GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: a racecar
APR STGII V2.4 vs. V2.1 Review/ Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlody91 View Post
Just an SPM turboback exhaust, Unitronic Intake, APR intercooler & GFB DV+ valve (a bit of a Frankenstein project). I have the fluidampr pulley as well but I'm hoping to have that installed when I have my timing chain/tensioner service done in the spring.

I live in the Metro-Detroit area so definitely not hot this time of year

I just did the carbon cleaning service myself two days ago and off the line starts have definitely improved since then. Still have to go past 3k RPM to keep up with traffic but it seems to be not as sluggish as before.

As of now though it's only a slight nuisance as highway driving is just superb and the rough cold starts have been eliminated. I can live with the lower gear sluggishness thanks to all the other perks you've mentioned in this thread. Danke schön APR

TLDR; Still sluggish off the line but everything else about the new update makes up for it.

If you have a rev D diverter valve, try swapping it in place of the GFB DV+. Those seem to be kind of hit or miss.

Otherwise I'd check for boost leaks and clutch slip.

How up to date are you on maintenance? Plugs? Coil packs? Is your air filter recently cleaned (i noticed a big difference in low end torque after cleaning mine)? PCV?

This tune asks a lot from a stock turbo setup, so if any basic maintenance isn't up to date, it will show. Try reseting your fuel trims and go from there, and maybe try swapping in an OEM rev D if you're still having issues

As for checking boost leaks, there are a ton of ways to do it, but I've personally never done any of them, so someone who is more experienced with pressure testing this platform would be of more help to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123,
You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?
TSI_mr.niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
Revolver66
FIA GT Champion

Drives: UG Mk6 GTI & NB Mk7 GTI
Can anyone comment on v2.3 vs. v2.4?
Now: Mk6 GTI- United Grey/Interlagos Plaid, DSG, 2 door (APR Stage 1+ 93 octane B2.3, APR Carbonio intake, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Centric C-TEK slotted/drilled rotors, Hawk HPS brake pads, Tyrol brass caliper bushings, Double Apex carbon fiber shift paddles).
Mk7 GTI- Night Blue/Clark Plaid, DSG, Lighting Package, APR Stg1 LO Next: (undecided) Porshe 997.2 Carrera 4 S or GTS
Revolver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
It really is a goddamn amazing file now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlody91 View Post
I'm still experiencing some "delay" in power in the lower gears and really have to go past 3k RPM just to keep up with traffic after a full stop. It's better than before but it's still there, at least in my case. But it could be due to my clutch being stock and @ 90k
if you're not exaggerating a bit then theres a problem, if you are then thats to be expected. thats when the turbo starts working
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, CTS Chargepipe & TOP, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Have some decent time on this file now - still no issues except my slipping clutch

Quote:
You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #19
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_mr.niceguy View Post
Have some decent time on this file now - still no issues except my slipping clutch

Same here, my new clutch is arriving Monday
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #20
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Crazy thing for me. I got the 2.0 back in May but my dealer didn't ask me about High Torque/Low Torque file and I completely forgot to mention it. I called a week later to confirm if they gave me the high torque file and he quickly stated yeah, I gave you High Torque (I felt he just told me quickly to get off the phone). Never felt a slight bit of slippage or weirdness on my clutch.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago that I got the 2.4 reflash at the same dealer, except this time he asked me. He made me aware that the high torque would fry my clutch, I said, yeah I'm cool with that.

I swear, as soon as I left the dealer with the new flash, I felt my clutch wasn't feeling right. 2 weeks later, things such as harder to get into gear, or I felt like i was taking off in 3rd gear by mistake but it turned out to be 1st, yep, stuff like that going on. I honestly think they truly flashed me with High Torque now and I'm experiencing the issues of a down hill clutch. I just hope it can last until Spring when I get my summer tires
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #21
Chatchie
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 CC 2.0 LUX
Got flashed to 2.4 from 2.2b this morning. Car feels more responsive all the way around. Boost is back in 5/6 and shifts are faster. Idle was rough for a while but it's smooth now.

But, is anyone else getting vibration under load? I feel it as boost builds in 2nd and 3rd so far. Definitely coming from the motor and definitely wasn't there on the way in to the shop. Roads were empty this morning and I was flogging it.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 AM   #22
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

No vibration that I noticed. What does it feel like exactly? What RPM range is it happening in? What mods and maps are you running?

I will say that I still get a bit of surging around 3k... It improved from 2.1 but is still there.

Quote:
Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #23
Chatchie
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 CC 2.0 LUX
I'm on stage 2 93 hi output. It starts at around 3k and feels like something is off balance. I'm also still getting some surging but only have about 50 miles on it.

Power mods are only intake, downpipe and plugs.

I'm gonna put some more Mike's on it before I do anything
Old 01-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #24
Revolver66
FIA GT Champion

Drives: UG Mk6 GTI & NB Mk7 GTI
APR STGII V2.4 vs. V2.1 Review/ Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
Crazy thing for me. I got the 2.0 back in May but my dealer didn't ask me about High Torque/Low Torque file and I completely forgot to mention it. I called a week later to confirm if they gave me the high torque file and he quickly stated yeah, I gave you High Torque (I felt he just told me quickly to get off the phone). Never felt a slight bit of slippage or weirdness on my clutch.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago that I got the 2.4 reflash at the same dealer, except this time he asked me. He made me aware that the high torque would fry my clutch, I said, yeah I'm cool with that.

I swear, as soon as I left the dealer with the new flash, I felt my clutch wasn't feeling right. 2 weeks later, things such as harder to get into gear, or I felt like i was taking off in 3rd gear by mistake but it turned out to be 1st, yep, stuff like that going on. I honestly think they truly flashed me with High Torque now and I'm experiencing the issues of a down hill clutch. I just hope it can last until Spring when I get my summer tires

Get the tune switching added. Then you can turn it off.
Now: Mk6 GTI- United Grey/Interlagos Plaid, DSG, 2 door (APR Stage 1+ 93 octane B2.3, APR Carbonio intake, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Centric C-TEK slotted/drilled rotors, Hawk HPS brake pads, Tyrol brass caliper bushings, Double Apex carbon fiber shift paddles).
Mk7 GTI- Night Blue/Clark Plaid, DSG, Lighting Package, APR Stg1 LO Next: (undecided) Porshe 997.2 Carrera 4 S or GTS
Revolver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #25
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
got the 2.4 file on Sat.

As others have noted great torque in 1-3 gears...4th kinda slow then power is back in 5th 6th. cold starts are good.

No other mods except APR and Audi red tops.

What I've been noticing is what I can only describe as a fuel cut or ignition being cut if I try wot. I'm @ 192Km, had the intake replace few weeks ago and de-carbon at the same time. I know i'm due to swap in a new set of plugs so will do that this weekend.

anyone else have similar issues?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 AM   #26
B6JoeS4
Autocross Champion

Drives: 12 CSG DSG 4D GTI
I got 2.4 done a week ago. D mode is a little strange if you are trying to accelerate briskly because the boost builds up to 5-10psi at a really low RPM. Causes a lot of vibration and less-than-graceful shifts.

Cobb TBE, AWE intake, red tops and 7ix plugs.
B6JoeS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #27
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

File still feels awesome, no issues! Now they just need an option for overrun in addition to stuff like NLS and LL...
Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #28
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mk6 gti
Having no issues with 2.4 I feel like D mode is really clean up compared to 2.1. The down shifts are smooth as hell now and like every one else said the power in higher gears is there. My only gripe is that 1st gear is still jerky which makes me ease into the throttle off the line to prevent the jerk.