GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI check engine light comes off and on

dargudin

Hi i was wondering if anyone had this problem and knows whats going on.

My 2012 gti has about 95k miles on it and the check engine light came on but it didn't feel like anything was wrong.So i went to three Different auto zones to have them scan for error coeds but when they tried to pull up the error code in their system it would just not load. after i left the third one the check engine light turned off so i went to the dealer to see if they could pull up what the code was and they said it was just a glitch in the ECU. about a week later the same thing happened, the check engine light came on and i went to O Rileys and they couldn't read it either. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

zrickety

The Fixer
Odd that a dealer would say it's a 'glitch in the ecu.' Never heard that one. It was likely a random misfire but a code would be easy to read. You may want to try a hard reset...disconnect the positive battery terminal for 10 min. Speaking of battery, if it's original or it's been a few years, our cars are very sensitive to that. A weak battery will eventually cause all kinds of lights and codes, when there is no real issue but the battery.