GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official 2016 Chicagoland Autocross (and sometimes HPDE/Track Day) Master Thread

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yeah, that part is difficult. Guys like Dave (and now KVN) help doe!

forgot to mention, that at HPDE's you can get a free instructor as well. just have to ask usually. also helps to find someone who has a similar car to yours if at all possible, just like Landballs did for us.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
word. It's mostly just drive time for me. My statement came out wrong, I did learn at autox, but how much can you really learn and retain in only 8 minutes of drive time throughout a 6 hour day?
Word. More time/repetition is always good. Just know that at an HPDE you will likely not (and shouldn't) be pushing your car to its limit, compared to autocross where you will be doing so almost constantly.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
yeah, that part is difficult. Guys like Dave (and now KVN) help doe!

forgot to mention, that at HPDE's you can get a free instructor as well. just have to ask usually. also helps to find someone who has a similar car to yours if at all possible, just like Landballs did for us.

Instructors are very helpful
Carson has a couple HPDE under his belt with his GTI, might be a good instructor candidate

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
^ yeah I am fully aware of that Kev. Autox I had the mindset of "meh what could go wrong"

on a track the mindset would be "If you fuck up you won't have your racecar anymore"

so yeah, I will be the slow guy on the track enjoying myself and learning while being very cautious and safe.
Nice. Which HPDE are you going to? I want to do an ACC one that's not too close to an autocross.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Word. More time/repetition is always good. Just know that at an HPDE you will likely not (and shouldn't) be pushing your car to its limit, compared to autocross where you will be doing so almost constantly.

indeed.. for me, I'm driving at about 7/10ths for track days, and more like 9.5/10 for autox.. and then 12/10 for karting, lol. You can see it varies by overall "risk" involved :lol:

^ yeah I am fully aware of that Kev. Autox I had the mindset of "meh what could go wrong"

on a track the mindset would be "If you fuck up you won't have your racecar anymore"

so yeah, I will be the slow guy on the track enjoying myself and learning while being very cautious and safe.

http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance

something to consider^. I've never used them, but it may help calm some people down.

Instructors are very helpful
Carson has a couple HPDE under his belt with his GTI, might be a good instructor candidate

that^

Who is Carson?

:wub:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
YES'TH ;)

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Windy City BMW Car Control Clinic and Autocross School dates posted. Sign up info not available yet but mark your calendars if you are interested.

- Saturday, April 18, Maywood Park, Maywood, IL (Car Control Clinic)
- Sunday, May 3, Maywood Park, Maywood, IL (Autocross School)

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
kev, what's the difference between a car control clinic and autox school?
CCC is less about speed and more about gradually pushing your car to the limit until you start to lose control and then figuring out how to recover from that, and how to ride that line just at the edge of losing control. You sit with an instructor for the day and there are four "obstacles". Figure 8, skidpad, emergency lane change, slalom. They hire a water truck and wet down the course throughout the day. You pick which obstacle's line you want to get in (you can do the whole day at the figure 8, or you can do one after another until time's up, etc.). Really useful as you are sort of encouraged to spin out/push it past the limit. Then at the end of the day they string all the obstacles together for a kind of basic autocross course and then you drive it a few times, and then ride with the instructors.

Autocross school is basically an autocross day except an instructor sits with you for all 8 runs, and you also get to ride with them for a bunch of laps.

Both events are not timed.

I'm volunteering at CCC to help out, and may volunteer at autocross school or sign up and use that as a "testing" event to get back into the swing of things for the season.