GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gti grille on a golf

nature boy

Ready to race!
i tried searching and to my surprise, nothing came up.

has anyone ever put a gti grille on a golf? my grille broke (lightly rear ended someone because i'm a dumbass) and i couldn't for the life of me find a used golf grille to replace it, so i settled for a gti one (i don't really like the honeycomb look but a non-broken grille is better than a broken one) and i couldn't get it to fit. there looks like some weird plastic "bump" on the back of the gti grille that keeps it from lining up with what looks like the radiator support on the golf.

i'm ok with it not fitting if it isn't supposed to, i just wanted to make sure that i didn't screw up my car even more than i thought, and that the gti grille should fit but it doesn't now that i broke something else.

thanks.

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I don’t have an snswer to your specific question but being a golf owner as well the front numbers have quite a few subtle differences from the GTI so it wouldn’t shock me. I’d just snag a Golf grille off eBay.

Orient Express

Ready to race!
They are PnP interchangeable.

I went from a GTI middle grille on my GTI to the Golf grille for a different look.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i just put a golf grille on my GTI as well. They are interchangable for sure, just make sure you arent buying a JETTA grille, as those are shaped a little different far as I can tell

nature boy

Ready to race!
I know golf grilles can fit on GTIs because I've seen it done, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a GTI grille would fit on a Golf...
I should try to take pictures when I get home to show you all what I mean. There is this plastic "bump" on the backside of the GTI grille, like a wave in the structure of it, that gets in the way of getting all the clips to match up. There is a part of what I think is the rad support that blocks those corners.

I might just have to get a golf one off ebay then, as suggested.

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I know golf grilles can fit on GTIs because I've seen it done, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a GTI grille would fit on a Golf...
I should try to take pictures when I get home to show you all what I mean. There is this plastic "bump" on the backside of the GTI grille, like a wave in the structure of it, that gets in the way of getting all the clips to match up. There is a part of what I think is the rad support that blocks those corners.

I might just have to get a golf one off ebay then, as suggested.

This was my thought exactly when I saw the other replies

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
This was my thought exactly when I saw the other replies
My In-Law put a GTI on his Gold Sportline, it fits no problem. He's a Dealer lover so no doubt it was original VW part.

EDIT: ... and yes the VW Dealer installed it for him.

Last edited: