GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I too old? :)

blueste

Ready to race!
Hey, just curious to read different ages of the r owners out there. My wife says I'm too old to buy an r, that it's a 20 something car. At 44 :yikes: I'm sure I would bring the age average up, but for some reason I'm really drawn to this car (even though it's probably the least practical car for me to buy as I drive a shit ton of miles for work ~20-25k/yr). It must be my mid-life crisis kicking it.

The only hatchback I ever owned was a pos brown Toyota Corolla in college, even at that time was about 15 years old!! Mostly, I've had boring sedans or suv's. I did have an '02 BMW 328i which I've regretted selling for the last 2 years.

Thought it would be fun, or depressing, to learn the average age. :)

Thanks!

Blue

Last edited:

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Yes you are.

Wait, I'll be 38 next year, what am I talking about?!?!?!

You're never too old to be a car enthusiast. Unless you are no longer capable of driving without running into someone, lol! And BTW, if you haven't picked up on it already, all the car reviewers praise the GTI because it's the 'grown-up' hot hatch. Nice interior, refined, etc.

I think there's some other threads on age around here.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
My wife said the same thing when I bought my GTI. Now she loves it! I'm 45.

Last edited:

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
I had a Mazdaspeed 3 a few years ago in my early 40's and now have my GTI at 47. So you're not alone.

Sent from my SGS III using Tapatalk 2

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You're never too old for the things you love.

this^

furthermore, its not like the R has some huge spoiler on it or anything either, its pretty under the radar for the most part.

ocramida

43 here

Hey, just curious to read different ages of the r owners out there. My wife says I'm too old to buy an r, that it's a 20 something car. At 44 :yikes: I'm sure I would bring the age average up, but for some reason I'm really drawn to this car (even though it's probably the least practical car for me to buy as I drive a shit ton of miles for work ~20-25k/yr). It's probably my mid-life crisis kicking it.

The only hatchback I ever owned was a pos brown Toyota Corolla in college, even at that time was about 15 years old!! Mostly, I've had boring sedans or suv's. I did have an '02 BMW 328i which I've regretted selling for the last 2 years.

Thought it would be fun, or depressing, to learn the average age. :)

Thanks!

Blue

Just got my R last November. My last car was the first (and if I can help it) and only auto. Really wanted to get back to a stick (had a 2008 Mazdaspeed3 two cars ago). So far I'm very happy with the R despite people needling me about my mid life crisis mobile. And here I always thought a midlife crisis car was an over priced Porsche. :rolleyes:

Bottom line who the hell cares what people think. As long as you enjoy it. I just think of the millions of people driving around in Camrys and thank god I still love what I drive.

blueste

Ready to race!
I just think of the millions of people driving around in Camrys and thank god I still love what I drive.

Yeah, I first looked at the r when they first came out, test drove and loved it. Because of the miles I drive, looked at a Camry Hybrid, of all things. Then mentally settled on the new Accord Sedan V6 or perhaps the coupe V6 manual to still stay conservative/reliable but a little more fun. Now I'm like wtf am I thinking? Life is too short, roll with it and get one while they're still on the lots!

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
The general consensus of John Q Public is that a Golf, in any trim (because most don't understand trim differences), is a cheap econobox usually reserved for a younger crowd.

Public is stupid. Do what you want, and what you like. The truth is, it's a nice car, a hell of a lot nicer (and more fun to drive) than any Camry, regardless of trim. The smile on your face should shut the naysayers up!

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!

^ if you know where this quote is from then you're not too old :p

I say go for it regardless. You only live once, might as well make the most out of it. And if you're going to commute 20-25k a year, then having a fun sexy car will make that commute much more enjoyable.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!

I say go for it regardless. You only live once, might as well make the most out of it. And if you're going to commute 20-25k a year, then having a fun sexy car will make that commute much more enjoyable.

I love Old School. I went to high school with Matt Walsh.

Blue, you're not too old. There are plenty of guys here 40+
check out the "How old are you" thread.

CadMan

Ready to race!
YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!

Perfect reference, though I hope he doesn't look as old as Blue. :D

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Age doesnt matter, i seen middle age people driving gti's from time to time. Enjoy your car. I also get tired of people saying that its a young car, considering im 21 right now, i would still consider getting a mk8 or mk9 gti or an r in my 30's. what it matters is that if you like the car, lot of early 20 year olds couldnt afford an r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk