GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFICIAL Suspension Theory and Modification Thread

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I really feel that the Neuspeed + FSD set up would work well for me as a countermeasure to the stiff ride that I share with my bilsteins. I've heard multiple people say that I need to do coilovers because they are mated up during design and are adjustable. While I do agree, I also feel there are spring shock setups that can get you close enough to bare with the ride. I dont care about taking a turn at 80mph on the off ramp. I dont care if my aft, dive, squat, heave, and bounce motions are affected. A performance shock will give me better than stock performance from the get go.

I havent slid coilovers off the table yet, they just cost too much for my to judge it as a worthwhile mod. I'd say I'm 65-75% happy with my current setup and I'm sure I'd be fine with stock, but the wheels wouldnt look right if I didnt have at least a 1inch drop on it. Thats why I need a shofter shock. I could always use the stock shock, but I've diminished the life of the shock and would have to change it out in a year. who knows....

Theres always the low and show guys and the hardcore tracking guys. Wheres the middle aged married men with childern that want some drop and minor performance upgrade? I dont need a stiffass suspension to justify my love for the car. I agree DG springs and koni yellows would work, but I dont care at all about adjusting. I'll end up setting it and leaving it there. Why not get a shock that you dont have to worry about? I KNOW there are people who share the same feeling I do.

I really feel that the Neuspeed + FSD set up would work well for me as a countermeasure to the stiff ride that I share with my bilsteins. I've heard multiple people say that I need to do coilovers because they are mated up during design and are adjustable. While I do agree, I also feel there are spring shock setups that can get you close enough to bare with the ride. I dont care about taking a turn at 80mph on the off ramp. I dont care if my aft, dive, squat, heave, and bounce motions are affected. A performance shock will give me better than stock performance from the get go.

I havent slid coilovers off the table yet, they just cost too much for my to judge it as a worthwhile mod. I'd say I'm 65-75% happy with my current setup and I'm sure I'd be fine with stock, but the wheels wouldnt look right if I didnt have at least a 1inch drop on it. Thats why I need a shofter shock. I could always use the stock shock, but I've diminished the life of the shock and would have to change it out in a year. who knows....

Theres always the low and show guys and the hardcore tracking guys. Wheres the middle aged married men with childern that want some drop and minor performance upgrade? I dont need a stiffass suspension to justify my love for the car. I agree DG springs and koni yellows would work, but I dont care at all about adjusting. I'll end up setting it and leaving it there. Why not get a shock that you dont have to worry about? I KNOW there are people who share the same feeling I do.

You never tried Eibach Pro System? Those lower the car by 1.2" and comes with Eibach Dampers. I read some good reviews in Vortex! I'm gonna give them a try.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
You never tried Eibach Pro System? Those lower the car by 1.2" and comes with Eibach Dampers. I read some good reviews in Vortex! I'm gonna give them a try.

You mustve missed my build thread. I purchased the car with Neuspeed+Bilsteins already on the car (2008.5 MKV) I'm not looking to buy a whole new kit. I've already got lowering springs.

Bender1

Banned

I am REALLY close to feeling this way (though I would probably go the DG Springs with the FSDs) BUT I am tempted by both the HR SS SP Kit and the Cup Kit...:iono:

I agree DG springs and koni yellows would work, but I dont care at all about adjusting. I'll end up setting it and leaving it there. Why not get a shock that you dont have to worry about? I KNOW there are people who share the same feeling I do

well Neuspeed sells the sport springs with the FSD and people who have that setup are pretty happy. But I also heard the FSD likes to blow up after a while when paired with lowering springs. I've seen numerous reviews online of blown shocks. Thats why they advised me to go with the yellow. I think the yellows are pretty good because you can really set them the way you like for ride and handling. start full soft and adjust them till you find a setting that you like. Yes once you find the setting you like you won't touch them , but the ability to be able to adjust them the way you like is what makes it good about them, + if you keep them a long time, you have the ability the turn up the dampening to compensate for shock wear over time that is if you keep them a long time.

I also thought of coilovers. If you look at the new ST coilovers which are the same as KW V1 coilovers minus the stainless steel housing. they are selling now for 799$ and are really comfortable drive from people who have them.
the range of adjustment on a GTI is 0.4 to 1.6 inch lower. so you can set them at a similar height like the neuspeed, but have a setup that is designed to go together. The FSD shocks alone are close to 700$. so for a bit more you get a complete setup. either way , your not losing so much as you can always sell your bilsteins or neuspeed/bilstein setup and recoup some money so the new setup ends up cheaper.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Great thread, Thats the same feeling I have, I want the minor drop, but I love the way my GTI drives as is, but would like the european level suspension stiffness. I guess I'll be watching this thread to see what direction you go. I was thinking of going driver gear springs, but what worried me was that sound people were experiencing in that thread.

Though I am wondering, how much a difference between between the suspensions on a 4door, 2door, DSG and manual are between the US models. I noticed at a local meet between 3 different MKVI configurations all on stock suspensions, my 4door 6spd sat lowest, and it was low enough that it causes me to second guess whether I do really want to lower it, since it doesnt look that bad, not like the 2door dsg where all my fingers fit in the wheel gap vs 3 on my 4 door.

I did notice a lot of that thread from vortex by teched, reminded me of a few posts or stuff I read a long time ago by Dick Shine, from Shine racing, with the suspension they offered not lowering any of the car and actually slightly raising it up a bit. I think in the case of the MK1 VW's there was only 4in of suspension travel, and dropping it really affected the suspension.

Im gonna have to read up on suspensions one of these days, and make the right choice for my car.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
bump

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
:wosschilder980::wosschilder980::wosschilder980::wosschilder980:

A_Bowers

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Stickied. We'll use this the channel what suspension questions people will have. Feel free to ask anything you'd like.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
THX !!!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to let you know I enjoy the forum more than ever !!

:D :w00t: