GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build your own RSR clutch kit - Parts list

Stinger

Ready to race!
I'm sure guys at HS tuning are more then astonished to see this tread...LOLOL
now they've got some competition

that's what you get for trying to make 100% or more PROFIT

oh well, not much i can do about now as i've already bought mine....still LOVE it, but NOT the $$$$$ i paid for it...

Let's not debate this point on this thread... the other one on the subject is good enough and was discussed ad nausea.

I'm waiting for confirmation from a euro source but if all goes well I'm able to source the kit for $550. I will provide sources once I have my order in! :D

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Let's not debate this point on this thread... the other one on the subject is good enough and was discussed ad nausea.

I'm waiting for confirmation from a euro source but if all goes well I'm able to source the kit for $550. I will provide sources once I have my order in! :D

Agreed, but each time someone starts bashing HS Tuning for operating like a business should I'm going to stick up for them. I didn't see Southbend and Clutch Masters putting there part numbers up on here for all to see. Kudos to the OP for putting in the effort to possibly figure out the combo. I assure you, after talking to the people at HS Tuning recently, due to the accusations being thrown around on here, they are not making a killing on these.

RoidRage

Ready to race!
Realistically, I can't see why another tuning shop doesn't just source these materials and call it the RSR v2( JK on the name..).

I am also waiting for someone to provide info on where this can all be sourced from one spot to save on shipping. Very excited about this!!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Realistically, I can't see why another tuning shop doesn't just source these materials and call it the RSR v2( JK on the name..).

I am also waiting for someone to provide info on where this can all be sourced from one spot to save on shipping. Very excited about this!!

Because there's not enough profit in it and the market is already saturated. Most of the people that were in the market for a MK6 clutch have purchased one. The MK7 is out now so everyone will be focusing on that now.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
i'd still rather have a clutch built by a company who put in the R&D rather than someone doing very little out of their own garage. Still kudos to OP for doing this research.

^ This x100

If the DIY clutch fails right after installing, you're SOL

RoidRage

Ready to race!
Because there's not enough profit in it and the market is already saturated. Most of the people that were in the market for a MK6 clutch have purchased one. The MK7 is out now so everyone will be focusing on that now.

I highly doubt this. With no R&D cost to account for and only sourcing/purchasing required + packaging. Also, with what the forum is currently getting the parts for & minus volume discounts/vendor discounts etc, this is definitely profitable.

Just look at the how much attention this issue is getting. If no one wanted one this would be a irrelevant issue.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I highly doubt this. With no R&D cost to account for and only sourcing/purchasing required + packaging. Also, with what the forum is currently getting the parts for & minus volume discounts/vendor discounts etc, this is definitely profitable.

Just look at the how much attention this issue is getting. If no one wanted one this would be a irrelevant issue.

What you're forgetting is you can't start selling a product without doing R&D on it. What are you going to tell the customers when it fails?

"Well a guy on the forum said it would work so we started selling it"

BadAssBass

Ready to race!
So, the clutch disk is the same one you could get at a VW dealer for a Golf R or an Audi dealer for the A3/TT? Why are people looking for a source in Europe?

RoidRage

Ready to race!
What you're forgetting is you can't start selling a product without doing R&D on it. What are you going to tell the customers when it fails?

"Well a guy on the forum said it would work so we started selling it"

I doubt R&D has anything to do with explaining to people why a product is failing to begin with, lol.

But either way on the assumption the RSR clutch can fully be cloned to the exact spec, R&D costs are completely none existent, which is my point.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Why are ppl trying to build their own super clutch?

In my opinion everyone needs to keep in mind these are all OEM parts. same parts Clutch masters and South bend source to build their clutch kits

OEM parts are tested and proven for most part. The OEM LuK TT-RS pressure plate has torque rating and does indeed look beefier than the SACHS units being replaced in our car, lets not forget about it being self adjusting.

I think they got luck of the draw and sourced the TT-RS pressure plate.. it makes complete since once you see how many engine codes this pressure plate fits on.

But yes - question remains is the clamping power. With the larger surface area of the one sourced if it will change the torque rating. Or simply be the same and cause less wear on disc due to due surface area matching 100%

also keep in mind. When we source these from resellers or distributors -- there is still WIGGLE room in pricing... wholesale accounts you'll get these parts even cheaper. Especially when you have buying power

Time will tell

Question: Does HS Tuning even warranty their clutches if one was to fail? I dont see anything on their site regarding warranty.

Also keep in mind these TT-RS pressure plates are in AWD applications.

Stinger

Ready to race!

And you will always find people looking to do the least amount of work to get what others have worked hard to get...

HS Tuning put in lots of R&D to put together a civilized (the others aren't) clutch for daily drivers so kudos to them and thank you. I hope they've covered their costs and made a profit.

Calkulin did his research, figured out parts and sources to get the same clutch for 40% cheaper and shared it with us. Great job and thank you too.

It means I now have a choice: a packaged solution for $1K or a list of parts to source for less than $600.

And in the background I hear... Can I have it all, delivered at my door in 1 click for half the price? :cry:

Last edited: