GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?

adema69

Ready to race!
Might as well look into the apr crate engine. After the core charge your looking at like $3,500 for the long block.

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm still searching for an engine, have a couple of options. Still weighing the $4500 offer also! Tough to turn that down. The title is in the mail, so decision time is coming soon since the offer won't last forever.
I've been watching a lot of DIY engine removals, (not for a MKVI GTI, I don't see a lot of those on there) and a lot of Passats, an A3 and older Golfs take the motor out of the front on the car. They unbolt the front end, radiator etc and they have access to the whole front end/engine. Is this an option? Can I take the motor out from the front? It doesn't look too bad.

Last edited:

Hijinx

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm still searching for an engine, have a couple of options. Still weighing the $4500 offer also! Tough to turn that down. The title is in the mail, so decision time is coming soon since the offer won't last forever.
I've been watching a lot of DIY engine removals, (not for a MKVI GTI, I don't see a lot of those on there) and a lot of Passats, an A3 and older Golfs take the motor out of the front on the car. They unbolt the front end, radiator etc and they have access to the whole front end/engine. Is this an option? Can I take the motor out from the front? It doesn't look too bad.

Have you tried Car-part.com ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, that expands my engine options! Thanks, I'm going to scour this site for local engines. I think 40,000 miles is very doable. Ebay is full of 80K-plus motors asking $3K, no thanks

Last edited:

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
Im almost 40 and I found over the years that working on cars, for the most part, is just taking things apart and putting them back together. The trick is knowing the order. But that's what forums like this and youtube is for. You can always use your phone or a camera to record you taking it apart up close. Then you can watch what you did upon reassembly. I always took the money I saved and just bought tools with it. That way I had tools later down the road to work on things.
I have used car-part.com a ton in the past, and forward air used to be a good resource for shipping across the US, not sure about now.
You can do it though!!

GreggGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Right on Bheit, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm almost 40 also (three months, man it goes fast! The full-time college student throws a lot of people off.). I agree, as long as I document it (which I will exhaustively) and photograph the parts, it's a matter of taking the old one out and putting a new one in. I'll manage with this forum's help hopefully!
My highest offer off craigslist was full price asking, $5000 and I turned it down. I had the car towed back to my house and fell back in love with it. I couldn't let it go. My kids won't let me either!
I manned-up and pulled the trigger on a used motor to do the job myself. I did use Car-part.com and negotiated a 2013 2.0 TSI with 41K miles for $2400 shipped to my door, that was awesome. Even showed me a video of it running, so I know it's good. Be here Thursday. I'll have to swap accessories and turbo, hoping my turbo didn't swallow any shrapnel, fingers crossed. First two of many questions:
I went 2013 motor because this one will have the correct, fixed tensioner right guys?
Can someone help me identify off-hand what gaskets I will need before it turns into a showstopper? I know there will be some speed bumps, but if I can avoid them beforehand I would love to.
Thanks everyone so far and stick around for the drama!

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Wow yes. In4swap build. Good price on a 2013 motor with like no miles on it too. [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
First two of many questions:
I went 2013 motor because this one will have the correct, fixed tensioner right guys?
Can someone help me identify off-hand what gaskets I will need before it turns into a showstopper? I know there will be some speed bumps, but if I can avoid them beforehand I would love to.
Thanks everyone so far and stick around for the drama!

I believe engines with a build date after 9/12 (?) have the updated tensioner. Easy enough to check (especially with the engine out of the car) by pulling the rubber inspection plug out:

Humble Mechanic Video: Timing Chain Tensioner Check DIY

As far as gaskets, I would buy a turbo install kit which will include the exhaust manifold gasket, downpipe gasket, oil/water line gaskets/o-rings, and all studs/nuts. Off the top of my head that's all the gaskets I can think of but I'm sure there are some oil/water line gaskets/crush washers needed as well. Technically you should replace all motor/trans/dogbone mount bolts since they are torque-to-yield but plenty of people reuse them.

