GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EONON GA5153F Review

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Hey guys, just wanted to take the time here and do a quick review of an Eonon GA5153F head unit I purchased for my mk6 GTI. I'll start out by saying that there are a couple of other brands you can chose from two of them being Joying and Pumpkin they both make head units for our cars but I after research and a lot of emails between Eonon and I, my decision was cut and clear so I went for the GA5153F and I couldn't be happier. The two major selling points on the head unit for me were customer service which Eonon did great at answering all my questions withing 24hrs I always had email confirmation and the price at $379 shipped I mean 8" touchscreen android 4.4.4 that's sold.

P.S. If you sign up for a group buy the price is then $329 shipped(I believe not 100% sure but they have a thread for it on here)

Let's move forward here guys so the specs for this headunit are as follows:
Android 4.4.4
Quad core CPU
8" touchscreen
Supports bluetooth, wifi and 3G

For what you're paying to basically put an android tablet in your car that is completely 100% plug and play I can tell you that it doesn't get much better than this head unit. The total install time it took was about 15 minutes if that I mean it's as simple as popping off your head unit trim taking 4 screws out unplugging your old head unit and plugin the new one.

P.S. They don't send the correct antenna adapter and you will need a dual fakra adapter in order for radio to work.

I purchased this one :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APS-US-SHIPPING-Car-Radio-Antenna-Adapter-For-Audi-VW-Diversity-System-Fakra-/201298815333?hash=item2ede582965

This one requires you to cut off one of the green plastic caps because you won't be able to plug both in next to each other on the OEM vw antenna wire.(found this out after I bought mine but it took maybe 1 minute the green cap is held by 2 little tabs and i just cut mine off with a razor blade and then electrical taped and I have no issues.)

This one:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_AAA_VWAUD5.html

Requires none of the above just plugs in and you're done.(found out after I purchased the ebay one)

It's really up to you what you want to do I think I would still buy the ebay one just because it's $12 bucks cheaper and it also works like a charm my radio reception is fine.

Alright so after all that just plug it all up put your trim piece back on and you're set to go. Link up a google account so you can use the play store and if you don't have one then the head unit will prompt you to make one(Can't be done unless you have wifi or a hotspot turned on.) After you got your account all ready to go you can go to the Play store and just download any and all apps you want.

I got Youtube, facebook, pandora, iheart radio, torque(the head unit supports torque but you will need a bluetooth OB2 scanner), spotify, zedge, so on and so forth. Get whatever you want. The great thing about this head unit is you don't need internet if you don't want to browse the web or use apps just download offline apps, I got this great gps app that I use offline. Eonon also sells a 3G dongle you can connect to the back of the head unit into one of the USB ports so your head unit will have 3G connectivity straight to it(through your phone carrier for example when I get mine it will be through At&t). Which is really great it cost me 10 bucks a month to add it to my wireless plan and that way I don't have to tether hotspot to my head unit.

So I've been playing with the head unit for about 1.5 weeks now and I'm still very please I have had no issues with it whatsoever and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a way better head unit than my RCD-315 ever was or will be.

On to some pictures and features of the Headunit:

This is my homescreen it's what my headunit goes to on startup: You can set any and all apps that show up there and move them around just like you would on a phone or tablet.

You will need to access factory settings withing the settings menu so you can change your logo displayed and radio band settings and other things. The passcode is 1688.

If you're having problems with the tuner button only tuning in one direction I was told by Eonon that enabling WHeel3 will fix that.(Only if your knob will only tune in one direction on radio otherwise don't touch it.)

Once in factory settings make sure one of the first things you do is change the Radio band to one of the America settings otherwise even with the adapter your radio reception will not work. Pick one of the two and mess with both to figure out the best.

After all of that you can go to Car logo and select what you want to see when your headunit powers on they literally have hundreds of choices already there and they give you the option to make a custom one or import a custom one and use that.(It can be a picture of your cat or cats. Those crazy cat people you know.)

Hit apply and then exit and it will need to reboot in order to save your changes and what not don't worry it's meant to do that.

Here are some pictures of a couple of features I use day in and day out:

GPS(offline gps works great)

Radio, for an android headunit don't expect the best radio quality and clarity because you won't get it but it's pretty damn good. All of the stations I listen to work and they work all around the city in the suburbs and everywhere else I drive. So I'm more than pleased.

Youtube video, so the quality of the video is great it's clear and there is no lag, no buffering or nothing I mean nothing it just loads like 3-4 seconds and it will play 45-1 hour long video comps without as much as a hicup.

Element, this is a really cool option you can change the color that the buttons light up when you turn your lights on to whatever you want. They have a color wheel and you can make your own color plus the 7 preset they have. It's pretty sweet.

SO with all of that I know there is tons of more things I can do with the head unit but this would be a lot longer than it already is(who reads all this crap anyways right.) I hope you enjoy it and head on over and sign up to that group buy or just buy it straight up I'm very pleased with mine so far and I'll update if I run into any problems or something else cool comes along and what not.

