GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat

DubbedByVag

Anyone have tips for getting to the thermostat housing hex key bolts? I’ve been struggling with it all morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRickestRick

I know this is coming late, but I figure I can answer this for posterity sake. Not sure if this applies to CCTA engines as I have CBFA. I was able to get the hex bolt out by taking a hex key and cutting the 90 degree leg down. However, after I got the bolt out, I found that there wasn't enough room to pull the housing out. So in the end, I had to remove the water pump. If you've made it far enough to get to the hex, then removing the pump shouldn't be much more work. I was able to get it apart and back together without removing the intake manifold. The only thing I had issue with is the pulley for the belt. I couldn't get the bolt out. It's too tight for a socket, and you would really need a 6 point box end wrench to remove it. Or, the appropriate sized torx key with a short 90 degree leg.

zrickety

The Fixer
FWIW, I replaced the whole pump when I had a thermostat go bad. I priced the thermostat and plastic housing, it was almost half the cost of the pump at the time. I was able to slide the belt off and back on without adjusting it.