GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Forest Industries DSG shift knob review :.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
My review
Product: Black Forest Industries BFI GS2DG Shift knob -Alcantara shift boot
Price: $179 for the knob and $79 for the boot
Part number: GS2DG (heavy with air leather) Boot 5234-1k-232

I was sick of the OEM plastic Crap knob and vinyl shift boot

Includes:
One GS2 shift knob
One BFI crest logo coin
One DSG / S-Tronic / Tiptronic / Automatic shift adapter
Four set screws
Allen key for set screws

Install:
This does take a patient hand. The removal of my shift knob was not the easiest. Mine was the pull up style and it gave one hell of a fight. Once off the install of the Boot was straight forward. See pics. BFI has invented a dual barrel mechanism that replaces the button on the front of the DSG knob. Installing this will take several adjustments to find the sweet spot. It will need to slide up and back down without resistance. There are four hex screws that, once in the right location, will work perfect. As you can see in the one pic, the first couple tries the shifter would not sit flush with the collar of the DSG. Got that fixed. Once installed you just lift up to disengage the shifter and select the mode.

Driving:
I love this! You touch two things in a car while driving, the steering wheel and shifter. When you upgrade the shifter it takes the tactile driving experience to a higher level. I would never use the oem shifter to up/down shift because it felt like crap. This totally changes that, and it really is R8 quality.

http://www.blackforestindustries.com

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Nice review, I dig the boot!

It really is not the easiest install and it took me a good few trys to get the adjustment of the set screws right - too tight and it wouldn't slide at all, too loose and it can pop right off the shifter or have tons of rotational 'give'. Mine still has just a little bit or rotation from side to side :/ other thing is when you put it into drive and drop the ball it doesn't go all the way down unless you press it down with just a touch. Not a big deal just kinda lame. otherwise totally great... love mine.

20170604_184201.jpg

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Nice review, I dig the boot!

It really is not the easiest install and it took me a good few trys to get the adjustment of the set screws right - too tight and it wouldn't slide at all, too loose and it can pop right off the shifter or have tons of rotational 'give'. Mine still has just a little bit or rotation from side to side :/ other thing is when you put it into drive and drop the ball it doesn't go all the way down unless you press it down with just a touch. Not a big deal just kinda lame. otherwise totally great... love mine.

View attachment 56248

Mine has this same little bit of rotation too. Oh well, still looks and functions good.

2016-10-13_10-48-44

Avenger8692

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve really been wanting to get one of these but did not know the first thing about getting the factory shifter off so I held off for a little bit lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
So did you just add the manual shift boot? And did you leave the indicator unplugged? Did it throw any codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Purchased a separate manual trans base and boot and just swapped over the DSG shift knob (this was before I purchased the BFI knob). And yes, the indicator is just wire tied and tucked away. No codes.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I've had my eye on this exact shift knob for a few months now. Nice write up. Hoping maybe there's a black Friday sale or something in the coming weeks...

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
It is all in the fine adjustments. I was about to hold the bottom and tighten the knob to get it spot on. The oem rattling plastic crap was driving me crazy. So this is a huge step up.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
So, 260.00 for knob and boot and it doesn't fit perfectly? That seems like total BS to me.

Well, $260 is just for the knob, no boot.

I still think it fits great and looks/functions well too.

As mentioned above its all about the adjustments. If you over-tighten the 4 set screws then the knob doesn't move up and down properly (won't disengage from park) or drop back down once released. Too loose and the knob pulls off. So they need to be just right.

I think some of the rotation that I'm referring to comes from the plastic shaft that the shift knob connects to. The part that links the knob to the transmission gear release. Its not a big deal at all, but its there.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
You can buy the shift knob on their site for less than $260.