GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 MK7 vs Stage 2 MK6

Gti207

Ready to race!
Now before we get all excited this is more of an inquiry. I still can't believe these two haven't been lined up. I know the mk7 is a monster, but in stage 1 form its numbers are peaky compared to a stage 2 mk6. I am surprised these two haven't been lined up yet to be honest. Has anyone had any encounters/videos they would like to share?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
mk7 GTI is not faster than stage 1, that's for sure. It does feel like my apr stage 1 mk6 with carrying 400ibs of stuff.

heres the stock mk7 vs stage 2 mk6 to get an idea

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Is this the video again of the MK6 running some tune that we all agreed isn't very strong? I don't quite believe that a stock MK7 GTi would stick with a properly running stage 2 MK6 GTi like that. The ACTUAL dyno figures for stage 1 and stage 2 MK7 GTi's are coming out now and from what I can see, a stage 1 MK7 makes the same power as a stage 2 MK6 - which is impressive, but nowhere near the Ferrari rivalling performance that it was hyped up to be.

Also from what I've seen, a K04 MK6 GTi would definitely pull on a stage 2 MK7 GTi - which makes 100% sense, but goes against the hype that the tuners *cough*APR*cough* would have let us believe.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
That MK6 is ABT tune (super soft) lol

Is this the video again of the MK6 running some tune that we all agreed isn't very strong? I don't quite believe that a stock MK7 GTi would stick with a properly running stage 2 MK6 GTi like that. The ACTUAL dyno figures for stage 1 and stage 2 MK7 GTi's are coming out now and from what I can see, a stage 1 MK7 makes the same power as a stage 2 MK6 - which is impressive, but nowhere near the Ferrari rivalling performance that it was hyped up to be.

Also from what I've seen, a K04 MK6 GTi would definitely pull on a stage 2 MK7 GTi - which makes 100% sense, but goes against the hype that the tuners *cough*APR*cough* would have let us believe.

How do you know this? I mean I do agree, but havent tried yet ;)

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I'm only basing my assumption on dyno figures that have literally come out this week from our tuners here locally running stage 1 and 2 maps on MK7 GTis and R's. I won't disclose the brand of tune because it's irrelevant, but from what I'm seeing a Stage 2 MK7 GTi should see 200 - 210 kW at the wheels (assuming its turbo doesn't explode) whilst even a mild MK6 K04 GTi makes 220kW at the wheels here.

I remember when the tunes for the MK7 platform were being hyped and stories were running far and wide about stage 1 MK7 GTis that will push well over 200kW at the wheels with software alone, and to put it simply, that's just not the case at all. Not even close.

Gti207

Ready to race!
This is exactly why I started this thread. There is a ton of speculation but I have yet to see an actual race between a stage 1 mk7 and stage 2 mk6. There has to be something like this floating around, hopefully someone posts here.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
To be fair, most MK7s over here are afraid to race anything because their turbo might go "bye bye" I don't know about you guys, but the turbo failures around here on my MK7 are rife. GTi's and R's.

Spartan180

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a g7 with giac file and a downpipe. Ive run with a few mates in their G6s. From the runs ive had:

G7 s1 vs g6 s1. G7 wins every time

G7 s1 vs g6 s2: quite even alot of the time. Off the line i get ahead quicker and stay abt a car in front. On a roll its evens most of the way with the g7 slightly ahead. That being said it depends on the tune and if they have wmi in which case the g6 pulls away slowly up top

Ive raced k04 g6's and the g7 is in front lower down but as u go thru the gears the k04 just catches pretty easily and passes.

Im sure i have sum videos on my gopro will check around.

My previous car was a g6 gti stage 2 with water meth. Also had a giac race file which i sometimes used. I dont think the g7 will ever be as fun as that setup. Although the G7 is cool too. Stage 2 soon so lets see

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
I could possibly get a vid of me an a buddy in his mk7 but his is supposed to be uni stage 2

Gti207

Ready to race!
Nice info Spartan 180! That would be an interesting watch mk6'12 even though the stage 2 mk7 will probably win.

Spartan180

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Spartan180 you didn't sell your car in Miami did you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey bro. No im not in the US im in South Africa.

We have weak fuel here, 93. So i use an octane booster. To give you guys abitv comparison, Car is around 212wkw and 450nm on the wheels with some octane in the tank

Had fun with 7rs last nyt. Rolling we go and a stock 7r cant catch up. 60 till abt 180kmh. A stage1 7r on a roll i still get ahead but he comes and passes me with little effort. Of the line i get damaged by the 7r of course

Next us intake and stage 2 file which giac now has. And abit later some wmi so i can use a higher octane file. Maybe a cooler. I dont think its possible to get lower than 12.6 on the 400 with a basic stage 2 setup on the g7. Time will tell ye

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Whose dyno was that done on dude?

Too many questions:

Why does the GIAC tune make 212kW at the wheels (apparently) when Unitronic's stage 1 file doesn't even come close to this? And people wonder why their turbos are popping left and right.

What tunes were the other car's running? Do you know?

Note. We have 91 Octane fuel in South Africa. Not 93.

I think what MOST of us would like to see is a video of a MK6 GTi Stage 2 vs. a MK7 GTi Stage 1 with both cars running pump fuel on decent tunes.

What we are getting at the moment is one of two things:

1. Guys in modified G7s showing videos of runs against G6s that are either broken or have pathetically weak tunes on them to the point where they could have been considered stock.
2. Guys in modified G7s with a MOERSE amount of octane booster running experimental maps designed to blow turbos against G6s running normal 91 or 93 octane maps.

It seems that there is no proper video evidence of a fair fight between the G6 and the G7. I'd personally LOVE to see a video of a proper K04 G6 running against a stage 1 MK7. I doubt that MK7 owners would like that though.

Last edited:

Spartan180

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey man

That was on the stealth durban dyno. So it is wkw. It was at the last dyno day.
Diff dynos diff days diff conditions...u know how it goes. So i dont compare cars based on that. If u know the guys there at stealth dbn they know my car and my mods so you can chat to them no issues :)

In terms of my races. They are all mates so i know the cars really well. Some are local tunes and theres 1 international brand too (dnt wana get in a tuner flaming discussion lol. I dont "race" really. Just fun with friends so dont do call outs n prepping n so on

K04 6- like i said. Although in front low down he catches and passes so easily, always. It makes sense to me tho coz of traction lower down

Stage1 Vs stage 2 6. Mostly local tunes. and 1 international brand. 6s with meth run ahead especially on the top. Again. Its all dependent on the car and setup. Some have milder files some have stronger but i found the 6 stage 2 with meth goes away on the top

Reg broken turbos. I dnt think its always tune related. Some of the cars have popped turbos with a few kms of tune or even stock so i hear. There are a few revisions on it. For me i havent had any issues. My mods r just the file and the downpipe. There is a stage 2 file n race file too from giac but i have not gone that route yet. Im cautious and also content for now. Will get bored n do it soon tho

Overall. Happy with the 7. But miss my 6 with the setup it had at the end. My 7 wont get to that level of fun and just was so balanced when fully blown

Hope this helps

mamock116

Ready to race!
How would a MK6 with TOP and gutted first cat fair against a stock MK7? Both are stick shifts. My buddy just bought a mk7 and I was going to see if he wants to run them.