GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

After 50K, if I were to re-do mods again...

randy915

Ready to race!
I just hit 50,000 miles yesterday and it got me thinking — if I could go back in time and redo all my mods, which one would I do first?

1. Tires - get whatever max summer tires you can afford but man oh man the Michelin Pilot SuperSports are godly.

2. XDS setting 2 - this blew me away and I can't imagine going back to stock. It really helps the car rotate in and it's a simple 2 minute mod if you have VCDS.

3. APR stage 1 with APR/Carbonio intake - APR AU already proved that the intake is the best on the market netting +17HP and the carbon fiber helps with shielding heat from the engine bay.

4. front and rear sway bars - faster turn-in, increased agility, more predictable understeer, heavier steering. I cannot stress this enough - GET BOTH BARS. For reference I have H&R 24mm front (medium), 26mm rear (stiffest).

5. Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit - makes the car track much more straighter and keeps the wheel pinned to the pavement for better traction in all but extreme launch situations.

4. Unibrace XB - stiffer chassis makes for better chassis.

5. Unibrace UB - increases stability in braking by creating less dive (and lift during accel.)

6. APR stage 2 with downpipe and cat-back - at this point more power can be more fully appreciated.

I wish I can put a mechanical LSD on this list and it may deserve the #1 spot, but I haven't had the fortune of driving a GTI with it and spending $2500 at this stage on the car is not as practical as before.

Also, I feel certain mods may not offer the benefits they claim. Changes in a car's feel/behavior may not necessarily equate to positive changes. Things like mounts and bushings just make the car rattle (especially with the A/C on) and uncomfortable. Try those polyurethane products at your own discretion.

ottawaP5

Ready to race!
Thanks for this, it's really helpful for someone that is starting out.

I'm thinking of swapping the all seasons for summers next year...the all seasons are really holding this car back in the handling department!

GTmyI

Ready to race!
Thanks for this, it's really helpful for someone that is starting out.

I'm thinking of swapping the all seasons for summers next year...the all seasons are really holding this car back in the handling department!

Yea same here!! Want to burn them through as fast as I can!! :word:

kurupt_hawaiian

Ready to race!
I always thought of changing the XDS setting but never thought it would make much of a difference...

infanterene

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with the XDS, made a huge difference. I also changed the brake setting and like it too.

Did you change springs? Can you elaborate a little more in the whiteline kit?

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I always thought of changing the XDS setting but never thought it would make much of a difference...

On stock suspension and driving aggressively you can feel the car actively working to keep you out of trouble, like someone is slowing down your rear wheels to keep you in line.

However, once you get sways, shocks, and springs the XDS just gets in the way of taking the car to the limit.

I went back to XDS default after I upgraded the suspension, now I can blast up and down on and off ramps at ridiculous speeds. :D

FNR32

Ready to race!
Intersting. This is almost exactly what I had planned for my car.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
I just hit 50,000 miles yesterday and it got me thinking — if I could go back in time and redo all my mods, which one would I do first?

1. Tires - get whatever max summer tires you can afford but man oh man the Michelin Pilot SuperSports are godly. (YES, the no.1 thing to do)

2. XDS setting 2 - this blew me away and I can't imagine going back to stock. It really helps the car rotate in and it's a simple 2 minute mod if you have VCDS. (This is personal choice here, I prefer to fully remove the ESP/XDS by removing the steering wheel sensor)

3. APR stage 1 with APR/Carbonio intake - APR AU already proved that the intake is the best on the market netting +17HP and the carbon fiber helps with shielding heat from the engine bay. (This is pretty much the basic, other brands could works)

4. front and rear sway bars - faster turn-in, increased agility, more predictable understeer, heavier steering. I cannot stress this enough - GET BOTH BARS. For reference I have H&R 24mm front (medium), 26mm rear (stiffest). (I had the H&R 24mm rear swaybar, never felt the need for a front)

5. Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit - makes the car track much more straighter and keeps the wheel pinned to the pavement for better traction in all but extreme launch situations. (YES, get it)

4. Unibrace XB - stiffer chassis makes for better chassis. (YES, get it)

5. Unibrace UB - increases stability in braking by creating less dive (and lift during accel.) (YES, get it)

6. APR stage 2 with downpipe and cat-back - at this point more power can be more fully appreciated. (I would recommend it over a stage1, it deliver better powerband.)

