GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where to roll fenders in Central Ohio? (or anywhere in Ohio for that matter)

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Where to roll fenders in Central Ohio? (or anywhere in Ohio for that matter)

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing rubbing with my 2010 GTI with an OZ wheel setup riding on Nuespeed springs w/FSD shocks.

It is worst on the front, which visually shows some potential to roll the fenders.

The rear looks like it may not have the same potential.

In any case, I'm having much trouble locating a shop that can properly roll fenders (using the proper tools and methods as shown in the following YouTube video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiTfYyaI1A

Does anyone know of a bodyshop or otherwise that can properly roll the GTI fenders?

TIA

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Check out 'True Performance' -- they're the shop I took my GTI to for insurance work. They've generally got a lot full of high-end cars. There was a Bentley and an Aston there when I went.

I don't know when/if/how they go about custom work, but they do good work.

http://www.trueperformance.com/

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Cool, thanks!

I've heard of them.

I'll check it out.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
What size tires are you running? I'm bummed to hear that you're rubbing already, the car's not even slammed =-\

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
What size tires are you running? I'm bummed to hear that you're rubbing already, the car's not even slammed =-\

You and I both (bummed).

I'm running factory-sized 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.

I'm lowered a little less than 1.25" in the front and rear.

The wheels are the O.Z. Ultraleggeras which are 18x8 ET45.

After doing my research and selecting a wheel/tire combo that I thought was less aggressive than some who already reported no rubbing, I figured I would be "rub free."

The rears do rub on a very rare occasion when aggressively cornering, but the front rub even entering driveways with the steering wheel turned, encountering a bump/lip.

I don't plan to do anything about the rear fenders since there really is not much to roll.

I left a message for Randy at True Performance this morning to call me back. I'll post here what happens in case someone else is interested.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Talked to Randy Hedges (Shop Manager), easy-going pleasant guy.

It was confidence building to hear Randy know exactly what I was talking about and that they have the exact (hub bolted) rolling tool for the job. He mentioned how they did a recent fender roll job for a Pontiac G8.

It sounds like I'm in the right hands.

Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks for the suggestion XCybe.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I'm 18x8.5 +30ET.. I suppose that means I'll be in the same boat. I hope they take care of you! Check out the Indy car in the lobby while you're there. The receptionist is very nice.

* Accept the soda she offers, or she'll just keep at it all day :)

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah I'm kind of shocked too that after putting on my Pro-Kit springs yesterday as to how low it sits

I was thinking of getting 45 offset wheels, but now it seems out of the question for fear of rubbing

Might just stick to the Detroits or possibly find another set of OEM wheels with high offset too

As for your car....the rear fenders....you'll be fine because they have so much negative camber when lowering the rear. It's the front that is the problem

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE:
I messed around with some painters tape and located the exact spots where rubbing was occuring.
As it turned out, I removed the top fastener on each of the front wheel well liners (there are 4 or 5 total so removing 1 didn't seem to make any difference).

This fix took care of most of the rubbing up front - a very small amount still appeared on the tape after removing the top fastener and doing a test drive. The spot where rubbing did occur did not seem to me that rolling the fender would have helped.

The rear on my short test drive stints (that included heavy suspension loading around a round-a-bout) did not indicate any rubbing out back. I suppose I would need to carry rear passengers to check this closer.

I called and talked to Randy at True Performance and the short version of the conversation is, for now, I'm going to stay put and not roll the fenders.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Keep an eye on it - before I took that tab screw out on the Fahrenheit, this happened:

After the suspension settled some more, I ripped up my fenders. :(

Try to bend the tab and liner backward as far asya can.