GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sequential/dynamic rear turn signals

JNV

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone, I need your input! I'm going to make one last design change before I place an order with the manufacturer I chose. I have been working 7 days a week for a while so I would like to take advantage of my rare day off today.

I want to go back to my original idea of having the driver implemented onto the LED strip as one single component instead of having the driver be a separate component installed inside the car near the tail light harness. Having the driver built into the LED strip reduces manufacturing costs, simplifies installation, and removes the need for a wiring harness to connect the two together. However, the driver has very large electrical parts on it that would require a hole nearly the size of a quarter to be cut in the tail light. I ditched this design a month or two ago because I thought people would be thrown off by a cut that big. Would this scare you guys off?

The only other feasible design is to incorporate the driver at the very end of the LED strip so that the driver is actually mounted outside of the tail light once installed. This would need only a small rectangular cut approximately 1/2" x 1/4" for the LED strip portion. I would need to design and manufacture an end-cap that holds the driver portion in place and fits over the entire driver side to prevent water damage. This would obviously add development time and the final cost would be a little higher but I'm willing to do it if everyone is put off by the quarter-sized hole.

All feedback is welcome! I need to keep you guys in the loop better because I've wasted a lot of time wondering what you guys would prefer instead of just asking you.

Tks ZUG :thumbsup:

I would accept any of the two potions provided that the result is good and that it is not perceived to be a retrofit.

Logically, the cheaper the system, the better for everyone and for its commercialization.

a quarter how many millimeters are?? :D

zug

Passed Driver's Ed
Tks ZUG [emoji106]

I would accept any of the two potions provided that the result is good and that it is not perceived to be a retrofit.

Logically, the cheaper the system, the better for everyone and for its commercialization.

a quarter how many millimeters are?? :D
Sorry for lack of updates! I will place my last order of test strips on Monday. For testing I'll be assembling two sets with two different LEDs. I'm hoping the cheaper LED will be plenty bright for the sake of lowering costs for you guys (approx $25 less per set). If they're not nice and bright then I'll use the brighter LED which I know can be cranked up super bright, I'm not going to sacrifice performance for cost.

Since my last update, I did make some final revisions to the design, making it cheaper and run at a cooler temperature. Although I've been busy and this project has been going on for much longer than I anticipated, I'm glad I didn't settle for that design from a month ago.

Again, I wish I could focus all of my time on this. I started a new job last week and have had car issues that are hogging up my time and money. Long story short, the spring in my HPFP for the FSI-TSI conversion kit exploded causing a bunch of damage. I'll make a quick video on that as a little PSA to you Golf R guys.

Once these final test strips come in I'll make a few videos and finally start a new thread of my own. Almost there!

Edit: I forgot to reply to your comment JNV, I've worked the strip width down to about 16mm but there's a 15mm diameter electrical component (capacitor) that will be laid flat on the back of the strip. So, at worst, the hole will need to be about 15x16 mm. I tried to get the size down as much as possible but that's the best I can do short of removing the capacitor altogether. Removing the capacitor wouldn't be very nice to the strip, possibly causing premature failure, possibly not. If a hole of that size will deter people from buying this then I'll test its reliability without the capacitor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JNV

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for lack of updates! I will place my last order of test strips on Monday. For testing I'll be assembling two sets with two different LEDs. I'm hoping the cheaper LED will be plenty bright for the sake of lowering costs for you guys (approx $25 less per set). If they're not nice and bright then I'll use the brighter LED which I know can be cranked up super bright, I'm not going to sacrifice performance for cost.

Since my last update, I did make some final revisions to the design, making it cheaper and run at a cooler temperature. Although I've been busy and this project has been going on for much longer than I anticipated, I'm glad I didn't settle for that design from a month ago.

Again, I wish I could focus all of my time on this. I started a new job last week and have had car issues that are hogging up my time and money. Long story short, the spring in my HPFP for the FSI-TSI conversion kit exploded causing a bunch of damage. I'll make a quick video on that as a little PSA to you Golf R guys.

Once these final test strips come in I'll make a few videos and finally start a new thread of my own. Almost there!

Edit: I forgot to reply to your comment JNV, I've worked the strip width down to about 16mm but there's a 15mm diameter electrical component (capacitor) that will be laid flat on the back of the strip. So, at worst, the hole will need to be about 15x16 mm. I tried to get the size down as much as possible but that's the best I can do short of removing the capacitor altogether. Removing the capacitor wouldn't be very nice to the strip, possibly causing premature failure, possibly not. If a hole of that size will deter people from buying this then I'll test its reliability without the capacitor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm sorry about your cars, I hope it can be solved soon.
About the size of the hole seems perfect.