GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Clamping Force

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I haven't got round to logging the clamping pressure on my Unitronic Stage 2 DSG tune yet but I know it's in the region of 16bar. Note: this isn't the off the shelf tune, it's a DSG tune designed for people on Stage 2+.

The difference this DSG tune has made to my car's performance and refinement is balls-out crazy. The car now shifts smoother than stock, throttle response is immediate and the car now uses the massive amounts pf torque being thrown at it properly.

It still needs to adapt and refine itself for the next week, but I had a smile from ear-to-ear after driving only 5km's with it. The Unitronic Stage 2 DSG tune comes through as highly recommended and should be mandatory when you're on K04 or above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Unitronic stage 2 does NOT increase clamping pressure. A rep from Unitronic confirmed that. Jeez man.

So obviously when you log it, it won't be 16bar of clamping pressure lol.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Oh sorry, the 16bar map seems to be limited to people who know WTF they're doing. My bad. Or, your bad actually. You need to apply your mind when replying to things dude, seriously. Unitronic does not offer the 16bar map off the shelf. That's what the guy said. That does not mean they don't offer a map that does have increased clamping pressure. Does that make sense to you?

Of course they won't offer that map to just anyone. My map was loaded by my tuner based on my mods which deemed it safe for my setup - which includes increased clamping pressure. The only way I can make this clearer to you is to use crayons and pictures.

HPA offers a decent DSG tune, but if you think they're the only ones who can offer increased clamping pressures safely, well, you need to think again. UNITRONIC showed screenshots of their increased clamping pressure ability in a previous post, so why doubt them?

Last edited:

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
You are seriously a piece of work...

Let's see those logs buddy.

Obviously I was REFERRING to the previous post by the Unitronic rep who said they do not offer increased clamping pressure on their OTS DSG tune.

And if you read the actual thread, you would see that I listed all of the companies that increase clamping pressure (other than HPA). I think you're the one who needs a picture drawn out.

So, you have a "special" Unitronic stage 2 DSG software. Lol - okay. You do realize that Unitronic clearly stated they ONLY offer increased clamping pressure on custom DSG software, right?

tsmack

Ready to race!
He stated in his first post that the Uni DSG tune was not the OTS variety, that it was a special tune that he received. Would be great to see some logs from HPA and Uni to validate some info. I will be doing some logs, hopefully by the end of the week with a UM DSG tune with increased clamping pressure. Vagcom cable was shipped!

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Are you retarded? or just trolling? At what point did I say my tune is off the shelf? Hence loaded by my tuner and not via my uniconnect cable at home. You do realize that Unitronic offer various variations on their maps? It's why we have access to about 6 different K04 maps. Same goes for their DSG maps. But whatever, those that know, will know. You seem way too stubborn to grasp what I'm saying which makes arguing with you pointless.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
@tsmack - that VCDS cable you're getting is money well spent - enjoy! Just take care when logging. Eyes on the road and not on the numbers (I speak from experience lol)

tsmack

Ready to race!
I had held off on getting one because my tuner isn't that far away, but decided to just grab one given this topic as well as wanting to learn a bit more about other logs and tweaks.

tsmack

Ready to race!
Got my VCDS cable and installed the software. Now just need to read up on wth I am doing and learn to log some information.

Also had the UM stage I DSG tune installed and all I can say is DAMN! D, S and M mode all improved. D mode is perfect for the K04 and M mode shifts are faster. Launch control works well and I can tell I will need some drag radials to really make use of that or my street tires will disappear quickly.

Car just feels smoother on acceleration all around and this tune is cheaper than other stage I out there at $499. Also enjoy how the DSG now matches the revs and load on both up shifting and down shifting. Was absolutely worth the money.

valj

Ready to race!
It's simple, go to vag-com. Log clamping pressure. Report back.

Let's see if it goes above the stock limits.

Arin, could you kindly advise which groups in VCDS to log in order to check this.

I'm on the Revo K04 high boost file and and I'm experiencing really strange DSG behaviour if I begin rolling immediately after start the car (without giving it time to warm up a bit). It will initiate 1st gear, but when it goes into 2nd the revs shoot up and the car stops pulling. Downshifting it into 1st will make it pull again.

Warming the car up for a couple of minutes fully solves the problem. VCDS doesn;t register any faults, the DSG shifts perfectly.

I had this happen a couple of times on a fully warmed up car as well.

It seems as if the gearbox disengages the clutch beacuse of the elevated torque.

My DSG software is stock.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
So my take aways so far are:

3. DSG tunes without improved clamping pressure are likely not the best choice for aggressive K04 and bigger turbo applications unless you have a tuner that can/will modify your tune should slipping occur and clamping forces need to be increased.

Great info!

I totally agree with this. I'm not a believer on of the shelf tunes no more. Either its an ECU or TCU tune. Even a Stage 2 DSG tune couldn't eliminate my clutch slippage but after getting a custom ECU tune I got it all working well. Lowered the boost and enhanced timing.

So my take aways so far are:

4. Since the amount of clamping pressure increase is limited there is likely little risk of causing any significant issue with heat or damage to the tranny by doing so.

Great info!

I'm wondering about this as it's too hot almost everyday of the year here. Too much clamping pressure in 45C+ isn't a good thing..

Charlotte CC

Ready to race!
Arin, could you kindly advise which groups in VCDS to log in order to check this.

I'm on the Revo K04 high boost file and and I'm experiencing really strange DSG behaviour if I begin rolling immediately after start the car (without giving it time to warm up a bit). It will initiate 1st gear, but when it goes into 2nd the revs shoot up and the car stops pulling. Downshifting it into 1st will make it pull again.

Warming the car up for a couple of minutes fully solves the problem. VCDS doesn;t register any faults, the DSG shifts perfectly.

I had this happen a couple of times on a fully warmed up car as well.

It seems as if the gearbox disengages the clutch beacuse of the elevated torque.

My DSG software is stock.

Why do you think you have increased clamping pressure from stock DSG software?

valj

Ready to race!

That's not what I'm thinking. ! I'm trying to figure out whether it's the clamping pressure which is causing my issue

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!

He thinks his lack of clamping pressure is the problem.

I'm also Revo stage 3 k04. I feel like I could really use a dsg tune. I don't think I'm having any slipping issues. But the trans isn't as smooth as it was when I was stage 2.