GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car for the kid

ce4

Ready to race!
So my kid has turned 16 and is begging for a car. Got her a job finally.

Found the following vehicle local to us:

2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
3VWSC29M3YM181716
Auto, FWD, 2.0 4 cyl (non turbo i'm guessing)
101,963 miles
3 Owner, clean title, clean carfax
Asking $1,900

Anything I need to be concerned about, looking for when I go to check it out?

We are relatively new to the VAG Fam (I have a 13 gti and fiance has 16 tiguan) so this car is kinda sparking our interest to keep the VW family growing.

Thank you!

ce4

Ready to race!
So just got back from doing a once over on the car. Aside from some basic cosmetic blems on the outside, and some broken trim pieces on the inside...

The good:
-It starts
-Has Blue Coolant, but.... get to that in a sec
-no leaks
-shifts into gears without hesitation or clunks (didn't drive yet though)
-two new tires in front
-windows and door locks work, sunroof functions but don't know about water tightness

The bad, or not so great:
-Has poor tires in back (one is dry rotting)
-lca bushings look almost shot
-filthy interior
-no service records of TB
-P0605 code
-greenish-yellow sludge under the oil cap

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Run away or go for it? Dealer selling at Cash Sale only (no finance), wants $1900. 103k miles.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
hmmm...would definitely need a coolant flush however no way to know how long it was in there or what kind of damage done to thermostat...check the water pump for leaks. should be easy to spot. I would drive it to make sure that it does shift correct. two new tires.. 200-250.. check the manufacture date on those new tires up front. Bushings are source-able and maybe you can get them pressed in.

Detailing is $50-100, code is the ECM.. if you have emissions testing in your state you wont pass til that code is gone from the dash right?

Sludge under oil cap could be just condensation.. i had that on mine before or it could be the sign the head gasket is gone...

Not sure i would risk it for $1900...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't, but I'm biased. Get something you know will be reliable, not an 18 year old vw. Unless you just plan on buying another car in a year once she has more experience driving.

I had a 2001 VR6 and everything on that thing was falling apart, but I also live in Florida where the sun contributed heavily to the headliner in my 2011 GTI falling before the car was even 3 years old. Things I can remember about my 2001 gti...the interior was falling apart, drooping headliner, all the soft touch on all the panels was falling apart, I had to sawzall my glovebox open when the handle snapped right off, before my recommended timing chain replacement I stretched a chain and broke a couple teeth on the sprocket, and I had at least a couple coolant leaks from all the hoses and plastic pipes cracking...it also burned a ton of oil all the time.

When I noticed I was spending more money at the shop every month than a new car payment would be it was time to get rid of that junker. It wasn't a bad car until it had about 100k miles and it was 10 years old, but after that shit went downhill quick. I'll be getting rid of my mk6 about the time it gets to 10 years old as well, but I'll be under 100k miles still.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
That yellow stuff under the oil cap tells me there is coolant/water in the oil. Not good, plus they have put the wrong coolant in there to replace what has leaked out. Keep on looking.

ce4

Ready to race!
Between the info I've received here (much appreciated) and over on the vortex, i'm walking away. Can't bring myself pony up the cash for something that's more than likely gonna be double in repair bills in less than a year. I'm very confident in my mechanical inclinations but this is just screaming at me to walk away.

Thanks again!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I would stick with a reliable beater. Can't go too wrong with a Honda or Toyota. It can be fairly reliable while cheap for an older one. Over 100k it would still be young.

herrerafavian2

Agreeing with everyone else. I would pass on this ticking time bomb of a headache you're interested in. Keep looking around. Plenty of used Hondas and Toyotas that are more 16 year old friendly with better piece of mind on your end. Good luck though!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If you like your GTI and want to stay in the VW family, get a '08-09 Rabbit or '10-14 Golf, both use the bullet proof VW 2.5 engine, since buying the '10 Golf 2.5 for my Son the cost of maintenance/repairs has been very low, similar to Honda / Toyota.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
It breaks my heart to say this as a car enthusiast but I'd get a Japanese beater car like a Corolla or Civic or a VW with the 2.5 as stated above over an almost 20 year old Mk4 VW any day of the week. That's especially true if I'd be buying a car for my teenage kid.

torga

Autocross Champion
I agree with a beater Corolla or a Honda. First car was a 1995 Celica with a Corolla engine and that thing was invincible with just timely maintenance. Parts are stupid easy to find and very cheap. Great, frugal first cars for someone to learn on. Your kid can get something quick later.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I'd spend a little more and grab a 04 Toyota Corolla for her. These damn things are tanks and a buddy has one as a beater with over 250k and the A/C still friggin works. (Pisses me off actually lol.)

I'd forgo a Civic in that price range, because I bought one and it had nothing but small, stupid, and annoying problems with it. The driver seat lumbar support failed and cause me to rock during acceleration and when I hit the brakes. The seal on the front window peeled off and caused an air leak that whistled over 40MPH. The keyless entry was faulty as crap and would sometimes not disengage the alarm. I'd go to open the door and the alarm would go off and this seemed to happen at the worse possible times (in car garages). Countless other frustrating problems that were easy fixes, but just crappy timing. I thought it was bad luck, but I went and 'looked' at another Civic of the same generation on a used car lot. It had the exact same developing problems too!

Last edited:

ce4

Ready to race!
Thank you all for the words of advice!! It all has been truly appreciated and considered. We actually ended up getting her a 97 mazda protege (i know blah and boring), with 140k on it. She's 16 and needed blah and boring and not fast. i think the little 85ish HP 1.5l 4 cyl sedan that mazda put out will work great! only thing i've had to do so far is change spark plug wires, valve cover gasket and add a stereo and some rear speakers. still into this thing for less than $1500 so far :D growing up my buddies parents had mazdas or toyotas and agreed, total tanks and easy to fix.

Thanks again everyone!

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Thank you all for the words of advice!! It all has been truly appreciated and considered. We actually ended up getting her a 97 mazda protege (i know blah and boring), with 140k on it. She's 16 and needed blah and boring and not fast. i think the little 85ish HP 1.5l 4 cyl sedan that mazda put out will work great! only thing i've had to do so far is change spark plug wires, valve cover gasket and add a stereo and some rear speakers. still into this thing for less than $1500 so far :D growing up my buddies parents had mazdas or toyotas and agreed, total tanks and easy to fix.

Thanks again everyone!

I probably would have gone newer myself but definitely a more reliable choice than a 2000 Jetta.