GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Replacements?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
that's the same battery I bought last month from Costco after my OEM finally gave out. I think i was my fault.. couple days of playing radio while i did maintenance stuff.
Too bad we cannot get the Euro OEM battery.. it lasted 8 years for me. ...doubt the Kirkland will give me the same type of life but.. it fits!

audiohs

Passed Driver's Ed
I picked up a Kirkland battery for my R this past winter after my original battery finally died. Fits fine and I was able to reuse the insulation blanket. I had ordered an aftermarket blanket off Amazon but sent it back since I didn't need it. There's a huge thread on RFD that talks about car batteries. I used that as a reference point to try to determine the manufacturer of all the different brands of batteries.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
LOL, mine was fine too. Just needed a quick boost from my basement-stored (with Battery Tender Junior) Costco marine battery and then a couple of battery charger sessions to get it back to normal. Everything looks good with the Princess Auto Autel AL439 tester. I think the car didn't see enough use as we entered the cold. Started up just fine both yesterday and today which were even colder mornings, around -15C or so.

But that first day I did lots of preliminary shopping and thought I would post up the results. First of all, when this 6yr&1mo old battery craps out, I will be getting another OEM one from the dealer.

The old Varta part # 5K0915105D has been superceded by a stronger one with part # 000915105DEDSP. The old one has served me well and the specs are changed (i.e. improved) as follows: 60 Ah to 61 Ah, 280 A DIN to 330 A DIN, and CCA of 480 A to 540 A. Two dealers at $138 and one at $139.38. Since my weaker one is past six years and still going, the new one is what I will eventually buy and stay OEM and hope for even lengthier and superior service....

Just picked up the same Kirkland battery. as my second battery purchased 3 years ago from the dealer had died, I chose this as I found the second battery didn't last as long as the original, didn't know they weren't the same battery just assumed that the dealer sold the original ones. I'll give this a go and hope it lasts longer, it has a better warranty too! oh and i had no problem fitting the insulation back around the Kirkland H6 just put in on before connecting the terminals. Cheers

that's the same battery I bought last month from Costco after my OEM finally gave out. I think i was my fault.. couple days of playing radio while i did maintenance stuff.
Too bad we cannot get the Euro OEM battery.. it lasted 8 years for me. ...doubt the Kirkland will give me the same type of life but.. it fits!

Been following this Post since 2017, when I was thinking of replacing the original battery Nov 2009 Battery. Well its 2019 and the battery is still going.
I'm not gloating but thinking seriously once again to replace the battery before it leaves us stranded somewhere; as it came close to biting the dust but I was able to recover it with my Canadian Tire Intelligent Charger.

Been doing some research and it's not about getting the original OEM Varta Battery but more about getting the right type of battery. As documented by NotMoneyGuy above, there are two type of Varta Batteries.

I found that during the MK6 model years VW changed over to AGM Batteries from regular Flooded Lead Acid (FLO) type and Alternators with two stage charging. I don't have exact dates but happened some time during/after 2011. AGM Batteries are delicate and fail quickly when over charged, so putting a new AGM Battery into your car with the old style charger without two stage charging,....could result in frequent battery replacements caused by the over charging.

Consumers Report (CR) recently did an article on the rising cost of Automotive Batteries and basically concluded that battery manufactures are producing more AGM batteries hence the increased cost.

Since we have a 2010, I'm now thinking of getting a cheap FLO battery instead of an AGM one. I haven't found one yet tho, but the cheaper battery would most like be a FLO and the expensive ones be AGM, about the same size but higher capacity.

If you have a new model year, AGM battery is for you, go for it.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The Germans really know how to complicate simple things

We should be Coding the Batteries when we replace then. :yikes:

Found this stuff on VW/Audi Batteries as well.

This under charging Scenario can happen when you don't reset the Battery Manager.

Battery Coding using Ross Tech
https://youtu.be/IJAScg6JrYI

As per the Comments, As long as you buy the same spec (type and Ah) you just use the existing coding part number and add 1 to the serial or some other value that keeps the length the same but changes the value.

Last edited:

AM407

Autocross Champion
A year ago I put a Cdn Tire Eliminator AGM in my 2010 GTI. Did a bit of research at the time, and seemed like the AGM is a perfectly acceptable drop-in replacement. Yeah, the alternator may not be ideal for AGM charging, but in the real world it’s fine. So far so good, but it’s only been a year.

Also put an AGM in our other vehicle that didn’t come stock with one. That’s been 2-3 years now and also no issues. Guess I’ll wait and see how long they last.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
A year ago I put a Cdn Tire Eliminator AGM in my 2010 GTI. Did a bit of research at the time, and seemed like the AGM is a perfectly acceptable drop-in replacement. Yeah, the alternator may not be ideal for AGM charging, but in the real world it’s fine. So far so good, but it’s only been a year.

Also put an AGM in our other vehicle that didn’t come stock with one. That’s been 2-3 years now and also no issues. Guess I’ll wait and see how long they last.
Good to Know, my goal is to install it and never have to think about it, much like the one that came with the car.

I may not have a choice, eventually they will all be AGM, it may work is if the alternator has low current output.

Last edited:

AM407

Autocross Champion
I got 8 years out of my original battery and it was still ok (not great, but ok) when I replaced it. I was really tempted to see how long it would last, but thought I’d feel pretty stupid if I ended up stranded on some -30 degree winter day.

zrickety

The Fixer
I have been putting AGM batteries in a number of vehicles with no ill effects. Mini Cooper to Chevy. I've never heard of the BEM tag, but I suppose resetting the adaption is not a bad idea. Never heard of it though. Usually everything resets when you pull the battery...

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have been putting AGM batteries in a number of vehicles with no ill effects. Mini Cooper to Chevy. I've never heard of the BEM tag, but I suppose resetting the adaption is not a bad idea. Never heard of it though. Usually everything resets when you pull the battery...
The BEM only applies to the VW/Audi Batteries, if you look at the top of the older Varta Battery you can see the BEM Label.

Thanks zrickety for pointing out that everything will reset when the battery is pulled and replaced; in the case of our 2010 Golf that maybe the case.

....This under charging Scenario can happen when you don't reset the Battery Manager.
https://youtu.be/JRQCWNzguic....
As per the scenario, FOR the new cars with two stage alternator charging where VW has designed the alternator to stop charging when capacity is reached, it can under charge the battery.

Last edited: