GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How important are alignments?

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I had a Civic, and I bought a "lifetime alignment package" from Firestone. It was $160, and I got an alignment every time I got the oil changed and tires rotated.

I've had my GTI for 5 years, and I got the first alignment done yesterday. I was getting a lot of road noise, a bit of shimmying in the steering wheel at 70mph, and it was pulling a bit to the right.

This all became pronounced a few months ago when I had the winter tires changed for the all-seasons. The tire shop that does the changeover wants me to do an alignment every time I do the changeover. That's twice a year. I don't take the GTI to Firestone, so I would need to pay $100 every time. Instead, I just ignore it.

Anyway, after the alignment, it still pretty much drives the same. The shimmy is gone, but they also re-balanced the tires.

How often do you guys get an alignment? Is it important? A waste of money?

torga

Autocross Champion
Alignments are extremely important - an unaligned car will tear through suspension components much more quickly due to unaccounted vibrations.
Getting an alignment with a tire change is reasonable. Just pay for another lifetime alignment with Firestone and be done with it.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
IMO, getting alignment with each tire rotation (every 5000 miles) or even seasonal alignments a bit much. I'll get an alignment when I change a suspension component or if I'm experiencing any symptoms.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What Torga said and yes every 5k miles is too much IMO.

Also I came from Honda’s and they are not as picky about alignment and hold it very well. The Civic is an economy car which is a different animal then the GTI.

torga

Autocross Champion
IMO, getting alignment with each tire rotation (every 5000 miles) or even seasonal alignments a bit much. I'll get an alignment when I change a suspension component or if I'm experiencing any symptoms.

I agree about every rotation being too much, but OP is talking about an alignment every time they change a whole set of tires.

Edit: Disregard, I missed that part in the original post.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
It should be done when the alignment parts are moved (like when you lower the car or change out bushings) or worn to the point that the alignment is out of spec.

Changing wheels doesn't require an alignment since none of the suspension parts are being moved relative to each other. He's just trying to get an easy $100 out of you twice a year.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

But really...I only worry about my alignment if my car is pulling me to the side or if tire wear is uneven.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Like has been said if you feel something isn't right or you have odd tire wear get an alignment. If you've had the parts removed & installed get an alignment. But don't go to Firestone or any chain place like that. Find the best shop in your area & use them. Ask the local racer's & auto-Xer's who they use.