GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL comes back randomly after O2 spacer install

mattr7793

I have a apr stage 2 gti with a eurojet catless tbe and a rai spacer, i'm using the middle jet and it's on the rear o2 sensor. My check engine light comes on randomly when in stock mode, sometimes it'll stay off for 100 or 200 miles, other times its back within 40 or 80. I need to pass nys emissions and I was wondering if it would be possible to do so while the CEL is off. Is it possible for the car to throw codes even though there is no CEL?

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty positive that with APR stage2 tune the actual code will always be thrown but the dashboard CEL will be gone therefor you wont pass emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr7793

Someone correct me if im wrong but im pretty positive that with APR stage2 tune the actual code will always be thrown but the dashboard CEL will be gone therefor you wont pass emissions.

I believe that's how it usually works, but after doing some research the non test pipe file, which is what I have for my stock configuration is supposed to make it so that the CEL will come on unless fixed by either putting in the stock downpipe or using an O2 sensor successfully

Andrew429

Ready to race!
I have a highflow cat on mine and in stock mode I rarely get CEL's with my O2 spacer from USP-motorsports, its one of the 90 degree angle spacers, anyways, you should take your car to a shop near you where kids usually work, I go to a tire shop and there is always kids there with modified cars so they pass me even though they see the spacer, as long as your readiness monitors check out and no codes are being triggered you're fine

Last edited:

mattr7793

just installed a 42dd o2 spacer, cel stayed off for 200 miles then came on, i cleared it and it came on 70 miles later, cleared it again and waiting to see, opinions?

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Spacers will not solve your problem, you need to have your software re written to allow for the different rate of flow between the first and second O2 sensor.

atikovi

Ready to race!
You need to check if the readiness monitors are complete with a scan tool. Some states let you you pass with 1 or 2 incomplete so you want to find that out first.

titogtimkv1

I have the same problem but just put one spacer 42DD and check engine came off and never went off I believe I need a second spacer I was told got rejected so I have 60 days to resolve this MA sucks

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If you are on stage 1 or stock, CEL will likely come on. Go stage 2 or deal with it.