You'll probably need a set of triple square and torx bits if you don't have them already.

Here's a VW quick reference manual with lots of good info and torque specs: http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/use...ion%20Book.pdf

Here's a few links to online VW service manuals. Use the link tree at the left to navigate.

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...ne_chain_drive)/technical_data/engine_number/

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...tor/component_information/service_and_repair/

Best of luck and be sure to take pictures for the forum's enjoyment :thumbsup:. I think you will find the engine swap quite manageable.

Last edited:

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
Its pretty funny I commented on this a few days ago. Yesterday the waterpump went out on mine and because of lack of time this week I put it in the shop. While it was there mine has developed quite the thirst for oil the last 2 months so I had them look into it. Burned rings on #2#3. I was given the option of letting it go until it grenades, then a long block, or new pistons/rings and go through the engine now. I chose option B as I don't have time plus I have back problems and am already currently waiting for a surgery in the spring with me. So in a week or so mine should be good to go after I pull a bunch of money out of my ass, lmfao..

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Its pretty funny I commented on this a few days ago. Yesterday the waterpump went out on mine and because of lack of time this week I put it in the shop. While it was there mine has developed quite the thirst for oil the last 2 months so I had them look into it. Burned rings on #2#3. I was given the option of letting it go until it grenades, then a long block, or new pistons/rings and go through the engine now. I chose option B as I don't have time plus I have back problems and am already currently waiting for a surgery in the spring with me. So in a week or so mine should be good to go after I pull a bunch of money out of my ass, lmfao..

That is crazy, so sorry to hear. Is your GTI stock? How did this happen?

Jeff

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
That is crazy, so sorry to hear. Is your GTI stock? How did this happen?

Jeff

I just bought it this past summer, it was in immaculate condition and the previous owner had some mods done to it. intake, downpipe, GFB DV+, COBB ap with a tune from stratified. It had already had a new chain and the tensioner changed about 30k ago. It currently has 116k on the ticker. I have a feeling the previous owner knew something was up with the consumption. I did my homework for the most part about what to look out for, oil consumption being part of it. He told me it burned some oil and he topped it off weekly. At the time when I asked how much he had to top off a week he didn't know, but after I had the car for a month and it was going through a quart a week I think he chose not to tell the actual amount. The reason I say this is because the guy was very detailed and knowledgeable about the car, I mean he took the wheels off when he cleaned it. Im pretty sure he had a damn chart of consumption. It is what it is though and I love the car, just didn't think I would be putting 4k into it less than 6 months into ownership.
The shop told me VW had a bad batch of pistons that ended in 2012 that unfortunately it seems I am a part of. On the bright side once its done I will basically have a new engine. I would have rather spent that money on a K04 and exhaust, maybe one day I will.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I just bought it this past summer, it was in immaculate condition and the previous owner had some mods done to it. intake, downpipe, GFB DV+, COBB ap with a tune from stratified. It had already had a new chain and the tensioner changed about 30k ago. It currently has 116k on the ticker. I have a feeling the previous owner knew something was up with the consumption. I did my homework for the most part about what to look out for, oil consumption being part of it. He told me it burned some oil and he topped it off weekly. At the time when I asked how much he had to top off a week he didn't know, but after I had the car for a month and it was going through a quart a week I think he chose not to tell the actual amount. The reason I say this is because the guy was very detailed and knowledgeable about the car, I mean he took the wheels off when he cleaned it. Im pretty sure he had a damn chart of consumption. It is what it is though and I love the car, just didn't think I would be putting 4k into it less than 6 months into ownership.
The shop told me VW had a bad batch of pistons that ended in 2012 that unfortunately it seems I am a part of. On the bright side once its done I will basically have a new engine. I would have rather spent that money on a K04 and exhaust, maybe one day I will.

I wonder when these "bad pistons" were really made? My car is a 13 but with a production date of June 2012.

Jeff