end torque.

Or if it doesn't really matter since I'm not going anything higher than K04, the cheaper route would be the CTS 3" downpipe with cat for $475 + Borla $700 vs COBB $1545. That's $370 cheaper.

Thoughts?

Go with whatever the tuner you’re going with requires.. for example Unitronic/ APR require a 3inch

Last edited: