GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW's Latest R Ad - You can't fake fast....

08CW R32

Ready to race!
mmmmm....wonder who they are referring to with the reference to "purple spoilers, flame graphics, and faux air scoops" :)

When I look in my rear view mirror, sorry but I am looking to make sure officer friendly is not behind me not all those "imitators, wannabes, and pretenders".

Not so impressed with this marketing effort. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMAGE0023.jpg
    IMAGE0023.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 4,172

Gyntry

Ready to race!
Meh. :rolleyes:

DriverFound1

Ready to race!
So you may or may not like the actual ad...however it does tell me one thing. VW is very in touch with their buyers/fanatics. They are very aware that VW folks have a general "dislike" for RICERS and to narrow it down even more Riced out Hondas. The ad may not be to your liking but it does tell us that VW stays up with its intended audience! :)

XZT123

Ready to race!
Even Honda owners hate ricers. I dunno the car behind it looks like a Subaru lol. I don't know if I agree with the 6-speed comment.. I mean come on.. they offer it with DSG elsewhere and before I think... i think not having the DSG option on the R was more of a cost saving measure.

A_Bowers

I think VW went through a lot to of trouble to make the pink car as ambiguous as possible but still let other gear heads know what cars they are targeting.

As far as advertising goes its pretty clever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

08CW R32

Ready to race!
True..True

I agree

So you may or may not like the actual ad...however it does tell me one thing. VW is very in touch with their buyers/fanatics. They are very aware that VW folks have a general "dislike" for RICERS and to narrow it down even more Riced out Hondas. The ad may not be to your liking but it does tell us that VW stays up with its intended audience! :)

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
I think as far as advertising goes, it definitely targets the intended audience. It shows that VW is aware of the potential buyers and who is interested in the R.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I think as far as advertising goes, it definitely targets the intended audience. It shows that VW is aware of the potential buyers and who is interested in the R.

And targets the cars people would consider to buy,here comes the pink Subbie.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I like it! I do think they need to revise the fast claim... It's really not THAT fast until a tune. Stock for stock that car behind it is faster (if it really is the sti).

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yep, it does look like an (exaggerated) STI hatch, in which case you'd be better off in the "fake fast" car at that stoplight.

chris101

Ready to race!
. I mean come on.. they offer it with DSG elsewhere and before I think... i think not having the DSG option on the R was more of a cost saving measure.

I am pretty sure they were aiming the R at the over 35 year olds who enjoy driving stick shift cars (prefer it over DSG or other autotragic cars). And I'd say they nailed it perfectly!

I, like many others, refused to even consider the 2008 R32 since it was not available in a Manual transmission and I believe sales were not as good compared to the 2004 R32 because of it IIRC. (someone might have the actual statistics but I remember seeing them sit around dealerships a lot longer than the 2004 r32 much sooner!)

Bottom line is I could care less that the DSG wasn't an option for this R because I wouldnt' have considered it anyway!

Clown Fish

Passed Driver's Ed
The ad, in my opinion, also appeals to the older enthusiasts that would be embarassed to drive in "the other" car portrayed.