I wish I can put a mechanical LSD on this list and it may deserve the #1 spot, but I haven't had the fortune of driving a GTI with it and spending $2500 at this stage on the car is not as practical as before.

(I wish too, if u do, you should desactive XDS and cut ESP.)

Also, I feel certain mods may not offer the benefits they claim. Changes in a car's feel/behavior may not necessarily equate to positive changes. Things like mounts and bushings just make the car rattle (especially with the A/C on) and uncomfortable. Try those polyurethane products at your own discretion.
(im agreeing with it, Torque mounts arent for everyone, it is the mod that make the car feel more sporty the most, but reduce creature confort too.)

An overall very good start!

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
I don't mean to knock everything you have said here as I'm sure some will find it useful. However, a Wavetrec LSD is a $1000, with the numbers you have put out, that would leave $1500 for labor. I've had a chance to see one installed & it's not that much more difficult than doing a clutch. Also, there have been many dyno charts with & without a Intake, most showing no real gains. 17 HP is seriously overstated.

randy915

Ready to race!
On stock suspension and driving aggressively you can feel the car actively working to keep you out of trouble, like someone is slowing down your rear wheels to keep you in line.

However, once you get sways, shocks, and springs the XDS just gets in the way of taking the car to the limit.

I went back to XDS default after I upgraded the suspension, now I can blast up and down on and off ramps at ridiculous speeds. :D

I got my XDS altered after driving ~20K on ST coilover, sway bars, and WALK; IMO it made the car better than before. Took the car to the mountains of HWY 84/9/35 in Northern California for several high speed runs with an E92 before and after the mod to test the effects and I have to say XDS=2 felt better than stock. The front was more eager to turn which allowed me to put on the power earlier in mid-corner, increasing exit speed.

randy915

Ready to race!
I don't mean to knock everything you have said here as I'm sure some will find it useful. However, a Wavetrec LSD is a $1000, with the numbers you have put out, that would leave $1500 for labor. I've had a chance to see one installed & it's not that much more difficult than doing a clutch. Also, there have been many dyno charts with & without a Intake, most showing no real gains. 17 HP is seriously overstated.

My car's a DSG which is a more difficult job to install due to drilling. The lowest price I found the Quaife was about $1200 which does not include shipping and tax. Assuming $100/hr and an 8-10hr job... you get the idea.

Regarding the intake HP, I have to just trust some of the dyno charts because I'm not going to spend the money to compare and dyno all the popular MK6 intakes on the market. But I stand strongly by my belief that APR makes the best intake for our cars.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I have the whiteline anti lift kit and can't really say it's a worth while mod. It may just be the fact that i'm k04 and it's not really going to matter waht I do from a tire/suspension mod because of the torque. I installed the k04 first, drove around for about 5k miles and then had the WALK put in, and really didn't notice a difference. the k04 may just be above the limits to make a difference and with stage 1 or stage 2 as you are reviewing, it may be worth it. But for k04 guys or if you plan on going k04, It's an expensive mod for little return, imho

randy915

Ready to race!
I have the whiteline anti lift kit and can't really say it's a worth while mod. It may just be the fact that i'm k04 and it's not really going to matter waht I do from a tire/suspension mod because of the torque. I installed the k04 first, drove around for about 5k miles and then had the WALK put in, and really didn't notice a difference. the k04 may just be above the limits to make a difference and with stage 1 or stage 2 as you are reviewing, it may be worth it. But for k04 guys or if you plan on going k04, It's an expensive mod for little return, imho

Even with the WALK, starting with stage 2 is where your traction will break under hard launch or wet condition. In wet conditions I can easily generate wheelspin while in 2nd gear; I can only imagine how much more often that happens with K04/stage3.

What I noticed with the WALK is the steering feels much heavier and weightier. My friend owns a 2012 X3 and she said my car feels very "big" and reassuring because it tracks so straight and corners much more confidently because the tires are more planted and the contact patch isn't shifting as much during steering changes. Big car stability with small car nimbleness.

Great insight! Wish I had this when my car was stock.
I am also wondering about the WALK. But i am planning to go K04...