P.S. I don't really find this a con but the head-unit is wired and ready for a backup camera so if you don't have one when you put it into reverse the screen goes blank and says no signal don't worry its because it's trying to read a camera which you don't have. I spoke to Eonon and they said if you plan on not installing one and want that to be disabled just cut the camera wire on the connector from the head-unit and it will disable that feature but doing so means you will never want to install a backup camera. I don't find it to be an inconvenience so I don't care that it does that for the 10 seconds I'm in reverse.

Thanks for reading guys.
If you got any questions post em up and I'll do my best to help.

Pyotr

Ready to race!
How's audio quality compared to the stock head unit? I mostly play from SD card, and most reviews say that the audio quality for the radio is worse, but nothing is mentioned about the SD card playback.

6MTCSG

Banned
How's audio quality compared to the stock head unit? I mostly play from SD card, and most reviews say that the audio quality for the radio is worse, but nothing is mentioned about the SD card playback.

Want to know this as well.

sherylped

Great review. I upgraded last week from the GA5153 and it's a lot better. I thought I had a speaker problem with the old unit but after changing it sounds a whole lot better.
I loaded an SD card full of music and have been playing from that. I'm not crazy about the music app that's on it so today I downloaded BlackPlayer Music Player. I still have to go through the music app installed to get the sound to play though. If any knows a better app or how to fix that let me know.
Thanks

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
How's the DVD playback? I had one and ended up selling it because it COULDNT read DVDs. I was okay with it at first but it started to get on my nerves. Radio reception wasn't as clear as the stock headunit.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!

I like the audio quality compared to my RCD-315 honestly at first when i installed it I didn't but after driving for a week with it I play through youtube, sd card, and pandora. A lot of people don't take the time to mess with the amp settings which is where you will how you like your sound. I messed with my amp settings like 1 hour blasting all types of music untill I found my harmony.
With the original RCD-315 it had like 4 setting bass, treble, mid, fade and some other crap which is really not helpful but man with 8 bars for setting it on this headunit I really love the quality wether its on sd card, youtube or pandora. I think its improved. As far as the radio goes yea your oem unit has better radio quality because it's meant to be just a straight up radio/cd player but with the adapter like I said the stations come in clear and all the ones I like to listen to work just fine so I can't complain.(Not much of a radio guy.)

Last edited:

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Great review. I upgraded last week from the GA5153 and it's a lot better. I thought I had a speaker problem with the old unit but after changing it sounds a whole lot better.
I loaded an SD card full of music and have been playing from that. I'm not crazy about the music app that's on it so today I downloaded BlackPlayer Music Player. I still have to go through the music app installed to get the sound to play though. If any knows a better app or how to fix that let me know.
Thanks

Yea i agree their music app is pretty weak I am using blackplayer I've been looking around for a new one though but blackplayer isn't bad.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
How's the DVD playback? I had one and ended up selling it because it COULDNT read DVDs. I was okay with it at first but it started to get on my nerves. Radio reception wasn't as clear as the stock headunit.

I can't tell you exactly on how good it is because I've only tried 1 dvd it was a disney movie one and it worked just fine. But that's my only experience with it. I will try a few others see what happens.
Thank you.

4motioning

Thank f there's a fix for the tuning knob, really didn't want to have to send it back!
Haha

I'll have to fix that when I'm back home.

Also, for OEM pop out camera I've got an adaptor, I'll post a review when iI install it for those looking into that.

Pyotr

Ready to race!
I like the audio quality compared to my RCD-315 honestly at first when i installed it I didn't but after driving for a week with it I play through youtube, sd card, and pandora. A lot of people don't take the time to mess with the amp settings which is where you will how you like your sound. I messed with my amp settings like 1 hour blasting all types of music untill I found my harmony.
With the original RCD-315 it had like 4 setting bass, treble, mid, fade and some other crap which is really not helpful but man with 8 bars for setting it on this headunit I really love the quality wether its on sd card, youtube or pandora. I think its improved. As far as the radio goes yea your oem unit has better radio quality because it's meant to be just a straight up radio/cd player but with the adapter like I said the stations come in clear and all the ones I like to listen to work just fine so I can't complain.(Not much of a radio guy.)

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

One other random question: if i loaded a 3rd party music app (google music) can i control that from the steering wheel controls/see it on the MFD?

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Thank f there's a fix for the tuning knob, really didn't want to have to send it back!
Haha

I'll have to fix that when I'm back home.

Also, for OEM pop out camera I've got an adaptor, I'll post a review when iI install it for those looking into that.

Ohh awesome I want to see that working before I decide to purchase one and install. Thank you.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I can't tell you exactly on how good it is because I've only tried 1 dvd it was a disney movie one and it worked just fine. But that's my only experience with it. I will try a few others see what happens.
Thank you.

When I had mine, it wouldn't play any DVDs, just the formatted ones. They (EONON) suggested to transfer the DVDs to SD format which I think is LAME. That would have been a waste of time so I sold it to a forum member, who was fully aware of that issue.

adamhlt

That's a great review, thanks a lot!

Does "OK Google" work? I'd like to be able to make notes and calendar reminders without having to touch any buttons, while driving.

Also, it seems like the previous official Eonon threads have been closed, anyone know how we can contact a mod? They had information that would be good to see.